Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Whenever you get a period of time where one guy is super dominant and no one can really challenge him, I think people just automatically assume the period of time stinks. I think Wlad's era is criminally underrated for the same reason. I think a lot of those guys listed were incredible fighters who could have been threats in any era.
    Like Tysons.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The 70s will always take it, and I can't argue, but my personal favourite era is the late 80s to the late 90s. I think it's a really underrated time. It had a lot of depth and an abundance of really solid contenders. The 90s really speak for themselves, but I think Tyson's era goes under appreciated. Tony Tucker was a fucking monster.
    Yes Tucker and Briggs would have been a great if it was not for Tyson.
    Is this a joke?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    The 70s will always take it, and I can't argue, but my personal favourite era is the late 80s to the late 90s. I think it's a really underrated time. It had a lot of depth and an abundance of really solid contenders. The 90s really speak for themselves, but I think Tyson's era goes under appreciated. Tony Tucker was a fucking monster.
    Yes Tucker and Briggs would have been a great if it was not for Tyson.
    Is this a joke?
    Ask @Beanflicker who started it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Tucker was a beast, he had guys relinquishing titles so they wouldn't have to fight him.

He broke his hand a few days before the Tyson fight and then shattered it early in the fight, shit happens in boxing, Tyson was a beast who probably would have beaten him anyway, but Tucker was a bad motherfucker. Michael Spinks ducked him hard.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Tucker was a beast, he had guys relinquishing titles so they wouldn't have to fight him.

He broke his hand a few days before the Tyson fight and then shattered it early in the fight, shit happens in boxing, Tyson was a beast who probably would have beaten him anyway, but Tucker was a bad motherfucker. Michael Spinks ducked him hard.
    Tucker was the lifelong beneficiary of Don King low balling people and generous rankings late on. The guy had big natural skill and ability for sure, but I really doubt Spinks and Foreman were afraid of the man. Asking a lineal champ to settle on a fraction when he was able to make 7,8 times that is a non starter and bad business, King at his calculated finest with all roads to Tyson either way.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Tucker was the lifelong beneficiary of Don King low balling people and generous rankings late on. The guy had big natural skill and ability for sure, but I really doubt Spinks and Foreman were afraid of the man. Asking a lineal champ to settle on a fraction when he was able to make 7,8 times that is a non starter and bad business, King at his calculated finest with all roads to Tyson either way.
    Tony Tucker: My right hand was broken when I fought him I knew Tyson
    couldn’t beat me. A couple days before I was sparring against
    a guy named Young Joe Louis. This guy was doing a lot of
    talking bad about me. I heard this from my sparring partners.
    So I chose him to spar against first because I was gonna put
    him down. I was hitting him real good when I heard a pop in my
    hand When I went back to the corner I knew I had hurt it bad.
    The doctor said I had a small hand fracture. They said I would
    need therapy and to not use it for ten days. I had to fight Tyson
    in less than that. I went in determined though. I was very
    apprehensive to attack Tyson due to the hand. I hit him with a
    right uppercut early and my hand just shattered. It was the
    worst pain ever. I still went on though, that’s why I did all those
    antics and everything. I was supposed to beat this guy, but
    how could I with one hand. With two hands I would have
    knocked Mike Tyson out.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

agree 100%

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get that Tony Tucker was not a big name, but I think you're downplaying the man's skill. The guy was a fantastic boxer, great jab, mobile, and had huge power in both hands. He was a nasty fight and in his prime I say he was a tough night for any HW you could name.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get that Tony Tucker was not a big name, but I think you're downplaying the man's skill. The guy was a fantastic boxer, great jab, mobile, and had huge power in both hands. He was a nasty fight and in his prime I say he was a tough night for any HW you could name.
    Oh no, he absolutely had skill, absolute. But he was similar to many of time as he was also a self saboteur with substance abuse, jumbled management and lack of focus and motivation. I'm still not convinced he wasn't outhustled and boxed vs Orlin Norris. His skill was obvious, its not as if he lacked ample opportunity to show it? But no matter the era if your mind ain't right and the fire wavering, skill means nothing. Having that leech King pulling his strings was a catch 22. His name didn't need to be huge with that connect.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An era with big HWs will be an era with less skill. "Big" and "dumb" go together. This is why LHWs and even middles like Walker, Greb and Conn think they can win the title. And "slow." Can't forget "slow."

