Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Saul Alvarez

Yeah, Saul Canelo Alvarez, his nickname Canelo means Cinnamon cause the dude's got red hair.
    He's fighting Carlos Baldomir on the undercard to Mosely/Mora.

Fantastic technique and fundamentals, textbook stuff; he's been taught well.
    Very aggressive but with composure and defense, very skillful slips with fast powerful counters with either hand.
    Feints, flurries, combination punching. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, straight rights, right crosses, upstairs, downstairs.
    Patient, disciplined, always on-balance and in position to punch. Pressure, conditioning, strong like bull.

Methodically takes a man apart. Very professional looking jobs here.
    At only 20 years old, the 5'9" Alvarez fights like a seasoned pro because he is a seasoned pro having turned pro at 15 years old.
    You're seeing veteran tricks out of this kid.
    Guy can fight at 147 or 154.
    33 wins (25 KOs), no losses, 1 draw.

vs Brian Camechis (31 years old, 19 wins, 2 losses at the time)

vs Luciano Leonel Cuello (26 years old, 26 wins, 1 loss at the time)

On the Mosley/Mora undercard this Saturday night, Saul Alvarez sure ain't gonna f*<k around for 12 rds with Carlos Baldomir to earn a decision; I think the durable Baldomir is gettin' stopped inside 8 rds by this 20 year old kid with Baldomir taking a helluva beating.
    It's a good matchup as Alvarez' level of competition increases.
    There's always the chance an old durable tough vet can take a young fella into deep waters and drown him, but Baldomir is not the man for the job.

At only 20 years old, I really hope this talented dude doesn't fall into the "too much too soon" category and have the resulting troubles: I really hope not.

They ought to try to get him in there with Clottey in the next year or two. That'd be a good name on his ledger.

The class difference in some guys just jumps out at you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul Alvarez

I'm high on Alvarez as well, but I'm not so sure he'll stop Baldomir. His composure is not always the best he can be drawn into making mistakes, but his youth and his chin will help him through the day. Although I can't foresee any problems for Canelo in this fight, I still have some questions over his defensive prowess. And Baldomir if nothing else brings durability he can take a lot of punishment and still maintain into the final stanza.

Bottom line for me is he comes to fight and entertain and in that regard he'll never disappoint.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Baldomir was in an old folks home in Argentina?

Greg you also say his chin will get him through, his chin got clocked by Cotto's tiny big bro, I am not sold on his chin one bit to be honest.

He will beat Baldomir because Baldomir is to old now and the last time I checked he couldn't make 147? So maybe after this fight he needs to step it up against a Quintana or Collazo type level fighter.

Edit that this fight is at 154, so fair enough step in the right direction. Wins this fight with Collazo at 154 would be a top fight to make.
    Last edited by skel1983; 09-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sold on Alvarez at all really. He's exciting and what he has accomplished is impressive given his age, but his defense is lacking and I really think he'll fall short at the upper levels unless he seriously refines his game.

El Kabong Guest

#1 He's a "Day Walker"...neither pro nor con, just a fact

#2 I like the way the guy fights, but I don't think is power is where HE thinks it is.

#3 He's better than JC Jr., has a better resume as well, so pros for actually testing himself a bit

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

Greg you also say his chin will get him through, his chin got clocked by Cotto's tiny big bro, I am not sold on his chin one bit to be honest.

He will beat Baldomir because Baldomir is to old now and the last time I checked he couldn't make 147? So maybe after this fight he needs to step it up against a Quintana or Collazo type level fighter.

Edit that this fight is at 154, so fair enough step in the right direction. Wins this fight with Collazo at 154 would be a top fight to make.
    What happened from there? He recovered quickly and came back strong. To be fair Cotto may be small, but he hits harder than Baldomacarena.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

What happened from there? He recovered quickly and came back strong. To be fair Cotto may be small, but he hits harder than Baldomacarena.

What happened there was he was in trouble against a lightweight, his chin looks anything but solid to me.

ICB Guest

To be honest i know Jose Cotto's KO record is better than average, but from what i've seen of him. He throws alot of punches but he doesn't hit that hard, in his war vs Juan Diaz he showed good workrate but not alot of power.

And as other's have said he's a former Lightweight, that was his first time fighting at Welterweight i believe. And he's a small Welterweight at that, so that is worrying for Saul Alvarez.

IMO Saul Alvarez is a goodish fighter at best, he's a decent all round boxer. But nothing stands out about him, but he could get better being only 20 years old. So maybe im being a bit harsh on him.

But we'll see what the future holds for him, Carlos Baldomir is a decent step up. He's pretty tough guy who's physically strong. But the smart money says Saul Alvarez will be technically too good, and be too youthful for the slower/older Carlos Baldomir. And he should win a clear 12 UD, in a competitive/exciting fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happened there was he was in trouble against a lightweight, his chin looks anything but solid to me.
    So you're saying his chin won't hold up to Baldomir's shots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No not at all, just the way you said his chin will see him through, I don't think his chin will get him through his youth pressure and output will. His chin will be no bearing against an old man like Baldomir who has not got heavy hands.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No not at all, just the way you said his chin will see him through, I don't think his chin will get him through his youth pressure and output will. His chin will be no bearing against an old man like Baldomir who has not got heavy hands.
    But Alvarez is going to get hit, he always does, because his defense is horrible. You make it sound like he's got a glass jaw.
    Last edited by killersheep; 09-18-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alvarez' defense isn't horrible, you're on drugs !

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Alvarez' defense isn't horrible, you're on drugs !

You're kidding right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright....

....the kid's defense could be tightened up just a bit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there are many things to like about "canelo" alvarez. right now he's a super prospect but like all prospects, he still has many questions to answer which will be answered in the next couple of years. right now, he is mexico's number one boxing attraction, with apologies to marquez and all the other great fighters mexico currently has. like some boxing comentators said, he doesn't have the fastest hands, the best defense, the most power, the best techniques, but he does everything extremely well. but i think what sets canelo apart is his star appeal. just like de la hoya, who wasn't the best fighter in his prime (but a very good one), canelo brings star attraction to the boxing masses in mexico and to mexican-americans in the u.s..
    i think the kid's going to get much better and time will tell whether he will be a great champion or just a good fighter, but the truth is this, nobody can deny his superstar appeal because he definitely has that.

Thread Information