Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    You can try and say Alvarez hasn't fought anyone, but the version of Cotto, Trout fought, wasn't any better then the version of Mosley, Canelo fought. Point being, Trout's record and/or competition as a Jr. Middleweight isn't better then Canelo's.

Canelo is young, strong, and he ain't a shot version of Cotto. Trout is going to have his hands full keeping the fully energized Alvarez off of him.
    I believe Alvarez wins a fair & square UD or takes Trout out in one of mid to late rounds.
    Shane has not let his hands go since he sliced up Margarito and has been a questionable 154 pound fighter since he won the second Oscar fight. Imo Trout beat a better version of Cotto then Alvarez did in Shane. And if Cotto is so used up why was Alvarez licking his chops hoping to meet Cotto following a win over Trout. Trout kinda derailed those plans.

In addition Alvarez has had 42 fights to Trouts 26 and since winning the youth welter title and moving up to 154 has not fought one legit 154 pounder let alone a prime one save Rhodes.

I have never said that this would be an easy fight but that Trout will most likely win and lose on the cards. This to me is one of these situations where although the coddling leads to an impressive record on paper it hurts you when a real test comes along. If I'm wrong then hats off to Alvarez.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 04-18-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    You can try and say Alvarez hasn't fought anyone, but the version of Cotto, Trout fought, wasn't any better then the version of Mosley, Canelo fought. Point being, Trout's record and/or competition as a Jr. Middleweight isn't better then Canelo's.

Canelo is young, strong, and he ain't a shot version of Cotto. Trout is going to have his hands full keeping the fully energized Alvarez off of him.
    I believe Alvarez wins a fair & square UD or takes Trout out in one of mid to late rounds.
    Basically what I was trying to say. You probably made your point better though.
    I shouldn't have said Cotto was "shot", but he looked nothing like the Cotto of old when he fought Trout, more like damaged goods. I don't mean that as an insult to Miguel, he'd been through some fucking wars and his heart just wasn't in the Trout fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I shouldn't have said Cotto was "shot", but he looked nothing like the Cotto of old when he fought Trout, more like damaged goods. I don't mean that as an insult to Miguel, he'd been through some fucking wars and his heart just wasn't in the Trout fight.

I agree with your assessment, Mars. Although Cotto lost both fights, the Cotto that lost to Floyd was sharp and on his game. Floyd was just better. Against Trout, however, Cotto looked a little listless. I don't know whether it's age (and wear and tear) finally catching up to him, or what. Cotto's been in some wars... and those will take their toll on any man.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Shane has not let his hands go since he sliced up Margarito and has been a questionable 154 pound fighter since he won the second Oscar fight. Imo Trout beat a better version of Cotto then Alvarez did in Shane. And if Cotto is so used up why was Alvarez licking his chops hoping to meet Cotto following a win over Trout. Trout kinda derailed those plans.

In addition Alvarez has had 42 fights to Trouts 26 and since winning the youth welter title and moving up to 154 has not fought one legit 154 pounder let alone a prime one save Rhodes.

I have never said that this would be an easy fight but that Trout will most likely win and lose on the cards. This to me is one of theses situations were although the coddling leads to an impressive record on paper it hurts you when a real test comes along. If I'm wrong then hats off to Alvarez.
    OK grasshopper, assuming that Cotto was better then Mosley, who the fuck has Trout fought that's a "legit" 154 pounder besides Cotto? Delvin Rodriquez?
    You make it sound like Trout is a consummate old pro who's fought better competition, and Canelo is some overrated mexican kid who's never fought anyone "legit".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I agree with your assessment, Mars. Although Cotto lost both fights, the Cotto that lost to Floyd was sharp and on his game. Floyd was just better. Against Trout, however, Cotto looked a little listless. I don't know whether it's age (and wear and tear) finally catching up to him, or what. Cotto's been in some wars... and those will take their toll on any man.
    The Cotto who fought Floyd would have wiped the floor with Trout, like I said after losing to Floyd, Miguel's heart wasn't in the Trout fight, he looked to be going through the motions. If Trout looks convincing against Canelo, I may see things differently, but I see Alvarez handing him his first loss at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. BTW, dumb move by Trout taking the fight there, his overconfidence will cost him dearly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

