Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How DO we beat Mayweather?

I think it's fair to suggest that we need to bring in OPEN analysis to solving the Mayweather riddle. It's not that we don't like Mayweather, but what skills would it take to beat him? I have never seen an online board talk about strategies to beat Mayweather.

Everyone has a fatal flaw. Everyone. What have you noticed that would make Mayweather take it on the chin.

I also think it's safe to say that no one is going to win a decision UNLESS Mayweather breaks both of his hands and doesn't throw a punch for more than half the fight OR gets knocked down at least 4 to 5 times in one fight (unlikely this would happen without a ref stopping the match anyways).

So, we are talk about a knockout here- or at least a TKO stoppage.

I happen to think that Mayweather is susceptible to HARD straight hand shots down the pike. No hooks unless you get him standing straight, which very rarely you see him do.

I think the guy to beat him will be a guy that can throw straight and HARD punches down the pike, straight up the middle. Straight, hard punches to the face and/or chin (preferably a STIFF AND PUNCHY LEFT JAB, or a straight left from the Southpaw stance).

The guy will have to have a "rangy" reach advantage- reach not in sync with his height, kinda like a David Tua, where his reach was nearly 5 inches longer than his height). Not necessarily longer than Floyd's, but sneaky that you won't be able to get out of the way of his punches because you would be thinking it would be an inch shorter than anticipated.

Plus, it will be a guy that can hit back while being hit with one of Floyd's punches. THIS is key. The guy to beat Floyd must have the ability to throw a punch while Floyd is throwing a punch SIMULTANEOUSLY. Timing, timing, timing.... that when you see a punch coming, you swing with it. This is harder to do, but it is the only way to hit Floyd.

Any other suggestions?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How DO we beat Mayweather?

Just rewatch the delahoya fight. He solved that riddle until old age caught up with him. I also think a prime winky wright would have givin may all kinds of trouble with his defense and and stiff jab. In fact he would've stopped Floyd. IMO

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember when Tyson said no one could challenge him with their 'primitive' skills? This is like that...Mayweather fights like an old-school fighter, not totally, but enough to be better than what passes for boxing today.
    Punching when the other guy punches is something you don't see much now, when guys have 'high guards' and take turns.
    To beat Mayweather you have to draw him out and make him lead.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Remember when Tyson said no one could challenge him with their 'primitive' skills? This is like that...Mayweather fights like an old-school fighter, not totally, but enough to be better than what passes for boxing today.
    Punching when the other guy punches is something you don't see much now, when guys have 'high guards' and take turns.
    To beat Mayweather you have to draw him out and make him lead.
    I think that's a real good example. If you allow the guy to counter and fight off the back foot behind the shoulder you are doomed. Mayweather has got to have the best right hand in the sport. Not power wise but variation wise. A effective jab is another one like Oscar used in the first half of the fight while working behind it instead of standing still watching Floyd.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I think it's fair to suggest that we need to bring in OPEN analysis to solving the Mayweather riddle. It's not that we don't like Mayweather, but what skills would it take to beat him? I have never seen an online board talk about strategies to beat Mayweather.

Everyone has a fatal flaw. Everyone. What have you noticed that would make Mayweather take it on the chin.

I also think it's safe to say that no one is going to win a decision UNLESS Mayweather breaks both of his hands and doesn't throw a punch for more than half the fight OR gets knocked down at least 4 to 5 times in one fight (unlikely this would happen without a ref stopping the match anyways).

So, we are talk about a knockout here- or at least a TKO stoppage.

I happen to think that Mayweather is susceptible to HARD straight hand shots down the pike. No hooks unless you get him standing straight, which very rarely you see him do.

I think the guy to beat him will be a guy that can throw straight and HARD punches down the pike, straight up the middle. Straight, hard punches to the face and/or chin (preferably a STIFF AND PUNCHY LEFT JAB, or a straight left from the Southpaw stance).

The guy will have to have a "rangy" reach advantage- reach not in sync with his height, kinda like a David Tua, where his reach was nearly 5 inches longer than his height). Not necessarily longer than Floyd's, but sneaky that you won't be able to get out of the way of his punches because you would be thinking it would be an inch shorter than anticipated.

Plus, it will be a guy that can hit back while being hit with one of Floyd's punches. THIS is key. The guy to beat Floyd must have the ability to throw a punch while Floyd is throwing a punch SIMULTANEOUSLY. Timing, timing, timing.... that when you see a punch coming, you swing with it. This is harder to do, but it is the only way to hit Floyd.

