Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DiBella Says 'Ghostbuster' Jermain Taylor Will Silence All The Critics!

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Default DiBella Says 'Ghostbuster' Jermain Taylor Will Silence All The Critics!

DiBella Says 'Ghostbuster' Jermain Taylor Will Silence All The Critics!
    www.boxingconfidential.com
    Michael Marley
    5/21/2007

While many boxing pundits, including HBO voices Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant and our own resident ballbuster Ron Pegram, have been slapping Jermain Taylor around like a piñata, you might think Taylor promoter Lou DiBella would be doing damage control. You might think that the explosive Mt. DiBella might be firing back at JT’s legion of critics with hot molten lava.

But DiBella’s not. Instead, sources involved say, he has been huddling over the phone with Top Rank titan Bob Arum about nailing down Taylor defending his world middleweight title belts, maybe as early as Sept. 22, against red-hot slugger Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik.

“There is a whole bandwagon now of Taylor haters,” a source told me. “But Lou is not focused on that. Lou says that, when Pavlik is KTFO’d by Jermain, the haters will crawl back into their rat holes. None are so blind as those who do not admit that, while Cory Spinks, is a stinker in style, he’s an excellent stinker and that’s why he’s won world titles. Lou understands that people like 'Ghost' Pavlik's straight-ahead style but he is convinced Jermain is the 'Ghostbuster.'"

The inside source said Arum thinks Taylor-Pavlik is a viable PPV headline bout which could do 400,000 buys while DiBella thinks Pavlik’s lack of wide recognition makes it more of a regular HBO main event.

In the meantime, DiBella has not ruled out Taylor-Joe Calzaghe although he is looking for a better offer from Calzaghe promoter Fearless Frank Warren.

As for HBO officials, they are hot to trot for the all-American showdown, Arkansas guy Taylor against Ohioan Pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: DiBella Says 'Ghostbuster' Jermain Taylor Will Silence All The Critics!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Michael Marley
    5/21/2007

While many boxing pundits, including HBO voices Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant and our own resident ballbuster Ron Pegram, have been slapping Jermain Taylor around like a piñata, you might think Taylor promoter Lou DiBella would be doing damage control. You might think that the explosive Mt. DiBella might be firing back at JT’s legion of critics with hot molten lava.

But DiBella’s not. Instead, sources involved say, he has been huddling over the phone with Top Rank titan Bob Arum about nailing down Taylor defending his world middleweight title belts, maybe as early as Sept. 22, against red-hot slugger Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik.

“There is a whole bandwagon now of Taylor haters,” a source told me. “But Lou is not focused on that. Lou says that, when Pavlik is KTFO’d by Jermain, the haters will crawl back into their rat holes. None are so blind as those who do not admit that, while Cory Spinks, is a stinker in style, he’s an excellent stinker and that’s why he’s won world titles. Lou understands that people like 'Ghost' Pavlik's straight-ahead style but he is convinced Jermain is the 'Ghostbuster.'"

The inside source said Arum thinks Taylor-Pavlik is a viable PPV headline bout which could do 400,000 buys while DiBella thinks Pavlik’s lack of wide recognition makes it more of a regular HBO main event.

In the meantime, DiBella has not ruled out Taylor-Joe Calzaghe although he is looking for a better offer from Calzaghe promoter Fearless Frank Warren.

As for HBO officials, they are hot to trot for the all-American showdown, Arkansas guy Taylor against Ohioan Pavlik.
    I really think that JT Vs JC should be the decision here. Pavlik Vs Taylor would be an interesting match up, but it would not be as big as Taylor Vs Calazaghe. All directions should go toward this fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: DiBella Says 'Ghostbuster' Jermain Taylor Will Silence All The Critics!

Honestly Calzaghe would easily beat Taylor imo... Id rather see JT fight Pavlik in whats more likely to be a competitive matchup... Though I think Joe could potentially make his beating of Taylor exciting in it's own way just by how badly he would embaress Jermain.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Calzaghe vs Taylor is the money match, much more interesting. Pavlik made a big fan of me by taking out Miranda (before that, I had a sneaking suspicion that Pavlik was a tad bit overrated), but Calzaghe vs Taylor would be huge.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Huge, but an ass whoopin'. Calzaghe would dominate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Taylor is about as ready to fight Calzaghe as Lacy was. Calzaghe at his weight is too slick. Spinks makes you look bad offensively, but Calzaghe will make him look bad offensively AND defensively. Pavlik earned his shot at Taylor. He should look to dominate the division and face Pavlik so he can prove that he has nothing more to prove at middleweight and then move up. If Arum wants this fight so badly, I'm sure he can do better than Warren. Besides, better to whoop ass in your own town than get your ass whooped across a damn pond.
    "Even Roy Jones was forced to 'Lean Back'"

- Fat Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Honestly Calzaghe would easily beat Taylor imo... Id rather see JT fight Pavlik in whats more likely to be a competitive matchup... Though I think Joe could potentially make his beating of Taylor exciting in it's own way just by how badly he would embaress Jermain.
    Totally agree 100%.

