Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the worst era in HW boxing history?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is this the worst era in HW boxing history?

Look at the fighters in the last five years. Is any of them worth a damn. I'll be 59 Saturday. I was in the Ali era. I remember when he beat Liston the first time. That was a very good era. Lennox Lewis also fought in a good era. Fighters like Bowe Holyfield Tyson mercer and others made it a tough era. After Lewis retired there hasn't been one guy you can say was great or even very good. The K brothers has never been tested against other good fighters. If I'm wrong please tell me why.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this the worst era in HW boxing history?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Look at the fighters in the last five years. Is any of them worth a damn. I'll be 59 Saturday. I was in the Ali era. I remember when he beat Liston the first time. That was a very good era. Lennox Lewis also fought in a good era. Fighters like Bowe Holyfield Tyson mercer and others made it a tough era. After Lewis retired there hasn't been one guy you can say was great or even very good. The K brothers has never been tested against other good fighters. If I'm wrong please tell me why.
    Wlad and Vitali have fought and beaten fighters who would be good fighters in any era. The usual drones of praise for past generations

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to think that wlad would beat any hw fighters of the past but then another part of me started thinking the 15 rd era would be bad news for him.

You are right MrBig. HW division has never been this bad. If HW division was the only division in boxing, I would look for another sport.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    I used to think that wlad would beat any hw fighters of the past but then another part of me started thinking the 15 rd era would be bad news for him.

You are right MrBig. HW division has never been this bad. If HW division was the only division in boxing, I would look for another sport.
    Agree 100%.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its pretty crap, still. Decent young guns in the distance maybe with Perez, Jennings, Wilder, Ruiz jr, Glazkov, TBA, Dusty Trunks, Kenhe Getup, etc...but maybe thats just putting lipstick on a pig. I think it'll open up when the brothers move on.

I miss the 90's

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Its pretty crap, still. Decent young guns in the distance maybe with Perez, Jennings, Wilder, Ruiz jr, Glazkov, TBA, Dusty Trunks, Kenhe Getup, etc...but maybe thats just putting lipstick on a pig. I think it'll open up when the brothers move on.

I miss the 90's
    Even though 90s wasnt such a great era , I still miss it.. guys like lewis, bowe, holy, and even ruddock were just on a whole different level compared to the guys today..

If these guys were around in the 90s, Mike perez would be a banana boat maker in cuba, and wilder... who gives a fuck about him, glazkov would be fighting on Thunderbox, Ruiz jr would be the mexican pillsberry doughboy selling hotdogs at fight events, and arreola would be taking our orders at Dell Taco..

That's how irrelevant they would be in the boxing world.

I miss everything about the 90s..

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I miss the 90's
    Even though 90s wasnt such a great era , I still miss it.. guys like lewis, bowe, holy, and even ruddock were just on a whole different level compared to the guys today..

If these guys were around in the 90s, Mike perez would be a banana boat maker in cuba, and wilder... who gives a fuck about him, glazkov would be fighting on Thunderbox, Ruiz jr would be the mexican pillsberry doughboy selling hotdogs at fight events, and arreola would be taking our orders at Dell Taco..

That's how irrelevant they would be in the boxing world.

I miss everything about the 90s..
    I was just pulling random shit off the shelf the other night, must have been something in the water then with explosive heavys but thin chins Jeremy Williams, Phil Jackson, Seldon, Morrison, Stewart etc. It was just exciting, even the second tier guys below a Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe. Young contenders/pretenders FOUGHT each other

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight boxing will always have the perception of being weak untill a crop of top Americans emerge.
    Excuse my spelling Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    The Larry Holmes era wasn't great. The 20's and parts of 50's weren't great either.

How do you measure eras? It's subjective. I agree with you though that this is not a great era. How many "greats" have there been over the last 10 years? Not too many. It clearly doesn't compare to the 70's or 90's. I'm not sure it is the worst though.

Frankly, it's been said since the beginning of boxing that the then-current era of heavyweights is the worst. None of these guys could compare to Jack Johnson, could compare to Jack Dempsey, could compare to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano etc.

There's a good argument the heavyweight division has been overrated and there have only been a few really good eras, and most of the rest are mediocre.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bo-Bo24 View Post
    Heavyweight boxing will always have the perception of being weak untill a crop of top Americans emerge.
    That is true for most Americans but not me. I love David Haye and Lennox Lewis. I'm not putting Haye on the same level as Lewis but he does have the goods. It just he hasn't fought very often over the years. I don't care where you're from. If you can fight you're the man in my eyes.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you can make a case for the 90's era being stronger or the 00's. And Mike Tyson would have always been a factor.

All other eras prior would be completely decimated imo by the current generation.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Max let me say this again this era could beat most eras from the 60's back because most were not heavyweights. The 90's shits on this division it is by far the best era even with the 70's if not better. But yet again Foreman and Holmes competed in there fucking 40's with 90's guys and the best guy of the 00's could not beat a ageing Lewis so i don't think this era would destroy the 70's 80's and only people the 60's that be good enough to win are Liston and Ali thats about it. People underrate this time now but that doesnt mean you got to overrated it to balance it out. Shit i think people like Brock acutal think the Rock could hang now which is even worse he would of got his ass kicked. Saying that he was great for his time be a good cw now which is his weight class if not lhw.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Max let me say this again this era could beat most eras from the 60's back because most were not heavyweights. The 90's shits on this division it is by far the best era even with the 70's if not better. But yet again Foreman and Holmes competed in there fucking 40's with 90's guys and the best guy of the 00's could not beat a ageing Lewis so i don't think this era would destroy the 70's 80's and only people the 60's that be good enough to win are Liston and Ali thats about it. People underrate this time now but that doesnt mean you got to overrated it to balance it out. Shit i think people like Brock acutal think the Rock could hang now which is even worse he would of got his ass kicked. Saying that he was great for his time be a good cw now which is his weight class if not lhw.
    You can't compare one era vs another. People are bigger and stronger today. Fighters today can beat 188 pound Rocky. With todays diet and training could they beat a 225 pound Rocky or a 235 pound Joe Louis.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When Lewis had his ass handed to him by Vitali, THAT was the start of the end for HW boxing... Lewis cleaned it up, but there were no more fights to be made.

Wlad and Vitali just beat up on guys Lewis would mop the effing floor with. If Wlad, Vitali, took 5 rounds, Lewis would do it in 2.

These guys ain't real. The realest dude out here is Arreola... followed by Pulev... and then Wilder and Tony Thompson right after.... and that's not saying it's all grande, either.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you actually think about it HW boxing has been a bit hit and miss for some time, which probably says why the main american interest is on intermediate weights now. Quality heavyweights as follows, the rest are pub debates.
    Joe Louis (arguably the best)
    Rocky Marciano (argualbly the luckiest because all his contempories were over 40 years old)
    Cassius Clay
    Mike Tyson (until his hype bubble burst)
    Lennox Lewis
    Vitali Klitschko (may well have retired now, good luck to him after his featherbedded reign)
    Vladimir Klitschko (getting more silly but the results are there)

The rest of the heavyweights for the last 60 years are just pub argument fodder, and long may the arguments continue! As a brit I still reckon our best chance was David Haye (in 50 years of watching our heavyweights), but we've now lost our bragging rights.

Shame really, the middleweights are looking good though!

Thread Information