Some people think Ali was skilled. He was not. He was fast and, since he fought "big", "slow", "dumb" guys he seemed skilled. This showed when he got slow; even then he got away with it because he was smarter than foreman, etc... Foreman retired and got smarter than the other big dummies he had to fight. watch moorer fight and you'll see and big dumb slow mofo in action.

An era with the most talented HWs, in terms of boxing skill? There was a time when ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott, Archie moore all fought there and that is three very skilled men.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably blasphemy, but I give a slight edge to the heavyweights of the 90's. That is a tough class to beat with Foreman (I feel he was better at this point than during his prime, much smarter), Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Tommy Morrison (not great but very exciting and big puncher), Razor Ruddock (see Morrison but with a better chin), Ray Mercer (inconsistent and lazy at times but great when he was on as in his fights vs. Witherspoon, Evander, Lennox and Morrison), Michael Moorer and Tyson coming back. Guys like Frank Bruno, Bruce Seldon, Bert Cooper, Phil Jackson, Tony Tucker, Herbie Hide and Alex Stewart were solid fighters with good skill.

Tough to beat ATGs like Ali, Frazier and Foreman with guys like Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Shavers, Patterson, Moore...etc., but I just feel like the guys in the 90s had slightly more depth. Boxing was slightly bigger on a global scale with Thrilla in Manilla, Rumble in the Jungle, Fight of the Century...etc., so I can definitely see a case made for the era of the 70s. Tough call.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Appreciate the differences I'm not saying I am right, just giving an opinion.
    No problem, you have some good opinions. have you seen some other posters on here with their opinions such as Foster being able to beat Ali if they fought in 1968?

hahahahaaahaaaahaaa!!!!!!
    ya killin me

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Probably blasphemy, but I give a slight edge to the heavyweights of the 90's. That is a tough class to beat with Foreman (I feel he was better at this point than during his prime, much smarter), Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Tommy Morrison (not great but very exciting and big puncher), Razor Ruddock (see Morrison but with a better chin), Ray Mercer (inconsistent and lazy at times but great when he was on as in his fights vs. Witherspoon, Evander, Lennox and Morrison), Michael Moorer and Tyson coming back. Guys like Frank Bruno, Bruce Seldon, Bert Cooper, Phil Jackson, Tony Tucker, Herbie Hide and Alex Stewart were solid fighters with good skill.

Tough to beat ATGs like Ali, Frazier and Foreman with guys like Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Shavers, Patterson, Moore...etc., but I just feel like the guys in the 90s had slightly more depth. Boxing was slightly bigger on a global scale with Thrilla in Manilla, Rumble in the Jungle, Fight of the Century...etc., so I can definitely see a case made for the era of the 70s. Tough call.
    I mostly agree with your posts but Old George was not as good as young George. Old George would not have fought him.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right here and now,this is the best era ever ,stacked with legendary fighters, Wlad will have to
    be on his toes to keep his crown.
    Last edited by roberto duran legend; 11-21-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Some people think Ali was skilled. He was not. He was fast and, since he fought "big", "slow", "dumb" guys he seemed skilled. This showed when he got slow; even then he got away with it because he was smarter than foreman, etc... Foreman retired and got smarter than the other big dummies he had to fight. watch moorer fight and you'll see and big dumb slow mofo in action.

IMO: excellent Analysis.

Ali had so much mouth, his persona transcended the sport. He could've been the worlds greatest used car salesman. Sell you a 1970 Pinto & make you think you drove off the lot with a Cadillac..and swore you stole from the car salesman!

What a shame, Dundee couldn't or wouldn't discipline a young clay. Force him to understand fundamentals. Teach him that there would come a time when youth dissipates like smoke in the wind.
    Reflexes wither with father time.

Learn fundamentals, gain skill and don't rely on freak-like reflexes and God given talent-alone.

Serious who else in the history of boxing--won a title without having a single highlight reel of them doing (some) (any) body work?

Ali that's who.

What a shame--in my bold assessment Ray Leonard & Roy Jones followed that same path.

Depending so much on talent, they felt no need to do what Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore and yes Bernard Hopkins did: learn the craft & master the art of pugilism.

Thread Information