Any other suggestions?
    We stop buying his PPV's.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive have thought about it and my answer is -

with a baseball bat.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Ive have thought about it and my answer is -

with a baseball bat.
    I think @Dark Lord Al has knocked it out of the park.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something I though would work is not going forward.

Going on the back foot and refusing to fight Floyd unless he walks to you.

It would make the fight stink, which essentially hurts Floyd's money/sales of his next fight, so I Imagine he'd come forward to try and make some excitement and make the fans stop booing, then he may be open.

But it's farfetched.

If anyone knew the answer mate, someone would have done it. Quite simply, even at 36, he's unbeatable.

That's from someone who doesn't like him very much.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still think a guy who is just as fast, with a Juggernaut stamina/endurance, k.o power and continues to leave him no room. Match his foot work/speed and punch him anywhere, especially on his bicep/tricep to wear that guard down. Frustrate him by continuing to match his footwork maybe even tangle legs just to get him uncomfortable. DO NOT WAIT FOR HIM LIKE A LOT OF HIS OPPONENTS DO, HE WILL PICK YOU APART! PUSH HIM, HEADBUTT HIM, YOU GOTTA REALLY WANT TO FORCE HIM OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE. Throw an early low blow once a round for the first 2-3 round just to get it in his head, you don't give a fuck you will continue on punching and staying on his ass. DO NOT GET TIRED OR STOP TO MATCH HIS CHESS GAME MIND, CAUSE YOU WI LL LOSE, keep punching and don't worry about losing points cause if you do you would be way behind on points anyways.

I hope all that made sense...

jon09 Guest

I think Paul Williams would have beaten him with reach, speed and workrate.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Every and anything is doable.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tough call. Who we working with against him? Whos our hero? Be nice to have a fighter with everything

Short stocky puncher with a head like a brick?
    Exploit what you know about him. Dont fear his speed right hand, dip your head and block his straight opening rights with your forehead as you dip forward into attacking it covering your chin and face and have your feet in place to move and hook him over the top of it as it returns. If you are that good to be in the ring with him you should be able to pull that one off, he wont throw that right hand again all fight cause it'll be a touch broken.

Others: Throwing straight shots at this chest and where he is moving to never at his head when he is moving sideways with straight shots cause you'll miss and he will counter you (follow the path of the target instead) cause he reads everyone too well and when you got a shot in over the top of one of his arms as he's moving that shot you just threw is then in his way and he'd have to take a second read on you and adjust or follow your arm back so you move in and double up.
    You also could train to meet his punch with a punch like a head on and his hands will come off worse too. theres lots of things but you'd need a fighter who knows why he moves to a certain spot and doesnt just dance around in and out looking for an opening, he is 90% one step ahead of anyone who only works like that.
    You'd have make him get a question in his head and want to change tactics to have any hope at all of landing more than one shot on him per exchange, so you may as well make that one shot really count and know exactly when and how you can get inside on him moving on an already spent side etc and practice that for months. Cant see any other way in on him. Manny may have got lucky cause he would follow the path of a target with weight and speed behind the turn but it was erratic. I Dont think he'd have that reaction anymore.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think one point out of all of this is to NOT be afraid of the speed and accuracy of his right hand.

That means come to Floyd with 3-4 shot combo's, because almost certainly when you hit him he is going to counter. (someone said work rate)

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

There are three guys who at any weight class I think would have been the downfall of Floyd #1 Tommy Hearns, he had power, a great delivery system, range, and he was athletic #2 Roberto Duran, very solid fighting on the inside, good pop on his punches, GREAT at the prefight mind games, solid chin, good at making fighters fight his style GRANTED a Leonard 2 kind of fight could occur with him, but for a big time, big money, 1st shot, I bet Duran would bring his A game and #3 Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whittaker, defensive genius, fast hands, underrated and underused power, and also a master mind game player.

Floyd is an exceptional talent, I mean I didn't even put Ray Leonard in there because at this point in time its hard for me to say. Granted SRL was bigger and could brawl a bit more, but shit Floyd is an All-Time Great as well....you don't get where he is by being a pushover.

I didn't mention Ray Robinson simply because I think that era was different, it's like saying "How would Marciano do as a heavyweight today?". The training is different, the styles are different...not by a little, by a LOT. That said, Ray was super talented and I'd take him in a fight vs damn near anyone from 147 to 160

El Kabong Guest

As far as how do you BEAT Floyd....well get him to bite on a feint, catch him, shake him off you, and flurry like a son of a bitch to try and drop him or stop him. Either that or muscle your way inside and make the fight ugly. Or if you're Tommy Hearns, land your big shot & follow up....other than that IDK...but there IS a way to beat Floyd, there's a way to beat anyone, but it's just a difficult one.

Thread Information