Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Cup 2022

Everyone goes on about Brazil and Argentina have never failed to qualify but South America qualification always seems easy to me for the big teams.

4 out of 10 guaranteed and the 5th placed team gets a play off chance the last I heard. Is it still the same?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Everyone goes on about Brazil and Argentina have never failed to qualify but South America qualification always seems easy to me for the big teams.

4 out of 10 guaranteed and the 5th placed team gets a play off chance the last I heard. Is it still the same?
    Still the same, 5th placed team play a team like Australia/New Zealand. I am watching Colombia as Luis Diaz of Liverpool are playing today and want to see them in the world cup.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Argentina have definitely failed to qualify before. I’m pretty certain they weren’t at 1970 off the top of my head. And probably some others times as well.
    But you’re right , numerically, it’s more or less a 50/50 chance. This is what I was saying about Europe having 45% of the Finals places. There are way more countries in Europe , and before Denny baby pipes up that they’re all shit, I would fancy some middle of the road European side that probably won’t qualify against one of the lesser South American sides that does.
    For example, I’d fancy a Czech Republic or a Sweden or an Italy, against an Ecuador or Peru.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the fact of the matter is that if you go by the numbers (percentage-wise), Africa... as does Asia and CONCACAF... gets relatively screwed on the number of World Cup qualifiers. (So ol' Denny does have a point).
    The percentages favor Europe and South America.

I still think Europe and SA fight it out over the "Continental World Cup"... while Asia brings up the rear.

Seriously though... makes you wonder why the uneven percentages between continents. It's not like the sport isn't popular globally.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After some research Argentina have indeed failed to qualify for just one World Cup. 1970. Brazil have not so I was half right.

I sincerely apologise for my mistake and will enter my one month ban period with dignity.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After some research Argentina have indeed failed to qualify for just one World Cup. 1970. Brazil have not so I was half right.

I sincerely apologise for my mistake and will enter my one month ban period with dignity.
    To be fair , I thought it was more, but there’s been a few where they refused to enter. No need for a ban , I’m not @Master, I’m not gonna hold you to some childish forfeit!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Well the fact of the matter is that if you go by the numbers (percentage-wise), Africa... as does Asia and CONCACAF... gets relatively screwed on the number of World Cup qualifiers. (So ol' Denny does have a point).

I still think Europe and SA fight it out over the "Continental World Cup"... while Asia brings up the rear.

Seriously though... makes you wonder why the uneven percentages between continents. It's not like the sport isn't popular globally.
    I think the proportions are pretty fair. I don’t mean to be rude, but historically African nations never had any kind of structured set up . Fuck me , I remember 59 years ago when Zaire didn’t even know the rules of the game at that famous free kick where the guy runs out of the wall and boots the ball away!
    For all the bullshit , there are only 8 teams that have ever won the World Cup. 5 from Europe and 3 from South America.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 03-29-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tournament will completely change once we expand to the ridiculous 48 teams format.

You'll probably see it held more frequently too.

I hope Qatar get pummeled their 3 group games too.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I think the proportions are pretty fair. I don’t mean to be rude, but historically African nations never had any kind of structured set up . Fuck me , I remember 59 years ago when Zaire didn’t even know the rules of the game at that famous free kick where the guy runs out of the wall and boots the ball away!
    For all the bullshit , there are only 8 teams that have ever won the World Cup. 5 from Europe and 3 from South America.

You're not being rude.

But 9% of the 54 African FIFA-member nations get to qualify, while a whopping 45% of South American and 25% of European countries get to do so?

In both Asia and North/Central America + Caribbean (CONCACAF) it's 10%.

No biggie. I mean, I love to see the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia make it... as they traditionally field good teams.

But I can see where those other continents might have a valid complaint.

Big picture, I usually like the mix of countries in the tournament. But the scale is slightly tipped in favor of the S American and European countries.

Not a tragedy, but something that could probably be tweaked over time.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Poland, Portugal and Senegal through but Egypt out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get what you're saying Tito but isn't the idea that you should get your best 32 teams there at the finals?

Europe has the best football teams by far and many miss out. Let's face it the euros are basically the world Cup without Brazil and Argentina when it comes to the business end of the tournaments.

No idea what the split is intended to be when it goes to 48 countries.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow! So much horseshit in one post, where do I start! When you talk about Boxing, you can tell that you’re really knowledgeable. Whereas when you write about Football, it’s clear you know Jack Shit
    Watch your mouth. ......You don't know me

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    "Europe still gets 13 out of the 32 places. That's like what ? 45% ?”

- yep, probably. But that probably equates to the amounts of national teams in Europe compared to other regions.
    Not really. Other continents have just as many countries. But one continent (Europe) get's close to half.

"And even though Italy didn't qualify through the group stage. they still had a second chance but couldn't get past the mighty Macedonia” -

Yeah , they had a play off. The other continents have these as well.
    The difference is the African teams have to go through a home and away play off system even if they top their group. If you top your group in Europe you go to the world cup automatically.

