86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David price..

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    How would you bring him back?

Nice guy but I believe he needs to find a different line of work. I'm not Ray Arcel but if you ask me he'd have to do a complete refit. I don't think its possible. He would need to be turned into the post Manny Wlad overnight? Not every climber makes it to Everest and not every big man that did well in the amateurs makes it as a pro. Big guy that moves big. I just see him getting clocked continuously.

What trainer?

Benton to prosper or Steward to survive. Unfortunately neither is with us.
    Or seek out the old guys of the same generation that operate in the grungy gyms of most east ends if they still exist.

What advice?

Go to law school.

Is it all over?

Unlikely in his mind.
    Imo he runs the risk of becoming a domestic opponent.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed with @IamInuit for sure. The absolute best scenario is that he'd find some great fit with a good trainer and get completely overhauled to fight differently, but even then I don't think he's quite got the body control/natural talent/whatever to do it for long. Wlad might have seemed like a similar case early on, but even then he clearly had some more polished offensive tools, more commanding jab and control of distance etc. Price is more like Vitali if he were chinny and not quite as good or something, it's probably just not going to work.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    How would you bring him back?

What trainer?

What advice?

Is it all over?
    Price has a punch but he has very little ability to take one ! as a amateur and pro he is about domestic
    level David advice forget about it.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We're being a bit harsh here boys and girls

He's above domestic level and even if he wasn't, what's wrong with having a good domestic level career
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and last time I looked the teper fight was changed to a no contest

seems to have changed back

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's a nice guy.

He needs one more run..he's better than audley.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody is being harsh. A series of questions were asked. They were answered truthfully. It’s not my problem that some of his fans might be as delusional as he is. I'm sure when he's sitting there eating through a straw that someone will say "poor guy but at least he was doing what he loved to do"

Does anyone really believe that he survives the British scene? If we had a tourney where would he place? How many times would he be planked?

No it’s not a bad gig to be a gatekeeper or fight on a domestic level in all cases but they have to be looked at individually. Look at Mayorga. I'd bet he's the richest gatekeeper in the history of the sport.
    But he had the grit and the chin. Not everyone gets a ribbon. Not all 7 footers make good fighters by default. I have no desire to see Dempsey/Willard over and over again or David living on his back. If he chooses to continue then they might want to look at getting some ad placement on the bottom of his feet.

Harrison is not a fair comparison. He actually had talent and was an exceptional boxer. Trouble is he was mentally vacant from the proceedings and like most gold medalists was a spoiled brat before he had his first fight. I went right along with Lennox when he said Audley was his replacement.

Price does not have the skill, speed or chin to keep him safe. He's the kind of thick individual though that may need an intervention.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds a bit harsh to me

hes lost to 2 drug cheats, that's it

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They may have been drug cheats, but they were also not great HW's by any stretch and he lost in terrible fashion. He just doesn't appear to be good enough at boxing to do anything much, it's not harsh to say at all.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Nobody is being harsh. A series of questions were asked. They were answered truthfully. It’s not my problem that some of his fans might be as delusional as he is. I'm sure when he's sitting there eating through a straw that someone will say "poor guy but at least he was doing what he loved to do"

Does anyone really believe that he survives the British scene? If we had a tourney where would he place? How many times would he be planked?

No it’s not a bad gig to be a gatekeeper or fight on a domestic level in all cases but they have to be looked at individually. Look at Mayorga. I'd bet he's the richest gatekeeper in the history of the sport.
    But he had the grit and the chin. Not everyone gets a ribbon. Not all 7 footers make good fighters by default. I have no desire to see Dempsey/Willard over and over again or David living on his back. If he chooses to continue then they might want to look at getting some ad placement on the bottom of his feet.

Harrison is not a fair comparison. He actually had talent and was an exceptional boxer. Trouble is he was mentally vacant from the proceedings and like most gold medalists was a spoiled brat before he had his first fight. I went right along with Lennox when he said Audley was his replacement.

Price does not have the skill, speed or chin to keep him safe. He's the kind of thick individual though that may need an intervention.
    Mayorga was once much more than a gatekeeper. He was a world champion and beat some top fighters. Agreed on his endless amount of pay days after that though.

Price was just a prospect who never quite transitioned into contender.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure he will actually want to come back, so the question may be academic.

Hell of a setback suffered and it would take a strong man to get over it, if it was another sport then maybe, but not boxing with all these wannabee rich promoters and dodgy alphabet committee members trying to exploit anything resembling a vertical 16 stone plus fighter.

Bad luck David, hope you do well elsewhere.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Price had the mental strength of Amir Khan he'd be awesome. Khan isnt smart dont get me wrong. But he's an ignorant fucker and no amount of chinning is going to stop him from thinking he's the dogs bollocks.

If Khan had of gotten chinned a second time against Prescott early doors he still would have thought he was the bollocks and had success in his career. Fortunately someone with half a clue made sure there was no chance of that happening. Someone should have done the same for Price and given the Thompson rematch the swerve.

Price is damaged goods and is not going to turn things around. Which probably suits a lot of people out there because I'd still give him a shot of chinning Fury, Joshua, Wilder, Martin and so on and so forth. Only a small shot, but a shot nonetheless.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Agreed with @IamInuit for sure. The absolute best scenario is that he'd find some great fit with a good trainer and get completely overhauled to fight differently, but even then I don't think he's quite got the body control/natural talent/whatever to do it for long. Wlad might have seemed like a similar case early on, but even then he clearly had some more polished offensive tools, more commanding jab and control of distance etc. Price is more like Vitali if he were chinny and not quite as good or something, it's probably just not going to work.
    Everything can be improved except that chin. The overwhelming opinion is, you are born with a good chin or you don't have one just like a KO punch. There are things you can do to make small improvements with both, but just like everyone is saying Price isn't outstanding anywhere so get out now.
    If you like David Price you should be hoping he stays out of the ring!
    Last edited by beenKOed; 02-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Everything can be improved except that chin. The overwhelming opinion is, you are born with a good chin or you don't have one just like a KO punch. There are things you can do to make small improvements with both, but just like everyone is saying Price isn't outstanding anywhere so get out now.
    If you like David Price you should be hoping he stays out of the ring!
    I don't care what he does, but I'm not sure how much other things can really be improved once you are a grown man who has been fighting so long, I think that is what gets overlooked. Obviously you can tweak things, but if you fundamentally don't have the style or physical tools to be great, by all means retire. Lennox and Wlad are the recent examples used, but in Lennox's case he probably just got caught or undertrained for a couple of fights in an otherwise great reign where he always showed the kind of tools you want to see in a big man. Wlad was offensively good enough to develop a style where he could just hold and get away with it for years against average opposition(imo). Price? I just don't see the ability to begin with, he's always going to be hittable.

Thread Information