Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would have Margarito done in the early 80's or 90's WW divisions?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would have Margarito done in the early 80's or 90's WW divisions?

I was thinking about this, and I am curious to see what people think.

In the 80's
    I think he would beat Hearns, but I think Leonard would beat him decisively, I also think Duran would be too good on the inside for him. Benitez, I am not sure, he was so good defensively, but he didn't take fights seriously, and I think if he didn't train well for this fight he would lose it, but if he trained hard he would likely win.

In the 90's
    I think Oscar De La Hoya would for sure beat Margarito, too good of a boxer, and was big and strong enough to match up physically against Margarito, I don't think Mosley would have beaten Margarito, his style just doesn't work moving backwards, and Margarito would throw, and land more than him. I think Quartey would stand a good chance of beating Margarito for the same reasons as Oscar, but a different style, I think his jab would pick Margarito apart, and he is strong enough to hang with Tony. I think Margarito beats Campas, I also think if he can handle Tito's punch, that he would wear Tito out and ko him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would have Margarito done in the early 80's or 90's WW divisions?

If two would have been able to crack that granite chin, I would have to go with Tito and Hearns. If Hearns fought his best fight and worked off his jab, there is a good chance he could beat Tony. Hearns was capable of fighting well off his back foot and still delivering a punch. That's a fight I would like to see.

I don't see Tony beating Tito at WW. Tito never lost a war. He only got outboxed. I can see him going down, but he got off the canvas several times to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would have Margarito done in the early 80's or 90's WW divisions?

I see Tito beating Margo with ease, being faster and stronger and more technical.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he wouldnt have lasted with leonard, hearns, tito, odlh, nobody. but he could last with the guys in the division today except for paul williams

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

In the 80's
    I think he would beat Hearns, but I think Leonard would beat him decisively, I also think Duran would be too good on the inside for him. Benitez, I am not sure, he was so good defensively, but he didn't take fights seriously, and I think if he didn't train well for this fight he would lose it, but if he trained hard he would likely win.

In the 90's
    I think Oscar De La Hoya would for sure beat Margarito, too good of a boxer, and was big and strong enough to match up physically against Margarito, I don't think Mosley would have beaten Margarito, his style just doesn't work moving backwards, and Margarito would throw, and land more than him. I think Quartey would stand a good chance of beating Margarito for the same reasons as Oscar, but a different style, I think his jab would pick Margarito apart, and he is strong enough to hang with Tony. I think Margarito beats Campas, I also think if he can handle Tito's punch, that he would wear Tito out and ko him.
    I can see Thomas Hearns easily out pointing Antonio Margarito, Thomas Hearns would keep that jab in his face all night long. And not allow Antonio Margarito to get on the inside, plus Antonio Margarito isn't a big puncher. So its not like we would see a dramatic KO aka Iran Barkley. Infact i wouldn't be suprised if Antonio Margarito had to take a count against Thomas Hearns.

SRL would box rings around Antonio Margarito using his superior footspeed and hand speed not even close IMO.

Roberto Duran would struggle because Antonio Margarito would be stronger on the inside, but Duran is also a good boxer so i can see him out smarting and out slicking Antonio Margarito over 12 rounds.

Wilfred Benitez would actually struggle the most against Antonio Margarito, he stayed on the ropes too much which is where Antonio Margarito is at his strongest. Infact i can see Antonio Margarito outworking Wilfred Benitez over 12 rounds.

ODLH and Shane Mosley both out speed and out point Antonio Margarito over 12 rounds, but Shane Mosley would struggle more because ODLH is more of a pure boxer.

Ike Quartey would struggle against Antonio Margarito, remember Ike Quartey couldn't dent Fernando Vargas who was too big and strong for Ike Quartey. So im just wondering would Antonio Margarito be too big and strong for Ike Quartey ? Im not sure but Ike Quartey had a terrific jab infact one of the best jabs i've seen, and enough power to make Antonio Margarito respect him, close one to call IMO.

Antonio Margarito would stop Luis Ramon Campas no question IMO, Luis Ramon Campas never beat an elite fighter.

Felix Trinidad is too good of a boxer and has too much power, for even Antonio Margarito to walkthrough. I can see Felix Trinidad losing the early rounds due to Antonio Margarito's superior workrate. Then Felix Trinidad warms up and starts landing accurate power punches, and he either stops Antonio Margarito late on while Antonio Margarito is still on his feet, or Antonio Margarito lasts 12 rounds but gets battered in the later rounds.

But what about Margarito vs Curry, Breland, Starling, etc.
    Last edited by ICB; 10-04-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    he wouldnt have lasted with leonard, hearns, tito, odlh, nobody. but he could last with the guys in the division today except for paul williams
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It could be debated all day and night about who Tony could have beat in the 80's or 90's....We can debate on why they would beat him...Speed...Too Good a Boxer etc....

Fact is for all his shortcomings he has proven he can get it done against anyone need be.

None of the formentioned on this thread would KO him..with maybe the exception of Hearns.....

Tony is the type of fighter that could beat any elite fighter on any given night depending on his mindset...He could also lose to any elie fighter on any given night

If I recall I remember a thread a while back about Cotto and how he would do against the guys mentioned on this thread and many stated nCotto would come out on top...Tony beat Cotto handily...

Margarito could bang toe to toe with anyone and absorb anyones shots..He hits as hard as any other WW and when in the right mindset he is brutal.....

Cintron hit's as hard as Tito, DLH, Duran.....Cotto has better body work then all of them....

You can search all day for reasons why he would have lost to them but he has proven just as much why he could beat any of them..
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    It could be debated all day and night about who Tony could have beat in the 80's or 90's....We can debate on why they would beat him...Speed...Too Good a Boxer etc....