Calzaghe vs Taylor equals another young American champ beaten down before his prime.

Taylor, like Lacy, would never be the same after suffering such a dibilitating beating. The only reason that I want to see Calzaghe vs Taylor is due to the fact that I believe it would be the route to Hopkins vs Calzaghe at 170-175lbs.

The fight that should be made...the fights that we will probably never see are Calzaghe vs Kessler & Pavlik vs Taylor.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDibbs
    I think Taylor is about as ready to fight Calzaghe as Lacy was. Calzaghe at his weight is too slick. Spinks makes you look bad offensively, but Calzaghe will make him look bad offensively AND defensively. Pavlik earned his shot at Taylor. He should look to dominate the division and face Pavlik so he can prove that he has nothing more to prove at middleweight and then move up. If Arum wants this fight so badly, I'm sure he can do better than Warren. Besides, better to whoop a** in your own town than get your a** whooped across a damn pond.
    here too.

Well said. Calzaghe would own both Taylor & Pavlik if the matches ever came up.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaDibbs
    I think Taylor is about as ready to fight Calzaghe as Lacy was. Calzaghe at his weight is too slick. Spinks makes you look bad offensively, but Calzaghe will make him look bad offensively AND defensively. Pavlik earned his shot at Taylor. He should look to dominate the division and face Pavlik so he can prove that he has nothing more to prove at middleweight and then move up. If Arum wants this fight so badly, I'm sure he can do better than Warren. Besides, better to whoop a** in your own town than get your a** whooped across a damn pond.
    here too.

Well said. Calzaghe would own both Taylor & Pavlik if the matches ever came up.

They should have Jermaine Taylor fight Kelly Pavlik and the winner should go to the pond and fight Calzaghe. Maybe we'd be lucky enough that J.C. would take on Kessler during the time taken to set up and determine a winner of Pavlik/Taylor and a little mini-tournament could be hosted for our enjoyment! Probably too good to be true though...but a boxing fan can dream...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sorry but after that showing from Taylor, I think Joe might handle him. I think Kelly Pavlik would knockout both of them no doubt. Kelly is about to shake up the boxing world baby, im kind of glad people are still sleeping on Kelly, hes gonna give em a rude awakening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pls xcuz my rant but, imo... taylor needs to fight pavlik and others like him. enough of this nonsense of fighting out of the division simpply for a big name fight. if JT fights JC , he loses. PERIOD. joe is more seasoned and capable and freekin FLUID for shits sake!!! JT hasnt seemed to improve as a fighter since the Eduard fight.

but back to my point about the division thing. say what you will, i thought the DLH v PBF fight was close, draw close, but now PBF is 154 champ and do you really think hes going to fight at this weight and prove himself the true champ in the division? i guess this is my point i dont think PBF deserved a fight with DLH bc he didnt prove himself at 147. PBF says AMarg is a no name, forget how knows whos name the only reason we know PBF is bc hes a Mayweatherand we know whos who by who beats whoever it is that we know, so PBF( and anyone else) needs to fight the best in the divisions to move up and challenge.(ok yah hes good but thats not enuf)!! to me the only thing that got PBF the fight is his name, yah hes great but he didnt beat the best!

the thing that will separate past legends from those like floyd is there willingness to take on the best, to repeat those great fights and prove there dominance in the divisions. u wana skip around the divisions fine but fight the best, dont come off a sharmba mitchell or poor old arturo gatti fight and act like it was a domination of the division. dont run dont hide, fight !!

but to get back to JT, whats with the light wts why wasnt he fighting miranda, or pavlik or abraham?? ino all of u were like ?? when it was a guy who zab ko'd fightn JT!!! a fight with manfredo would have been better, ha, better for TWO fights !!! what a waste of fight(er)s!!! take on the ghost please, fight dominate fight joe when ur ready if it comes but probabaly c a rematch with winky and joe vs hop. idno, all i know is that i got tix for zab vs cotto and im glad that this is the fight i waited for, two guys how can hit and have suspect chins!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Michael Marley
    5/21/2007

Amazing how he's called the ghost buster when the ghost defense of cory spinks had him looking like he wish they called someone else

Thread Information