"Watch what Portigal do to Macedonia on Tues just to show Italy that they were knocked out to a very very very average team"

uh, I think they know that. I don’t think anyone has tried to say any different. It is nothing short of a national disaster. That’s why it was a shock.
    National disaster ? O Please Italy didn't qualify for the previous world cup as well.

"To be honest I think the real tragedy is the fact one of currently the two strongest teams in Africa (Senegal and Egypt) are not gonna be there. “

Luck of the draw mate, surely they base seedlings on previous records . So if the get knocked out, they’ve only got themselves to blame.
    Nothing to do with luck of the draw. Senegal and Egypt won there groups but that wasn't enough bcoz they had to have a play off against each other to see who goes to thr world cup. It'd be like France and Germany who won their groups facing each other to see who goes to the world cup. Would never happen.

"And when you consider all the best African players. Play for European teams.” yep.

Funnily enough, all the European best players play in Europe AND all the best South American players as well. So what’s your point??
    I was meaning people of African origin playing for European countries.

“ I mean world champs France is really an African team. The only proper French men they have in the team are Hugo LLoris, Oliver Giroud and Benajamin Pavard. Mbappe's father is Cameroom and his mom is Algerian. Most of the other blk French players are from Guinea or Congo. The likes Pogba, Kante, Coman etc
    Now we’re getting to your point. Can’t miss an opportunity like this, can you ?
    Just stating facts.

"Even white players like Grizeman is German

yeah? And? Is Germany part of Africa now as well? 🤷*♂️
    Never said it was.

“ Belgium and Lukaku is Congo. Germany's Leroy Sane is from Senegal. In England Saka is Nigeria. Delle Alli's dad is Nigerian. Probably loads more I left out.

You probably have. But big deal. Messi, Maradona, Platini, Scifo, Passarella, Bertone, Di Stefano all had Italian ancestry and qualified for Italy. Probably loads more I left out.
    Bet Italy wouldn't turn down those players now

“ What a team Africa would have if they just said [I]"Let's forget our tribal sh*t and borders. Let's be one country, one language, one currency and lets recruit all these Africam players who are kicking ass for European teams and bring em home"

Uhm, Africa isn’t a country, it’s a continent. So I’m sure we could say the same about South America or Europe if they were a country.
    I know Africa is a continent. But fair point about if S.America and Europe were one country too.

"They'd win every world cup from now till the end of time"

uh, I don’t think so. No African nation has ever come close to winning a World Cup. They’re not the new kids on the block anymore.
    If Africa as a continent played as one block and attracted the African players from Europe. They'd be a scary team who'd win every world. Well maybe not every but they'd be at the business end. They'd be like Brazil.

Back in the 80’s Pele said an African nation would win a World Cup by the year 2000. In 82 Cameroon drew with the Champions elect. In 90 , they beat the reigning World champions in the opening game of the tournament.
    In 2002, Senegal did the the same.20 years down the line, African football has gone backwards if anything.
    Pele who ? lol

I have to agree with you but it's ironic that at under 17 level African teams are very strong

Rather than gone backwards African teams if anything are punching above there weight. The African domestic leagues cannot be compared to La Liga (Spain), Bundesliga (Germany), Seria (Italy), League 1 in France and Copa Do Brazil. The leagues I mentioned above being to the last 6 Soccer World cup winners. It takes a more than a good league to have the talent to win the world cup.

Football was never developed in Africa before independence, and whoever played it well there eventually found its way into the national teams of the metropolitan powers, like the Mozambican Eusébio, who played for Portugal. Back then, the only African nation where football existed at all was Egypt.

Even after independence the African nations struggled to even form national leagues, national teams etc. The difficulties arising from poverty, lacking communication structure and other things being more a priority. The countries where football developed first were, of course, those which had had more autonomy under colonialism (Egypt) or where the colonial power had invested more on colonisation (Algeria and Morocco).

Money is not all that matters: oil-rich Arab nations are not really much better than the average African nations. Basically football is one of the national sports for most countries. It's incredibly difficult to get to the top. Even traditionally sporting giants like USA, despite all the money and investment in USA mens soccer, I mean they're not chumps and you can't mess about with them and they'd give any team a game but despite the millions spent they're still miles away from doing anything serious at a world cup. Which is funny because USA women's soccer teams are double world champs. Same is true of China men's soccer teams. They didn't even qualify for this years world cup and again they've thrown pots of casg at football.

But I think Senegal could do something this time.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 04-03-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mexico and USA qualified for the tournament.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow! So much horseshit in one post, where do I start! When you talk about Boxing, you can tell that you’re really knowledgeable. Whereas when you write about Football, it’s clear you know Jack Shit
    Watch your mouth. ......You don't know me

"Europe still gets 13 out of the 32 places. That's like what ? 45% ?”

- yep, probably. But that probably equates to the amounts of national teams in Europe compared to other regions.
    Not really. Other continents have just as many countries. But one continent (Europe) get's close to half.

"And even though Italy didn't qualify through the group stage. they still had a second chance but couldn't get past the mighty Macedonia” -

Yeah , they had a play off. The other continents have these as well.
    The difference is the African teams have to go through a home and away play off system even if they top their group. If you top your group in Europe you go to the world cup automatically.

