Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Dawson or Johnson

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawson vs. Johnson II

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Post Dawson vs. Johnson II

Preliminary negotiations have begun regarding a rematch between Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson. Should the fight come about, it would take place in the fall and be televised by HBO. Dawson and Johnson fought 12 hard rounds in April 2008, which resulted in a debated unanimous decision win for Dawson.
    26-year old Dawson (28-0, 17 KO) is coming off of a second straight win over faded Antonio Tarver, which inspired few and drew a second straight dismal house in Las Vegas. 40-year old Johnson (49-12-2, 33 KO) has beaten Aaron Norwood and Daniel Judah in stay-busy fights since losing to Dawson, and has repeatedly called out anyone within earshot, including Dawson and the now-retired Joe Calzaghe.
    Fight fans have been itching to see Dawson and Johnson settle what most of us believe to be unsettled business. I personally scored the fight a draw and could certainly see anyone's case for either man winning the fight, but frankly I've heard few vocal supporters say they think Dawson really won it.
    Most distressingly, it was the aging "Road Warrior" who took it to the young titlist and wore him out over the distance, getting him in some deep waters late in the fight. It'd be nice to see if Dawson has really improved since then, or if he's just been matched easily against a well-past it version of Tarver. If Dawson is to become a star, cleaning out 175 would be a start, and past Calzaghe or Bernard Hopkins, Johnson's the man for him to fight.

Dawson-Johnson II negotations*begin - Bad Left Hook
    Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dawson vs. Johnson II

I thought the last fight was very close. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch actually, especially if Dawson has no better plans than fighting Tarver for a third time.

El Kabong Guest

I say Dawson wins a rematch. I am counting on Dawson to mature as a fighter and Johnson to act his age.

As I have seen Chad Dawson fight, I can't shake it from my head that he is EXACTLY like Jermain Taylor in his inconsitencey. Dawson will look amazing in one round and then look like he just started boxing in another round....it's quite frustrating.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I say Dawson wins a rematch. I am counting on Dawson to mature as a fighter and Johnson to act his age.

As I have seen Chad Dawson fight, I can't shake it from my head that he is EXACTLY like Jermain Taylor in his inconsitencey. Dawson will look amazing in one round and then look like he just started boxing in another round....it's quite frustrating.
    I think one of the things that hurts him the most is he'll throw an amazing combination and then jump out and wait. He allows his opponents to get back in the fight. He has phenomenal handspeed and combination accuracy, I think he could be getting more stoppages and knockdowns if he would not jump out and wait so much.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After Mack wins in FL I would like him to Fight Johnson or Dawson. If they are not available then we go for Cloud or Tarver on the undercard of this fight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

I think one of the things that hurts him the most is he'll throw an amazing combination and then jump out and wait. He allows his opponents to get back in the fight. He has phenomenal handspeed and combination accuracy, I think he could be getting more stoppages and knockdowns if he would not jump out and wait so much.
    I think Dawson sometimes has a tendancy to stand back and admire his own work too, but when he works he's awesome. I disagree that he's like Taylor. I saw the 2nd Tarver fight last night for the first time and I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. I gave Tarver 3 rounds at best. Dawson made him miss and closed out the show. I see him decisioning Johnson again.

El Kabong Guest

I think Dawson would stop more fighters if he switched to orthodox, but that would take away his good jab.

bzkfn, Tarver is past it, he's been past it, he never should have won A round much less 3. Those rounds Dawson lost he seemed to just give away and that is exactly what Jermain Taylor does although I think Taylor does it more because he's out of condition rather than Dawson doing it just because he seems to lose the rhythm of the fight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Dawson would stop more fighters if he switched to orthodox, but that would take away his good jab.

bzkfn, Tarver is past it, he's been past it, he never should have won A round much less 3. Those rounds Dawson lost he seemed to just give away and that is exactly what Jermain Taylor does although I think Taylor does it more because he's out of condition rather than Dawson doing it just because he seems to lose the rhythm of the fight.
    I agree Tarver is past it, but he can still cause problems. I'd hardly call giving away 3 rounds when you've won the rest a catastophe though. People made out like it was a terrible performance. I thought he was excellent in how much he made Tarver miss, and I thought his speed and combination punching was world class.

El Kabong Guest

I agree, I just wish he had more consistency though. Dawson looked as if he could have fought that way the entire fight and I know vs Johnson it will be different as Johnson is the classic over acheiver, he piles on the pressure and last time Dawson didn't take a liking to fighting vs that style, he can't afford to have lapses in a rematch vs Johnson

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by barron71 View Post
    After Mack wins in FL I would like him to Fight Johnson or Dawson. If they are not available then we go for Cloud or Tarver on the undercard of this fight.
    I'd really like to see Mack - Tarver, it would be a step up and a good indicator of how he would fare against Dawson or Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i cant be mad but i want to see him unify any of the 175 belts so there may be more fights for him

El Kabong Guest

Why is everyone so hot on Yusaf Mack all of a sudden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mack has won 4 in a row has been getting better and better every fight!!

Plus he is a true warrior and fun to watch.

El Kabong Guest

It doesn't mean he could hang with these guys....Mack has been KO'd twice already at 168, and the quality of opponent he has fought at 175 isn't on par with what guys like Dawson have fought.

Tavoris Cloud is the TRUTH at 175...he is a little raw right now but it hasn't cost him yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson wins the fight more decisively this time around.

Thread Information