Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Is Canelo the toughest opponent Floyd has faced since weighing more than 140?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes, He Is.

11 40.74%
  • No, Oscar De La Hoya Was.

10 37.04%
  • No, Miguel Cotto Was.

4 14.81%
  • No, Ricky Hatton Was.

2 7.41%
  • No, Juan Manuel Marquez Was.

0 0%
  • No, Shane Mosley Was.

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post

LOL Rick the inbred man Hatton is /was a complete over rated joke
    Even if that's true, don't be a revisionist historian: a LOT of people picked Hatton to win.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF has weighed over 140 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I haven't given a Floyd opponent a shot to beat him since Oscar, until Canelo. It's clear if you are a boxer turning down a Floyd Mayweather fight is retarded, so it makes sense why he is facing him now. At the same time, Canelo seems a little green to me. If you're a Canelo fan, in the ideal world, he could face some more competition before getting in the right with the best. Racking up wins against other belt holders before facing the best wouldn't be a bad idea.

The only reason why I think he might not be too green is because of his win over Trout. Trout is a full-fledged junior middleweight that completely dominated Cotto in his last fight. It's possible to use that as a yard stick for where Canelo is at.
    The Trout fight was a travesty...sure Canelo won...but the scoring was disgraceful and outside of a knockout Trout never had a chance in that environment. More so...Canelo showed his stamina issues in full spades. Canelo and his team went for the big money with the Floyd fight and i can't hate him for that. But he is about to get schooled.
    Two excellent points here. Canelo is a bit green. I think that is one reason why Floyd wants to fight him now. Second point is the Trout fight. Canelo seemed uncomfortable. Scoring was ridiculous. If Canelo fights Floyd the way he fought Trout I think he will get schooled. I think Trout was big competition for Canelo and many of his weaknesses were shown. The positive side is he may not make the same mistakes with Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I've said yes. I'm most intrigued by Canelo as an opponent because he's young, he's undefeated, he improves with every fight, he is a natural 154lber and Floyd is older and doesn't have as much speed in the legs as he used to. In think on paper, it could be one of his hardest ever challenges.
    Really WOW his legs and speed looked as fast as hes ever been in his last fight in fact i think floyd is going to get even better and sharper as these next 5 fights go on, because hes fighting 2 times a year and will be basically training non stop. So think about it no more fighting having long lay offs hes only going to be better and sharper hes going to destroy canelo i bet any1 he stops or makes canelo quit
    I'm not sure which fights you were watching man. Floyds legs are most definitely not what they used to be. He's getting out of the way mostly on his upper body movement now. If you watch the Ortiz fight and the Cotto fight again, you will notice that Floyd is getting backed up against the ropes and trading shots ALOT. I'm not saying that Canelo will beat him because of this...but to say Floyds legs haven't lost anything tells me that you're REALLY HOPING he hasn't...because he has. I'm interested how these "against the ropes" spots will play out in this fight. Especially with Canelo very possibly entering the ring at 170 on fight night.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only thing that worries me about Floyd's legs is whether he is able to sustain the kind of leverage needed to really dig those jabs and back-hands into that nice open stop between Canelo's elbows.

If he stops doing it mid-fight, he can feint the shot and come up with the left hook etc so I guess it's no big deal really so why the hell am I typing about Floyd's legs for..?!
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 06-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    I've said yes. I'm most intrigued by Canelo as an opponent because he's young, he's undefeated, he improves with every fight, he is a natural 154lber and Floyd is older and doesn't have as much speed in the legs as he used to. In think on paper, it could be one of his hardest ever challenges.
    Really WOW his legs and speed looked as fast as hes ever been in his last fight in fact i think floyd is going to get even better and sharper as these next 5 fights go on, because hes fighting 2 times a year and will be basically training non stop. So think about it no more fighting having long lay offs hes only going to be better and sharper hes going to destroy canelo i bet any1 he stops or makes canelo quit
    I'm not sure which fights you were watching man. Floyds legs are most definitely not what they used to be. He's getting out of the way mostly on his upper body movement now. If you watch the Ortiz fight and the Cotto fight again, you will notice that Floyd is getting backed up against the ropes and trading shots ALOT. I'm not saying that Canelo will beat him because of this...but to say Floyds legs haven't lost anything tells me that you're REALLY HOPING he hasn't...because he has. I'm interested how these "against the ropes" spots will play out in this fight. Especially with Canelo very possibly entering the ring at 170 on fight night.
    And then again in the Guerrero fight he was moving like he was 26 years old.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't given a Floyd opponent a shot to beat him since Oscar, until Canelo. It's clear if you are a boxer turning down a Floyd Mayweather fight is retarded, so it makes sense why he is facing him now. At the same time, Canelo seems a little green to me. If you're a Canelo fan, in the ideal world, he could face some more competition before getting in the right with the best. Racking up wins against other belt holders before facing the best wouldn't be a bad idea.

