Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Johnson wins, I've never rated Dempsey very highly.
    I agree.

Also the comment about johnson holding back in the majority of fights is true. He could have been killed anytime as he was so hated in and out of the ring.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey

It would have been interesting to see how Jack Johnson adjusted to the 12-15 rounds and standing in the corner, which Dempsey forgot to do, I am sure it would have actually been easier for him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It would have been interesting to see how Jack Johnson adjusted to the 12-15 rounds and standing in the corner, which Dempsey forgot to do, I am sure it would have actually been easier for him.
    Yup. He blew the Tunney fight and he was the one that asked for the new neutral corner rule.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Yup. He blew the Tunney fight and he was the one that asked for the new neutral corner rule.
    LOL dumb move you would have thought he would have remembered!

What about a peak Dempsey v Tunney?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Tunney can defeat any fighter in the early eras if it was 15 rounder he would of stopped Dempsey. Tunney was way ahead of his time think beats Johnson as well was a hell of a mover for his time.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    I think Tunney can defeat any fighter in the early eras if it was 15 rounder he would of stopped Dempsey. Tunney was way ahead of his time think beats Johnson as well was a hell of a mover for his time.
    And yet he was nearly knocked out by an old Dempsey? What would have a prime version done.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dempsey was arguably still at his peak I think @Master. He was actually favoured to win both fights at least by the betting stubs. I think the 20 foot ring did him in. Had that ring been a 16 footer history may have been written differently.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dempsey was arguably still at his peak I think @Master. He was actually favoured to win both fights at least by the betting stubs. I think the 20 foot ring did him in. Had that ring been a 16 footer history may have been written differently.
    I do not think he was at his peak, he became married to a Hollywood actress, cared about his looks and became civilised. When he fought Tunney he was fighting once a year and was not the hungry fighter that destroyed Willard and Firpo.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not think he was at his peak, he became married to a Hollywood actress, cared about his looks and became civilised. When he fought Tunney he was fighting once a year and was not the hungry fighter that destroyed Willard and Firpo.
    Perhaps not but Willard and Firpo were no Gene Tunney.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were not that is true but if a younger Dempsey could get his hands on Tunney I am sure he would have finished him off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Master you forget Tunney almost finished Dempsey if it was more then 10 rounds he be out cold. Also forget that Tunney only fought once before the rematch with Dempsey was ending his career as well. I believe Tunney with his boxing skills and movement would of beat any fighter from 1910's to 1940s. He was way above his time form what i have seen of him his boxing skills were way ahead of the curve. I mean i didn't see anyone that could box and move like him from that early of a time period to be honest with you.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Master you forget Tunney almost finished Dempsey if it was more then 10 rounds he be out cold. Also forget that Tunney only fought once before the rematch with Dempsey was ending his career as well. I believe Tunney with his boxing skills and movement would of beat any fighter from 1910's to 1940s. He was way above his time form what i have seen of him his boxing skills were way ahead of the curve. I mean i didn't see anyone that could box and move like him from that early of a time period to be honest with you.
    Tunney was good but Joe Louis would have beaten him. Gene may have caused some problems but Joe would have found him in the end.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were not that is true but if a younger Dempsey could get his hands on Tunney I am sure he would have finished him off.
    Again I think it had to do with ring size and style. Still had Jack not stood over Tunney and went to the neutral corner immediately he would have that ko win and in that bigger ring.

Ps- Its 3am here and I got a terrible case of insomnia. I may have to put on a Ruiz fight.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again I think it had to do with ring size and style. Still had Jack not stood over Tunney and went to the neutral corner immediately he would have that ko win and in that bigger ring.

Ps- Its 3am here and I got a terrible case of insomnia. I may have to put on a Ruiz fight.
    Watching and thinking of Michael Moorer does it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson would have been motivated and prepared for Dempsey. But that would not have been enough. Even during his prime, which was actually before he won the title, Johnson would have his hands full against an aggressive prime Dempsey. Styles make fights and, while Johnson could certainly outbox Dempsey, he would always have trouble with Dempsey's aggressive style.
    A fight at this time would have been much like Tyson v Holmes. The wiser Johnson would use his skill to ward Dempsey off early. But Johnson would never be able to keep it up. Dempsey would break through at some point in time and put an end to the matter.
    Dempsey by KO in 4.

If both met during their respective primes, in 3 separate scenarios, I see Johnson taking the series 2/3, winning two on points and Dempsey one by KO.

Thread Information