Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: calzaghe v hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    Yeah Calzaghe landed 3 times as many slaps at Hopkins did punches so he won the fight. He is clearly the greatest Super Middle weight of all time and would have beaten Jones Jr in his prime just as easily in 2000 as he did in 2008. No question!! He is the best slap-paw boxer period. The all time great Tocker Pudwill didn't even make it out of the 2nd round!!!

It's a no-brainer
    Very dry

Prime Hopkins or prime RJJ beat JC imo, but as for this fight, Hopkins wasn't even thrpwing 'slaps' after 5 rounds
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched it live and didn't score and seemed a lot closer than when I rewatched it later to score. Found it pretty easy to score and had joe winning it, don't think that hop landed that many BIG shots on calzaghe, plus there were definitely a few comming from joe's way that hopkins wasn't to fond of. Everyone though sees different things when they watch a fight so...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I made no attempt to score it when I watched it but I remember thinking that Hopkins had edged it. Haven't watched it since and I don't have any intention to 'cos it was turgid, so I'm not going to disagree with those that saw it otherwise.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    time and again i read how close and controvesial that decision was

close? calzaghe landed 27 times as many punches as hopkins

ok maybe you pick the best 3 punches of the fight and they would all be hopkins but those were the only 3 punches he landed

calzaghe had a bad start and hopkins may have even won the first 4, after that it was clear calzaghi all the way

the only thing controversial about it was that it was a spilt decision and not unanimous
    There's no way im rewatching this fight again, twice was enough for me. I had B-Hop winning. He landed the cleaner more effective punches, and had a very good start with the two point round.

I didn't see Joe Calzaghe landing anything clean, most of his punches were blocked, slaps, or wern't landing that effectively. From my memory i can't remember Joe Calzaghe landing an eye catching blow all night.
    Exactly how I feel. Flailing around slapping the air doesn't win fights, clean and effective punching does. Hopkins won by a point IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    Yeah Calzaghe landed 3 times as many slaps at Hopkins did punches so he won the fight. He is clearly the greatest Super Middle weight of all time and would have beaten Jones Jr in his prime just as easily in 2000 as he did in 2008. No question!! He is the best slap-paw boxer period. The all time great Tocker Pudwill didn't even make it out of the 2nd round!!!

It's a no-brainer
    Very dry

Prime Hopkins or prime RJJ beat JC imo, but as for this fight, Hopkins wasn't even thrpwing 'slaps' after 5 rounds
    Agreed. BHop hasn't thrown more than 27 punches in a round since 2006 ha ha

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

ok maybe you pick the best 3 punches of the fight and they would all be hopkins but those were the only 3 punches he landed

calzaghe had a bad start and hopkins may have even won the first 4, after that it was clear calzaghi all the way

the only thing controversial about it was that it was a spilt decision and not unanimous
    There's no way im rewatching this fight again, twice was enough for me. I had B-Hop winning. He landed the cleaner more effective punches, and had a very good start with the two point round.

I didn't see Joe Calzaghe landing anything clean, most of his punches were blocked, slaps, or wern't landing that effectively. From my memory i can't remember Joe Calzaghe landing an eye catching blow all night.
    Exactly how I feel. Flailing around slapping the air doesn't win fights, clean and effective punching does. Hopkins won by a point IMO
    Didn't see much 'Clean and effective' punching from Nard after 4 rounds
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree hopkins landed more single effective punches

but they were so few and far between

calzaghi was forcing the fight and as a result left himself open for these single punches

he outpunched him by so many

i would keep and open mind and watch the you tube vid, and maybe i will some day
    Why not watch the fight and score it within the rules? This fight should of been a UD for Hopkins. Understand this rule. Follow it. And than watch the fight.

"The boxer can only strike with a closed fist using the front knuckle portion of the glove. Slapping with an open hand or striking with the wrist or lace area is illegal. The thumb must be held tight to the fist to avoid eye-gouging."

90% of Calzaghe's "punches" shouldn't even of counted. So how the fuck can anybody have him winning is just moronic.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

calzaghi was forcing the fight and as a result left himself open for these single punches

i would keep and open mind and watch the you tube vid, and maybe i will some day
    Why not watch the fight and score it within the rules? This fight should of been a UD for Hopkins. Understand this rule. Follow it. And than watch the fight.

"The boxer can only strike with a closed fist using the front knuckle portion of the glove. Slapping with an open hand or striking with the wrist or lace area is illegal. The thumb must be held tight to the fist to avoid eye-gouging."

