Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I Want To Help Jumpstart My Friend's Boxing Career...But How?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I Want To Help Jumpstart My Friend's Boxing Career...But How?

I have a good buddy who is, hands down, one of the most frightening people I've ever seen step into a boxing ring. He's the epitome of raw talent and he's devoted to his career as a fighter but just lacks the managerial skills required to make it big.

That's where I come in. I don't like watching people squander their potential, but when it's a close friend...it's out of the question! I decided to step up to the plate and act as his "manager" for the time being, but I'm a little overwhelmed about where to start. I have zero experience in the fight scene but I brainstormed a little and came up with a list of points to consider when building a fighter's career:

1-The Boxer's Profile- I'm thinking along the lines of a portfolio that an actor or photographer would provide an employer. Basic info like height, weight, reach, record, some pictures or maybe even a promo video.....what else?

2-Professional Organizations- what are the pros and cons of fighting inside the various pro groups like WBC, WBA, IBF, USBA etc.

3-Where are the boxing hotspots- We became friends in Louisiana, but he lives in Pittsburgh now and I live in San Diego. What parts of the country should a fighter start his career? The way I see it, travel costs are minimal if you're fighting for the right prizes so location shouldn't be a concern until fight night.

4-Legal Issues- Who needs a license? What kinds are there? How much do they cost? I'm in the dark when it comes to questions of this nature.

5-Establishing Professional Contacts- How can I broaden my list of contacts without exposing my lack of experience too much. I want to hit all the bases; managers, promoters, trainers, retired fighters, anyone with advice to offer.

We're both kids, just 19, so he's entering his prime and I'm just acting on his behalf before someone with more experience can take him to the places he needs to go. What should I do?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I Want To Help Jumpstart My Friend's Boxing Career...But How?

Contact Thompson Promotions. They are based out of Orange County, just north of you. They brought along Bradley and Lopez, both of whom just won world titles. They'll probably ignore you. At best they'll want to know things like; can your friend fight, who'd he ever beat, amateur background, and so on. Then he'll fight a ton of times, for no money, at places like the Orange County Fairgrounds, or a hotel in Ontario. I don't know the current name of the hotel.
    There are websites devoted to this type of thing, finding managers and promoters, and fighters looking for work. I became aware of them when I played with the idea of promoting fights, but that was years ago, and I don't have them written down. The idea of a "profile" is a good one, especially video of your friend sparring, or, better, fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I Want To Help Jumpstart My Friend's Boxing Career...But How?

Damn, I wish I had a friend like you honestly.
    You're doing a good thing for him.

Thread Information