I have never said that this would be an easy fight but that Trout will most likely win and lose on the cards. This to me is one of theses situations were although the coddling leads to an impressive record on paper it hurts you when a real test comes along. If I'm wrong then hats off to Alvarez.
    OK grasshopper, assuming that Cotto was better then Mosley, who the fuck has Trout fought that's a "legit" 154 pounder besides Cotto? Delvin Rodriquez?
    You make it sound like Trout is a consummate old pro who's fought better competition, and Canelo is some overrated mexican kid who's never fought anyone "legit".
    My spelling is atrocious at times especially at work but I digress. Trout has fought 26 jr mids, not 20 x lightweight, jr welter and over the hill 147 pounders. I also never said he was some consummate old pro. Trouts going to have his hands full. Alvarez has had 42 pro fights. Its about time he faced some adversity.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some reason I cannot reply quote? Anyway, I do think the Cotto who fought Trout was far better then Mosley in with Canelo. Cotto was active and giving Floyd a decent fight while Mosley was fresh off needing to be literally talked off his stool vs Manny, mentioning quitting and a fugly draw with Sergio 'less not' Mora. I honestly had the feeling Shane was just doing the promotion a solid vs Canelo and renting out his scalp. Once the bell rings its no longer a guys choice to not do whatever he needs to do, be it subtle or outright, the other fighter is making you. Cotto wasn't what he was at top but Trout grabbed the moment and made Cotto wear his years.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

The Cotto who fought Floyd would have wiped the floor with Trout, like I said after losing to Floyd, Miguel's heart wasn't in the Trout fight, he looked to be going through the motions. If Trout looks convincing against Canelo, I may see things differently, but I see Alvarez handing him his first loss at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. BTW, dumb move by Trout taking the fight there, his overconfidence will cost him dearly.
    Trout is from Las Cruces, New Mexico so he's not too far from home. Canelo is the draw and the money man so Trout has to fight him wherever they say basically as long as its not Mexico.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of knowledgeable boxing guys are taking Trout in this one with the consensus being his style is horrible for Alvarez. I also read today that Trout met with Sualimon and he was told it would be scored fairly. Stranger things have happened.

Yesterday I met @NoDoubtTrout and had a talk, he is such a nice man. I promised him neutrality in ring official's decisions if the bout goes

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax;1147851

I agree with your assessment, Mars. Although Cotto lost both fights, the Cotto that lost to Floyd was sharp and on his game. Floyd was just better. Against Trout, however, Cotto looked a little listless. I don't know whether it's age (and wear and tear) finally catching up to him, or what. Cotto's been in some wars... and those will take their toll on any man.[/QUOTE

Trout is from Las Cruces, New Mexico so he's not too far from home. Canelo is the draw and the money man so Trout has to fight him wherever they say basically as long as its not Mexico.
    Fair enough @Hulk, but how many fans do you think Austin will have at the Alamodome?

Really though, although it will help, I don't believe Alvarez will need the home-field advantage, he's going to put a whoopin' on Austin regardless.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heads up homies, the main event starts @10:00 PM ET Saturday night in North America and at 3:00 AM Sunday across the pond in the UK/Europe. Hopefully it will be a whole lot better then Donaire vs. Rigon last Saturday.

April 20
    At San Antonio (Showtime): Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin "No Doubt" Trout, 12 rounds, WBC/WBA junior middleweight unification; Omar Figueroa vs. Abner Cotto, 10 rounds, lightweights; Jermall Charlo vs. Orlando Lora, 8 rounds, junior middleweights

And:

This card starts about 3:00 PM ET in Saturday afternoon in the States/Canukland on BoxNation & Epix, et al, and @8:00 PM in the U.K./Europe.

At London (Epix and EpixHD.com): Nathan Cleverly vs. Robin Krasniqi, 12 rounds, for Cleverly's WBO light heavyweight title; Dereck Chisora vs. Hector Alfredo Avila, 10 rounds, heavyweights; Liam Walsh vs. Scott Harrison.

Should be a fun day of boxing for us Saddoites.

cheers

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    A lot of knowledgeable boxing guys are taking Trout in this one with the consensus being his style is horrible for Alvarez. I also read today that Trout met with Sualimon and he was told it would be scored fairly. Stranger things have happened.

Yesterday I met @NoDoubtTrout and had a talk, he is such a nice man. I promised him neutrality in ring official's decisions if the bout goes

That is just plain weird. I mean its a unification fight. Did Alvarez meet with Mendoza?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also

New York (NBC)

Tyson Fury vs Steve Cunningham
    12 rounds - Heavyweight division (IBF eliminator)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Word is that the Austin Camp is complaning about the judges and have said: "Either they changes the judges or there wont be a fight"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Word is that the Austin Camp is complaning about the judges and have said: "Either they changes the judges or there wont be a fight"

And so it begins. This must be a WBC sanctioned event because the WBA does not seem to be involved. Is it a unified fight or isn't it?

Thread Information