90% of Calzaghe's "punches" shouldn't even of counted. So how the fuck can anybody have him winning is just moronic.
    i just rewatched it, he won very clearly

i watched the hopkins biast version, even on that joe won

hopkins won the first four, or has a case for it, the rest of the rounds he only threw about 4 punches

slaps kisses tickles whatever, even if 90% of calzaghis punches didnt count he still landed a lot more than hopkins

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

i just rewatched it, he won very clearly

i watched the hopkins biast version, even on that joe won

hopkins won the first four, or has a case for it, the rest of the rounds he only threw about 4 punches

slaps kisses tickles whatever, even if 90% of calzaghis punches didnt count he still landed a lot more than hopkins
    100% agree

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins and to some extent Jones Jnr have the ability to make very little, count for an awfull lot. Doesnt matter if you hit them as much as they hit you or more in some cases, it always seems like they are landing the better punches and winning the fight.

I had Joe winning, wouldnt dream of watching the fight again, even the highlights are shite.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i've seen it like 5 times ( sucker for punishment) i still feel hopkins won it.....this belief cowardzaghe landed 227 punches is a joke of somesorts. and thats what was based on his win that he landed that amout......at the gym we showed the younger boxers this fight ( if i'm to suffer there goner suffer ) as a means of how not to punch lol. at best joe landed 150-170 max and that after watching it over and over....watch it again a count for yourselfs lol.

b-hop was robbed that fight he was robbed at the weekend and he was robbed in the first taylor fight

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Hopkins and to some extent Jones Jnr have the ability to make very little, count for an awfull lot. Doesnt matter if you hit them as much as they hit you or more in some cases, it always seems like they are landing the better punches and winning the fight.

I had Joe winning, wouldnt dream of watching the fight again, even the highlights are shite.
    and its rightly so, volume doesnt always win a fight

and as i said earlier hopkins probably landed the best 3 or 4 punches, easily the most eye catching punches of the fight but thats about all he did land

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Compubox was as stupid that night as you are. Calzaghe was barely landing anything. I think it was a close fight, but besides Hopkins clearly not being what he once was, it was evident he was a better fighter.

In most rounds Hopkins is the only one landing real punches. Calzaghe slaps and makes it look like sometimes he's landing punches, but lots of times his punches had no steam on them and Hopkins was rolling with the punch, IMO that shouldn't count for almost anything when it comes to clean effective punching. I had Hopkins winning by a round so with the kd that's 2 points, and that's because in more rounds than not he was landing the better shots, and Calzaghe wasn't landing 20+ punches a round like Compubox would have you believe. If one guy lands 4-5 more punches, but no hard punches, and the other guy lands every telling blow in the round then he wins it, hands down. THe problem is they fought in Las Vegas where mindless aggression and output is favored(even though Calzaghe doesn't apply mindless aggression). We saw Oscar get a split decision loss againt Mayweather where he was clearly outboxed in 8-9 rounds of the fight, but Oscar like Calzaghe got points for throwing meaningless flurries.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins "clean effective punching" is exaggerated by his lack of success in the fight.

Look at these very revealing statistics from Hopkins last eight fights. Apart from the fact that Calzaghe hit Hopkins MORE times than any other fighter in history (I know, all those punches don't count ), the stats highlight that Hopkins had more trouble effectively hitting Calzaghe than any other fighter he faced.

Hopkins - 130/317, (35%) Taylor - 124 of 391, (32%)
    Hopkins - 133/417, (32%) Tarver - 78/437, (18%)
    Hopkins - 152/640, (24%) Wright - 167/618 (27%)
    Hopkins - 127/468, (27%) Calzaghe - 232/707 (33%)
    Hopkins - 172/530, (32% ) Pavlik - 108/463 (23%)
    Hopkins - 205/497 (41%) Ornelas - 113/508 (22%)
    Hopkins - 185/526 (35%) Jones - 82/274 (30%)
    Hopkins - 171/445 (38%) Pascal - 105/353 (29%)

Cazlaghe simply stopped Hopkins game. He should surely get credit for that? And it obviously highlights why the MAJORITY saw Calzaghe win the fight
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw their HBO pre-fight special.

Calzaghe throws 9 punches per second.

I'm like "no way, those aren't real punches. They're more like drum roll on a real tight snare drumhead".

Thread Information