Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Who is good enough to outbox Floyd in the pocket .....ala Leonard-Benitez style

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is good enough to outbox Floyd in the pocket .....ala Leonard-Benitez style

When Im in the mood to watch a consistent boxing match by two masters, I always watch Leonard-Benitez. THese guys wanted to prove their technical superiority so they boxed but what made this fight unique was the fact that that never moved away from each others' punching distance.. It was as if these men made a silent agreement to box but not by moving around the ring so much.. It was strictly about who is more skilled with their hands without all that clinching and moving around which made this fight special..

Im all about technical boxing and i love fights like this one.. When two guys are boxing each other in close quarter for minutes at a time without holding and doing all that other shit to stall the action, we can see who the real boxing master is..

This is one of the reasons why I dislike Bernard Hopkins and Andre Ward.. Hopkins may be known as this godly technician but I dont see him that way.. If he's such a great boxer, he would slip and slide, work his way on the inside like James Toney instead of resorting to clinches. A fighter like Hopkins clinches so much on the inside to stall the action because he's not as skilled as guys like Toney and Leonard.

Dont get me wrong cuz im not saying Hopkins isn't great at what he does.. He's mastered a frustrating style that works well for him so he's skilled in his own way. Same with Ward..

My question is, if somebody was allowed to Box Floyd in close quarters for 12-15 rounds just like Leonard - Benitez, who is skilled enough to beat him??

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is good enough to outbox Floyd in the pocket .....ala Leonard-Benitez style

Leonard had speed to burn, he would have Ko Floyd, Benitez on the other hand both counter
    punches Floyd well a very negative fight, could not pick a winner.!
    Hit man Hearns would have Ko Floyd in about 3 rounds, I do you no something he would have
    made it look easy.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is good enough to outbox Floyd in the pocket .....ala Leonard-Benitez style

Hearns
    Sugar Ray Robinson

Maybe Duran and Curry.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

jon09 Guest

I honestly believe Paul Williams would have given him 1 helluva fight on the inside and outside. But if Mayweather switched to southpaw then it might have been a different story. Other then that probably Leonard, Robinson, Pacman and Duran. Besides Pacman there really is nobody currently that can do it.
    Last edited by jon09; 07-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Whitaker would have a chance. Guys like Leonard didn't have the skill Floyd does on the inside, but he was extremely fast and heavy handed so Floyd would have to watch out.

Duran would make it rough on the inside as well.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    I honestly believe Paul Williams would have given him 1 helluva fight on the inside and outside. But if Mayweather switched to southpaw then it might have been a different story. Other then that probably Leonard, Robinson, Pacman and Duran. Besides Pacman there really is nobody currently that can do it.
    Maywether switch to southpaw? He has never done that?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Who could outbox Floyd?

Tommy Hearns just because Floyd would have to search for a way in given Tommy's length and given his power that would be VERY dangerous

Roberto Duran he was so good in close quarters and very rough but also very good at rolling and picking off shots and countering

Ray Leonard he could box AND brawl and had very fast hands

Pernell Whittaker sooo slick soo fast....only problem would be if he chose to fight too negative a fight.

Oscar De La Hoya in his prime at 147 would have a good shot at it

I think Miguel Cotto could have come close, but he'd have to rely on being more rough and rugged in the ring rather than being all finesse. Zab Judah on his night would have had a decent shot as well and when he did fight Floyd he gave him some trouble.

Floyd is one of the greatest, he's a spectacular athlete

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Maywether switch to southpaw? He has never done that?
    No but that always seemed to be Williams Achilles heal with both his losses coming from southpaws.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will go down in history being underrated because he's not as exciting as Leonard, Hearns etc
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

jon09 Guest

Hector Camacho is usually overlooked but when focused and clean he was a beast with fast hands and great chin who could have pulled off the upset against Money May.

Henry Armstrong was a monster on the inside with great power and chin and liked to rough up fighters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a few theres more,.............Robinson, Armstrong, Gavilan, Basillo, C. Burley, E. Griffith, Hearns, R. Leonard, R. Duran, F. Trinidad, M. Nunn J. Napoles.............

I like P. Whitaker and Oscar and Curry and Starling, to decs. Floyd!!! Theres other that would fight Floyd straight up and have a solid chance to win as he would have!!! Any of the greats would have an advantage in size and strength, Floyd is a very small welter.

Floyd...5'7" 147(very small and not much power)
    Sugarman 5'11"...147
    Gavilan 5'10"...147
    Hearns 6'1" ..147
    Leonard 5'10" .,.147

excellant athlete and boxer but not a ATG at 147lbs! At 135 and 140 he'd be better equiped! Ray.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ray corso View Post
    Heres a few theres more,.............Robinson, Armstrong, Gavilan, Basillo, C. Burley, E. Griffith, Hearns, R. Leonard, R. Duran, F. Trinidad, M. Nunn J. Napoles.............

I like P. Whitaker and Oscar and Curry and Starling, to decs. Floyd!!! Theres other that would fight Floyd straight up and have a solid chance to win as he would have!!! Any of the greats would have an advantage in size and strength, Floyd is a very small welter.

Floyd...5'7" 147(very small and not much power)
    Sugarman 5'11"...147
    Gavilan 5'10"...147
    Hearns 6'1" ..147
    Leonard 5'10" .,.147

excellant athlete and boxer but not a ATG at 147lbs! At 135 and 140 he'd be better equiped! Ray.
    Starling is a guy people forget about, but he was very very good. Had the bad luck to be around at the time Curry was peaking, but I think he would have beaten McCrory, and I think he would beat Mayweather. Bigger, stronger, hit harder, but at least as hard to hit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see some great list of names who can outbox Floyd..

But did somebody mention Trinidad? lol Maybe I saw wrong..

Given his range/reach advantage, Hearns can definitely outbox Floyd in midrange.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Starlings looses to Curry are very tuiff to take but the Bumphus out come was a joke and the Vilella out come as well!! Marlon beats those guys and it was a shame the way he was treated in those fights!
    He & Curry were the best at that time and Marlon did very well with Hearns in some intense spar sessions at Kronk! Starling was also a small welter 5'8" but coul hold 155lbs very well if needed!
    He simply fought alot more in a round than Mayweather chooses too! Probably has a little more pop but not much more! I knew Moochie very well he was from the rival gym to mine as far as the amatuer teams were considered. He often exhibitioned my son to help prep him for coming tourneys!!
    He was trained originally buy F. Mac Buckley from the Nelson/Anderson Boxing Gym Hartford Conn.!!
    I miss the fun at the Hartford Civic Center back in the day when Starling was on his way up!
    Work hard//play harder!! Ray.

Thread Information