Fact is for all his shortcomings he has proven he can get it done against anyone need be.

None of the formentioned on this thread would KO him..with maybe the exception of Hearns.....

Tony is the type of fighter that could beat any elite fighter on any given night depending on his mindset...He could also lose to any elie fighter on any given night

If I recall I remember a thread a while back about Cotto and how he would do against the guys mentioned on this thread and many stated nCotto would come out on top...Tony beat Cotto handily...

Margarito could bang toe to toe with anyone and absorb anyones shots..He hits as hard as any other WW and when in the right mindset he is brutal.....

Cintron hit's as hard as Tito, DLH, Duran.....Cotto has better body work then all of them....

You can search all day for reasons why he would have lost to them but he has proven just as much why he could beat any of them..
    first bold comment. I wasn't one of them.

second bold comment; Cintron wishes he had the Power of Tito.

Hey let's get this straight. Margarito is no technician he is pure chin Cotto hit him with everything but a guy like Tito, and Oscar would make real damage in Margaros chin hitting him fush all night like Cotto did with seriously more power.
    Last edited by Puya; 10-04-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think A Margarito/Trinidad fight would not be a certainty for Tito at Welter.No doubts about Tito being the more accurate but he had rough times when backing straight out,got clipped a good deal and I can not undersell Margaritos sheer volume, angles and mentality breaking up Titos punch rhythm,making for some sure fire heated and vulnerable moments Imo.And you can forget about all of those Campas comparison's ...Campas fought squat and squared...not to mention he displayed signs of "Give" in spots if you know what I mean.

The level of confidence and self belief alone displayed by these two was and is always amazing.Love Tito,always came out smiling ear to ear,yelling out to anyone that was within earshot. Ive got one from the 90's that would collide with Margarito in an absolute car wreck war.....Jose Luis Lopez!!He had a short run but my god,what a iron jaw,awesome body work etc.

ICB Guest

Felix Trinidad was a beast at Welterweight only iron chinned fighters like Pernell Whitaker, ODLH, Hector Camacho, went the distance with him at Welterweight.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    I think A Margarito/Trinidad fight would not be a certainty for Tito at Welter.No doubts about Tito being the more accurate but he had rough times when backing straight out,got clipped a good deal and I can not undersell Margaritos sheer volume, angles and mentality breaking up Titos punch rhythm,making for some sure fire heated and vulnerable moments Imo.And you can forget about all of those Campas comparison's ...Campas fought squat and squared...not to mention he displayed signs of "Give" in spots if you know what I mean.

The level of confidence and self belief alone displayed by these two was and is always amazing.Love Tito,always came out smiling ear to ear,yelling out to anyone that was within earshot. Ive got one from the 90's that would collide with Margarito in an absolute car wreck war.....Jose Luis Lopez!!He had a short run but my god,what a iron jaw,awesome body work etc.
    You could make an argument that Jose Luis Lopez was the 90s, Welterweight version of Antonio Margarito. Except Jose Luis Lopez had more power IMO, but i loved his fight with Ike Quartey.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Felix Trinidad was a beast at Welterweight only iron chinned fighters like Pernell Whitaker, ODLH, Hector Camacho, went the distance with him at Welterweight.
    I earned even more respect for Sweet Pea that night,He really took a shalacking in spots and gutted it out. On Oscars part I dont know If his chin was doing that much work in the late rounds as opposed to his feet.That one was crazy,he really put a clinic on Tito early and took it for granted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the 80's

In the 90's
    I can see Thomas Hearns easily out pointing Antonio Margarito, Thomas Hearns would keep that jab in his face all night long. And not allow Antonio Margarito to get on the inside, plus Antonio Margarito isn't a big puncher. So its not like we would see a dramatic KO aka Iran Barkley. Infact i wouldn't be suprised if Antonio Margarito had to take a count against Thomas Hearns.

SRL would box rings around Antonio Margarito using his superior footspeed and hand speed not even close IMO.

Roberto Duran would struggle because Antonio Margarito would be stronger on the inside, but Duran is also a good boxer so i can see him out smarting and out slicking Antonio Margarito over 12 rounds.

Wilfred Benitez would actually struggle the most against Antonio Margarito, he stayed on the ropes too much which is where Antonio Margarito is at his strongest. Infact i can see Antonio Margarito outworking Wilfred Benitez over 12 rounds.

ODLH and Shane Mosley both out speed and out point Antonio Margarito over 12 rounds, but Shane Mosley would struggle more because ODLH is more of a pure boxer.

Ike Quartey would struggle against Antonio Margarito, remember Ike Quartey couldn't dent Fernando Vargas who was too big and strong for Ike Quartey. So im just wondering would Antonio Margarito be too big and strong for Ike Quartey ? Im not sure but Ike Quartey had a terrific jab infact one of the best jabs i've seen, and enough power to make Antonio Margarito respect him, close one to call IMO.

Antonio Margarito would stop Luis Ramon Campas no question IMO, Luis Ramon Campas never beat an elite fighter.

Felix Trinidad is too good of a boxer and has too much power, for even Antonio Margarito to walkthrough. I can see Felix Trinidad losing the early rounds due to Antonio Margarito's superior workrate. Then Felix Trinidad warms up and starts landing accurate power punches, and he either stops Antonio Margarito late on while Antonio Margarito is still on his feet, or Antonio Margarito lasts 12 rounds but gets battered in the later rounds.

Margarito is an encredibly slow starter

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanhatton View Post

In the 80's

In the 90's

Margarito is an encredibly slow starter
    Not always and not as slow as Felix Trinidad, in alot of Tito's early fights he would sometimes only throw about 10/15 punches in a round. Until he got warmed up after about the 4th round.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

Brilliant...

Very well said...

Thread Information