Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Williams v. Sergio Martinez

Before we get into the discussion about Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez, why was Paul willing to fight Clottey at 154 but Martinez only at 160? Or am I wrong on that? Maybe it has something to do with their respective titles not being on the line? Or is Martinez easier at 160 than at 154? Mix of the two?

Paul Williams-Joshua Clottey Negotiations Hit a Wall - Boxing News

Paul Williams vs Sergio Martinez Will Be at 160-pounds - Boxing News

Martinez is Paul's toughest fight to date. He matches Paul in speed and although still smaller, not by much. This may actually be a tougher match up for Paul than Pavlik in some aspects. I'm curious as to why Martinez was so excited to take this fight especially at 160. It seems like a winnable but difficult fight for him. He could have waited for Sergiy or fought a rematch with Cintron. Was the money that much different? Maybe a good showing even in loss really propels him up the rankings.

I wonder if Martinez will wear the Vernon Forrest shorts into the ring?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 11-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams v. Sergio Martinez

Martinez at 154 or 160 is much tougher than Clottey at 154 IMO. I would say that seen as Williams was preparin to face pavlik at 160, he maybe feels he won't be absolutely bob on to face Martinez at 154 with what would maybe be draining down to that weight from his original schedule. Possibly drainin down from his original schedule to face Clottey at 154 wouldn't have been such a tall order, where as Martinez prob will be.

All i'm sayin is i'm really really excited about this fight. Although Martinez has alot to prove in my mind, this is his chance, although I like Williams, alot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post
    Martinez at 154 or 160 is much tougher than Clottey at 154 IMO. I would say that seen as Williams was preparin to face pavlik at 160, he maybe feels he won't be absolutely bob on to face Martinez at 154 with what would maybe be draining down to that weight from his original schedule. Possibly drainin down from his original schedule to face Clottey at 154 wouldn't have been such a tall order, where as Martinez prob will be.

All i'm sayin is i'm really really excited about this fight. Although Martinez has alot to prove in my mind, this is his chance, although I like Williams, alot.
    I'm excited for it too at 160 or 154.

What you're saying is Williams felt confident against Clottey at 154 but not so much against Martinez at 154?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post

I'm excited for it too at 160 or 154.

What you're saying is Williams felt confident against Clottey at 154 but not so much against Martinez at 154?
    I dont think its hard to see why, Williams is the draw his advisors will be trying to get him every advantage possible im pretty sure Williams himself will fight them at whatever weight is asked of him, but like I say hes the draw so he has the advantage of dictating, and if this puts the other fighter out of his comfort zone all the better for Williams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know, all i'm thinkin is that his training program still fits to fighting at 160, and maybe he had to boil down a little more than he wanted to to get to 154, boiling down to fight Martinez would be tougher than boiling down to fight Clottey, as i don't think that Clottey is that good to be honest, defo not as good as Martinez. So not boiling down atall and fighting Martinez at his original weight plan (160 for Pavlik) is probably an ideal situation for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

great fight

Shame we wont get to see PW smash pavlik into oblivion but this is about as tough a fight as your gonna get at middleweight.

Williams will take a points decision in a hard fought bloody encounter!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do think this fight would be more competitive at 154. At 160, I have to go more heavily with Williams. I think it will be important, though, for Williams' jab to be working sharply against Martinez. If his timing is off like it was in the first Quintana fight, we could see a similar outcome.

At 154 or 160, I'm definitely more excited about this than Williams v Clottey!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a decent fight. I see Williams winning a decision, but Martinez might well make it tougher than expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez took this fight because he is a real fighter. He believes he can win. Hat off to him even though Tall Paul will beat the brakes off of him. Should be a great fight. Who ever agrees to fight Paul is a true fighter IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya I don't think Sergio is worried about ANYONE in any division. Could be a fatal flaw against Paul. btw. is Paul vacating his titles for this one fight or does he plan on dropping back down to SWW and reigning more pain on those guys?

I give paul a 2:1 against Sergio. Sergio has more than a punchers chance in this fight. He can box and he's a southpaw.

Pauls just coming off fighting one of the best southpaws ever in Winky, so I think this will favor Pwill ... maybe more like 2.5:1
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by uwey View Post
    Martinez took this fight because he is a real fighter. He believes he can win. Hat off to him even though Tall Paul will beat the brakes off of him. Should be a great fight. Who ever agrees to fight Paul is a true fighter IMO.
    Yeah, I agree but don't forget about money, it's not unusual for any fighter to chase a big paycheck. Though, he definitively has balls.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uwey View Post
    Yeah, I agree but don't forget about money, it's not unusual for any fighter to chase a big paycheck. Though, he definitively has balls.
    Isn't he an underwear model or something?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stylistically this is all bad for Williams imo, don't have any time to explain now but I see Martinez taking a decision.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this will be an interesting fight for a while, but Williams will outwork Martinez and I can see it being a wide UD in Williams favour. I really like Williams a lot. His output is insane, he builds up the tempo and then just doesn't stop. I can't see him letting another Quintana type fight happening again.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    It's a decent fight. I see Williams winning a decision, but Martinez might well make it tougher than expected.
    This is a tougher fight than Pavlik IMO. Martinez is quick, he's got very underrated power(he clocked Cintron and Kermit thought he got headbutted), and he's got very good defense...meanwhile Pavlik is just 1 sided.

I really hope Williams comes through this fight with ease, but I think he's in for a LONG night and he's going to have to bring his 'A game'

Thread Information