91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward V Barrera

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I have a pretty good idea why it bothers you
    Because it's a double standard, and I believe all boxers should be judged by the same standard, regardless of where they are from.

Nationalistic commentating is a blemish on the sport. The love for Ward blinded the HBO commentators to Barrera's punches. I'm not saying Sullivan won, but Ward wasn't dominating as much as they were saying (his face was more marked up than Barrera's after the fight).

Some commentators and journalists (writers) RISE ABOVE IT and are fair and objective (such as Raul Marquez, Hopkins, Tarver, Rafael, etc.)

Kellerman, Gilfoid, Sheridan, BJ Flores and a few others are truly awful for it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That wasn't actually the reason I had in mind

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Because it's a double standard, and I believe all boxers should be judged by the same standard, regardless of where they are from.

Nationalistic commentating is a blemish on the sport. The love for Ward blinded the HBO commentators to Barrera's punches. I'm not saying Sullivan won, but Ward wasn't dominating as much as they were saying (his face was more marked up than Barrera's after the fight).

Some commentators and journalists (writers) RISE ABOVE IT and are fair and objective (such as Raul Marquez, Hopkins, Tarver, Rafael, etc.)

Kellerman, Gilfoid, Sheridan, BJ Flores and a few others are truly awful for it.
    I've said it over and over again. Americans aren't nationalistic when it comes to boxing. They more care about the name than the ethnicity. Ward is just good. If Ward were British, British commentators would be way worse about him.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well wards a potential earner for HBO, they wont bash him on a performance regardless because he's on their banner. They did mention the time out of the ring for various reasons. Whether that was a slight or setting up for possible underperformance or the contrast of an over achieving.... they did mention it.

I didn't really rank Barrera high. As I said there was a reason he was chosen for Ward. Ward definitely had the opportunity to run away with it if barrera started slowly. Barrera seemed really stiff to me also. As for the foul, the hitting on the break and blind side Hopkins tactics, its par for the course with Ward, so I didn't expect it to highlighted. To my surprise he got called and the ref gave barrera a gimme because Ward was pitching the shutout. If it was a close fight, that's a warning at best.

That being said, ward did a good job of controlling distance on Barrera. I didn't see too many significant shots from barrera land, no matter what Abel Sanchez said. I can see Kovalev having fits with Wards, technique of staying outside, trying to counter, bridging the distance and clinching and trying to shoulder and then waiting his opponent out and throwing flurries when he tries to free his arms or steps backs to regain his leverage. and then repeating to stifle offense and create opportunities for himself.

Now more than ever, part of me is begging for Kovalev to stop this "I want to beat him in Oakland" nonsense. Not that I think the scoring for this fight was swayed by the overplayed cheering at every blocked punch or flurry by Ward, but could be... and just for the sake of acting more like a pretty much unified Champ and not like a challenger in accommodating a primadonna off a long layoff who never fights out of his home town. Ward isn't on house arrest and is perfectly capable of leaving the vicinity to prove himself. The fight doesn't have to be in russia or Florida? (is that where kovalev planted himself) Just not Oakland.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go watch the fight again with the sound off. Ward stood right in front of dude and made him miss. Those counter hooks made dude think twice about throwing punches. DID you not hear Barrera's corner complaining to him?

Maybe your disdain for ward blinded you to the ass whopping he handed barera.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do some say Ward hasn't lost since he was 12? Not true.

Ward had 5 amateur losses.

He only fought ONCE at world amateur level, in the then-weak light heavyweight division in the 2004 Olympics (he avoided talented middleweights like GGG and Dirrell).

Amateur Record: 114-5
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-30-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do some say Ward hasn't lost since he was 12? Not true.

Ward had 5 amateur losses.

He only fought ONCE at world amateur level, in thethen- weak light heavyweight division in the 2004 Olympics (he avoided talented middleweights like GGG and Dirrell).

Amateur Record: 114-5
    It says he started when he was 9. Were those losses from between 9 & 12 years of age? It also says "extends his winning streak since 1996."
    That would make it correct wouldn't it? Or am I missing something?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    It says he started when he was 9. Were those losses from between 9 & 12 years of age? It also says "extends his winning streak since 1996."
    You are. Many people start boxing at age 9 or 10, but don't participate in real tournaments until their teens.

All five of Andre Ward's official amateur losses came after age 12. His last OFFICIAL loss was in 2004.

Also he SHOULD have lost the Olympic semi-final in 2004, his opponent was robbed.
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-30-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    You are. Many people start boxing at age 9 or 10, but don't participate in real tournaments until their teens.

All five of Andre Ward's official amateur losses came after age 12. His last OFFICIAL loss was in 2004.

Also he SHOULD have lost the Olympic semi-final in 2004, his opponent was robbed.
    I have no idea whether you are right or wrong, but all I know is that people have always said he was unbeaten since he was 11 or 12, and the profile you posted from Boxrec confirmed that.
    I'm not bothered either way and don't want to make an issue of it , but you posted it , and if there is anything that says differently, I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of surely?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

from my googling it seems like andre wards last losses were in 1998, so i guess he was 14 then and not 12, HBO should consider dropping him over this !

who did ward lose to in 2004?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward is very good. He's just hard for me to like and get behind even living a couple of hours away from Oakland as I do.

HBO were hyping him out the ass the other night, so that doesn't help his appeal. He's just bland and underwhelming in there. If he would take on that Artur Beterbiev and dominant him before fighting Kovalev that'd be very impressive.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm on the same page as @Hulk on Ward only I live a little further away. Its not extreme in my view to go as far as to call him an underachiever. He could have been a household name by now and the heir to you know who by dominating the last 5 years instead of sleeping through it. Selfish on my part though because its not very often one gets the opportunity to see the masters. Its disturbing to me that a guy this talented would be satisfied with mediocrity. Imagine Jordon deciding to play only half a game his entire career or Sanders only wanting the ball a couple of times a quarter. Ward has quite literally squandered 5 years of his prime.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward is a very good fighter and probably not as special as I thought he was. I had him being the next Hopkins but he does not take chances that B Hop did.

At least Ward if fighting and getting back on track. He has a lot of catching up to do but it is a slow train that he is on.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only just noticed (doh!) I might be mistaken, but no British TV channel has picked up this fight. Now Ward haters will jump on the "he's boring" bandwagon, but whether he's liked or not, it can't be denied that he's one of the best boxers and biggest names in the sport , and I'm amazed it can't be seen on British TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In 2004 ward did lose!!! He actually won the Olympic gold medal that year. But Kovalev lose to Korobov in the 2004 Russian tournament. Do that research!!!

Thread Information