whats ur thought?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does boxing compare to UFC

Non boxing followers I know say that UFC is boring because of the grappling aspect, the fighters that arent fit, athletic, or just good "fighters" take it to the ground and wrestle which takes their enjoyment away.

As far as their concerned if they wanted to watch a couple of steroided up or overweight "fighters", theyd go down the pub.

Fights anyone wants to watch are along the lines of Castillo v Coralles 1, Barrera v Morales 1, any gatti v Ward fight anything where punches are being exchanged and not 2 grown men rolling around on the floor trying to avoid getting involved

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by godson
    I found this article

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=9349&more=1

whats ur thought?
    Where do people get the PPV sales numbers?

Anyway, MMA is not exclusively from the US as this guy claims, traditionally the biggest tournaments were held in Japan. I think the fact that boxers are not as active as they used to be is really hurting the sport as a whole. To get boxing back into the main public eye, we need more household names, people that get exposure. Right now in the US I don't think a casual sports fan could name one of the Heavyweight alphabet title holders.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loathe UFC or any form of MMA period.

So I suppose I should be taken out of the equation.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Quote Originally Posted by godson
    I found this article

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=9349&more=1

whats ur thought?
    Where do people get the PPV sales numbers?

Anyway, MMA is not exclusively from the US as this guy claims, traditionally the biggest tournaments were held in Japan. I think the fact that boxers are not as active as they used to be is really hurting the sport as a whole. To get boxing back into the main public eye, we need more household names, people that get exposure. Right now in the US I don't think a casual sports fan could name one of the Heavyweight alphabet title holders.
    CC! Could not have said it better myself.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All right, UFC fans, gimme what you want but I'd say - straith-faced, boldly, unflinchingly and with absolutely no doubt - that UFC is a big FAKE, a subtle one at that but fake nontheless! The quicker they're exposed, the better it'll be for us boxing fans. Period, no if's and but's.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

didn't read the article, but my take on how they compare is the only plus the ufc has that boxing doesn't is there are no freaking ABC belts in there or promoters (i don't think there are any promoters?)

not a big fan of the UFC, certain fights ill watch, but cudnt sit down and just watch the grapeling tbh, to boring for me.

was talking to a few people who had followes boxinf all their lives, and they were saying how they are edging more towards the ufc now 'coz its one champ whos always fighting the best or the one the fans want and thats a major plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ufc is to fishsticks as boxing is to lobster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I friggin hate all that shit too... Just go wrestle in a back yard!
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    Umm, i think you may have got this one the wrong way around butt. UFC has nothing to do with fishsticks and boxing has very little to do with lobster, except for the oversized looking fists/claws. I think it should read:

ufc is to boxing as fishsticks are to lobster
    No charge for the editing bro Actually, I agree with the majority view I think from here which is that UFC is a bit boring, with too much grappling. If I want to watch that I'll go somewhere where there are at least some storylines to make it interesting, in pro wrestling. But personally, I'll stick with boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Umm, i think you may have got this one the wrong way around butt. UFC has nothing to do with fishsticks and boxing has very little to do with lobster, except for the oversized looking fists/claws. I think it should read:

ufc is to boxing as fishsticks are to lobster
    No charge for the editing bro Actually, I agree with the majority view I think from here which is that UFC is a bit boring, with too much grappling. If I want to watch that I'll go somewhere where there are at least some storylines to make it interesting, in pro wrestling. But personally, I'll stick with boxing.

its a comparison (because of the thread title), ill elaborate for you

if ufc were seafood, it would be fishsticks............

if boxing were seafood, it would be lobster

i get what youre saying, though..............

my grammar sucks (sad but true)

El Kabong Guest

Agreed....I dislike them almost as much as those bastards at eastside who thought Audley Harrison would KO Wladimir Klitschko.

Eastside houses a bunch of idiots

MMA is garbage...don't hate me for it but I dislike it.....especially Tito Ortiz he's a silly cunt

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whilst I'd hardly consider myself a fan I do download the odd event or two to watch.

I watched the entire PPV broadcast of Pride's American debut a couple months back and as an event it was highly entertaining.

Some of the fights were over far too quickly and I got a little uncomfortable when a couple of the men assumed 69 position's on the floor and carried out what appeared to my untrained eyes to be sex acts on one another but the whole razzmataz if thats a word was definitely there.

There was this crazy ass woman fight announcer who I could only describe as having a videogame type voice, just amazing the sounds she managed to produce and loads of strobe lighting and effects.

The fights, even though I hadn't barely heard of any of them were still easy to get involved with thanks to brief pre fight interviews with the two protaganists, in which invariably one of them would come across as a complete and utter prick so I'd be rooting for the other guy to kick his face in.

And I have to say there is something rather satisfying about a sport that allows a fighter to literally do that! I saw people get knocked out by flying knees to the face, by having their ankles snapped, or being elbowed on the nose whilst being pinned down on the floor unable to move, its the kind of brutality you sometimes wish you could inject in a boxing fight.

Who wouldn't have liked to have seen Kosta Tyszu lay a prostrate Zab Judah on the ground, then sit astride his chest and headbutt him repeatedly on his nose until his face was a bloody mess?

Overall whilst I don't think it compares to boxing as a serious sport I would have to say that it can be very entertaining to watch at times and I would consider going to an event if they ever staged one near me.

To me its kind of like the difference between Formula One racing and Nascar. Whilst purists, journalists and serious race fans would not even consider Nascar to be a serious sport like Formula One, a huge swathe of hicks, rednecks and children watch it avidly to see the crashes.

Overall I would say it complements boxing rather than competes against it. Fight fans have more than one related sport to get excited about which is hardly a bad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

Agreed....I dislike them almost as much as those bastards at eastside who thought Audley Harrison would KO Wladimir Klitschko.

Eastside houses a bunch of idiots

MMA is garbage...don't hate me for it but I dislike it.....especially Tito Ortiz he's a silly c***
    Well of course Lyle you make an educated argument as always I use to argue about it but I came to realize entertainment value is subjective so its no different than Saying you prefer Soccer over american Football..

The only Problem I have when someone says it garbage.. Well the numbers dont lie you can put your head in the sand all you want but MMA has already gained on Boxing and will overtake it soon enough.. Dont get me wrong I love Boxing to the ends of the earth but to train in MMA like I have and here someone call it garbage just pisses me off cause I guaranteed if you spent a month at a grappling school you would change your tune and respect the commitment, work ethic, skill and knowledge and to be able to think and constantly adapt..

I always say Boxing Intelligence is like driving on the Autobahn having to adapt quickly and to react to an opponents attack standing in front of you with them striking you with fists only and above the belt...

MMA is like trying to fly a Fighter Jet in a Gymnasium.. You have to be prepared to defend at all angles front and back, knee strikes, punches, kicks, takedowns, 1000's of submissions etc...

Again you dont have to like it but calling it garbage is just ignorant and idiotic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for people saying that the UFC and any MMA is too much grappling, theres a lot less grappling and a lot more stand up action than there used to be - which is a shame in my opinion I liked the grappling, theres too many rules in the UFC now that encourage toe to toe stand up fighting than grappling (which involves a lot more skill than people on this board seem to give it credit for but its a boxing board so its forgiven) Its the big knockouts that draw the big audiences and the big PPV revenues so its hard to blame to UFC for all the changes.
    Im getting a little of point here so back to comparing boxing and UFC its impossible really, like comparing horse racing and formula one racing - they're two very different sports! A good boxer would have little chance in an MMA fight and a good fighter from the UFC would have little chance fighting under boxing rules. Both can be brilliant in their own field but very hard to compare.

Thread Information