The only reason why I think he might not be too green is because of his win over Trout. Trout is a full-fledged junior middleweight that completely dominated Cotto in his last fight. It's possible to use that as a yard stick for where Canelo is at.
    The Trout fight was a travesty...sure Canelo won...but the scoring was disgraceful and outside of a knockout Trout never had a chance in that environment. More so...Canelo showed his stamina issues in full spades. Canelo and his team went for the big money with the Floyd fight and i can't hate him for that. But he is about to get schooled.
    Regardless of the judge's scoring, I had Canelo winning that fight, and I thought Trout would win going into it. As much as I saw the stamina issues, I also saw Canelo making slight adjustments during the fight, and knocking Trout down for the first time in his career. By the way, Trout himself admitted he lost the fight.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

Two excellent points here. Canelo is a bit green. I think that is one reason why Floyd wants to fight him now. Second point is the Trout fight. Canelo seemed uncomfortable. Scoring was ridiculous. If Canelo fights Floyd the way he fought Trout I think he will get schooled. I think Trout was big competition for Canelo and many of his weaknesses were shown. The positive side is he may not make the same mistakes with Floyd.
    However, Trout completely schooled Cotto, literally, I had him pitching a shut out. For Canelo to come in and beat Trout, shows the level he is at. I agree it was a close fight, but I had Trout as the top man, or close to it, in that division. I'll put it to you like this. I would rank this as a better quality victory than a victory over the current, junior middleweight version of Cotto. What I mean is, had Canelo fought Cotto next, not Mayweather, I would consider it a step back in terms of competition. It was a great victory for the young red headed fighter from Mexico. It's hard to knock it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Potentially it could be. Definitely the first time he has fought someone younger, stronger and hungrier.

I think his pure traditional style will be prefect for Floyd and he'll make a mess of his face. Think he can possibly walk through Floyd though.
    I think that is the main question. No way Canelo outboxes or outfoxes Floyd. He could out-muscle and land the more telling blows, if he lands of course.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll put it to you like this. I would rank this as a better quality victory than a victory over the current, junior middleweight version of Cotto. What I mean is, had Canelo fought Cotto next, not Mayweather, I would consider it a step back in terms of competition. It was a great victory for the young red headed fighter from Mexico. It's hard to knock it.
    Agreed 100%. It's easy to forget that Canelo is still just a kid. He deserves big respect for taking the fight and beating Trout, who is a very solid fighter with a tricky southpaw style. Way more impressed with that then if he had fought Cotto.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I'll put it to you like this. I would rank this as a better quality victory than a victory over the current, junior middleweight version of Cotto. What I mean is, had Canelo fought Cotto next, not Mayweather, I would consider it a step back in terms of competition. It was a great victory for the young red headed fighter from Mexico. It's hard to knock it.
    Agreed 100%. It's easy to forget that Canelo is still just a kid. He deserves big respect for taking the fight and beating Trout, who is a very solid fighter with a tricky southpaw style. Way more impressed with that then if he had fought Cotto.
    Canelo beating Trout will give him the confidence that he can beat the more talented but smaller Floyd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Kirkland Laing;1160766]
    Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    Really WOW his legs and speed looked as fast as hes ever been in his last fight in fact i think floyd is going to get even better and sharper as these next 5 fights go on, because hes fighting 2 times a year and will be basically training non stop. So think about it no more fighting having long lay offs hes only going to be better and sharper hes going to destroy canelo i bet any1 he stops or makes canelo quit[/QUO

And then again in the Guerrero fight he was moving like he was 26 years old.
    Bhop would look like a 26 year old against Guerrero. Everyone (including Guerrero) knew the outcome of that fight before the opening bell. Didn't show me anything about Floyd that I didn't already know. However his next fight will.

El Kabong Guest

I think Miguel Cotto was the toughest opponent for PBF since PBF moved above 140. Cotto won rounds, Cotto was in the fight to win it, Cotto was closer to his prime than other fighters had been AND at his natural comfortable weight (unlike Hatton who still fought valiantly).

I don't know much about Canelo other than he's young and a bit raw

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone have video of the Canelo vs. Vasquez fights? @Violent Demise ?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo beating Trout will give him the confidence that he can beat the more talented but smaller Floyd.
    If he thinks he's got Mayweather's number because he beat Austin Trout, IMO he's already lost.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If he thinks he's got Mayweather's number because he beat Austin Trout, IMO he's already lost.
    I think as close as that fight was it should go to show that a slick boxer can easily have his way (providing he makes adjustments during the fight) with Canelo......so he had better study hard for this test else it will be a shut out.

Thread Information