Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Run how fast!?

Hey all. I read an article not too long ago that said something to the effect of "A good athlete should be able to run about 2 miles in 12 minutes." While I know I can run 1 mile in just about 6 minutes, doubling that is gonna be an ass kicker for me (a goal to work towards if you wanna look on the bright side). I was just wondering if anyone would comment on their running routines. How far and how fast are you running daily to stay in top shape?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Run how fast!?

I've heard many things, generally the usual is to run for anything over 20 mins,

however, two of my roomates are in a kin program, and according to them, if you go all out 3 times, at 30secs, it is just as good as running for 15-20 mins,

granted going full out for 30 sec, 3x is an incredible amount, and will almost kill you, but it's quick,

just my thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest i dont think anyone should use 'how far you can run in what time' as a measure of fitness. If you want to be a runner, then train to run faster over a longer distance etc. For a boxer, its different, your not training to go out and run 2 miles in 10 minutes.

Id agree with the post above and suggest you start doing some H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training). Start off jogging at a regular pace outside, then sprint all out for something like 30 seconds. When your 30 seconds is up, return to the regular pace for a working rest period of around 45 seconds-1 minute. Then repeat and improve on the number of times you can repeat over the weaks. After 10 minutes youll be totally 'f****d'. Aswel as improving endurance, this also improves your body's speed and also its reaction to the changes in tempo that occur naturally in a bout.

Alternatively you can use the 'lamppost' system. Sprint to a lamppost, jog to the next, sprint to the one after that etc etc.

Also, you cant use this type of training on other apperatus. For example - H.I.I.T skipping, regulate pace for 30 seconds, sprint for 15 etc etc. Or a X trainer, regular rate if around 60 RPM at rest periods, sprint all out in sprint period. You could also use a pyramid system of timings. (1 min rest, 30 sec sprint, 45 rest, 30 sprint, 30 rest, 30 sprint etc etc) You get the idea. Basically you can use your imagination and use any C.V method that can have the pace increased quickly.

Im not saying dont run a longer distance at all, dont just rely on training methods like H.I.I.T, but use them. Ill normally do a session of H.I.I.T running, a session of H.I.I.T sprinting up a hill and flights of stairs, aswel as one 45 minute run a week, aswel as shorter 1 mile runs to the gym. Dont focus on how quickly u can cover 2 miles, leave that to the runners....but do try and keep improving you times as at least that means your putting effort in to run faster each time.

Hope that helps

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah BOB is right, Interval training is more suited to boxing fitness as it works anaerobic systems.

Back to the running though, i dont think a boxer should run more than 3 miles really. 3 miles is plenty and a good gauge to work by, when you can run 3 miles in twenty minutes than your running is top notch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rich I like the way you think cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right now, I just switched up from just running 2 miles at jogging for 5 minutes, run hard for 30 seconds, jog for 5 minutes, etc. I'll be shortening the jog time in a week or two at the most.

From what I've been gathering, interval work to develop anaerobic stamina is very important in boxing. Not that I'm an expert by any means. I've only been training since early summer and have yet to get any kind of ring experience. In other words, I'm really gosh darn wet behind the ears. Brand new to the forum, too as this is my first post. But if I've got two cents, I'll offer it.

Oh, yes. If anyone's curious, it takes me 20 minutes to cover 2 miles usually.

Thread Information