"Watch what Portigal do to Macedonia on Tues just to show Italy that they were knocked out to a very very very average team"

uh, I think they know that. I don’t think anyone has tried to say any different. It is nothing short of a national disaster. That’s why it was a shock.
    National disaster ? O Please Italy didn't qualify for the previous world cup as well.

"To be honest I think the real tragedy is the fact one of currently the two strongest teams in Africa (Senegal and Egypt) are not gonna be there. “

Luck of the draw mate, surely they base seedlings on previous records . So if the get knocked out, they’ve only got themselves to blame.
    Nothing to do with luck of the draw. Senegal and Egypt won there groups but that wasn't enough bcoz they had to have a play off against each other to see who goes to thr world cup. It'd be like France and Germany who won their groups facing each other to see who goes to the world cup. Would never happen.

"And when you consider all the best African players. Play for European teams.” yep.

Funnily enough, all the European best players play in Europe AND all the best South American players as well. So what’s your point??
    I was meaning people of African origin playing for European countries.

“ I mean world champs France is really an African team. The only proper French men they have in the team are Hugo LLoris, Oliver Giroud and Benajamin Pavard. Mbappe's father is Cameroom and his mom is Algerian. Most of the other blk French players are from Guinea or Congo. The likes Pogba, Kante, Coman etc
    Now we’re getting to your point. Can’t miss an opportunity like this, can you ?
    Just stating facts.

"Even white players like Grizeman is German

yeah? And? Is Germany part of Africa now as well? 🤷*♂️
    Never said it was.

“ Belgium and Lukaku is Congo. Germany's Leroy Sane is from Senegal. In England Saka is Nigeria. Delle Alli's dad is Nigerian. Probably loads more I left out.

You probably have. But big deal. Messi, Maradona, Platini, Scifo, Passarella, Bertone, Di Stefano all had Italian ancestry and qualified for Italy. Probably loads more I left out.
    Bet Italy wouldn't turn down those players now

“ What a team Africa would have if they just said [I]"Let's forget our tribal sh*t and borders. Let's be one country, one language, one currency and lets recruit all these Africam players who are kicking ass for European teams and bring em home"

Uhm, Africa isn’t a country, it’s a continent. So I’m sure we could say the same about South America or Europe if they were a country.
    I know Africa is a continent. But fair point about if S.America and Europe were one country too.

"They'd win every world cup from now till the end of time"

uh, I don’t think so. No African nation has ever come close to winning a World Cup. They’re not the new kids on the block anymore.
    If Africa as a continent played as one block and attracted the African players from Europe. They'd be a scary team who'd win every world. Well maybe not every but they'd be at the business end. They'd be like Brazil.

Back in the 80’s Pele said an African nation would win a World Cup by the year 2000. In 82 Cameroon drew with the Champions elect. In 90 , they beat the reigning World champions in the opening game of the tournament.
    In 2002, Senegal did the the same.20 years down the line, African football has gone backwards if anything.
    Pele who ? lol

I have to agree with you but it's ironic that at under 17 level African teams are very strong

Rather than gone backwards African teams if anything are punching above there weight. The African domestic leagues cannot be compared to La Liga (Spain), Bundesliga (Germany), Seria (Italy), League 1 in France and Copa Do Brazil. The leagues I mentioned above being to the last 6 Soccer World cup winners. It takes a more than a good league to have the talent to win the world cup.

Football was never developed in Africa before independence, and whoever played it well there eventually found its way into the national teams of the metropolitan powers, like the Mozambican Eusébio, who played for Portugal. Back then, the only African nation where football existed at all was Egypt.

Even after independence the African nations struggled to even form national leagues, national teams etc. The difficulties arising from poverty, lacking communication structure and other things being more a priority. The countries where football developed first were, of course, those which had had more autonomy under colonialism (Egypt) or where the colonial power had invested more on colonisation (Algeria and Morocco).

Money is not all that matters: oil-rich Arab nations are not really much better than the average African nations. Basically football is one of the national sports for most countries. It's incredibly difficult to get to the top. Even traditionally sporting giants like USA, despite all the money and investment in USA mens soccer, I mean they're not chumps and you can't mess about with them and they'd give any team a game but despite the millions spent they're still miles away from doing anything serious at a world cup. Which is funny because USA women's soccer teams are double world champs. Same is true of China men's soccer teams. They didn't even qualify for this years world cup and again they've thrown pots of casg at football.

But I think Senegal could do something this time.
    China and the US have thrown Money at the game , but there’s no appetite for it in those countries. In the US , there is way too much established competition from other sports. In China, there would be way too much “Governmental influence.”
    Whereas in Africa, there’s loads of Talent, appetite and enthusiasm, but no finances , structure or support.
    But Football is so much more than Talent.
    I don’t see Senegal winning it, maybe they’ll get to a quarter final, maybe even a Semi, but the winning team will be one of the previous winners. Those are the facts of the matter.
    Oh, and spare me the “You don’t know me” bollocks.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 03-31-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get what you're saying Tito but isn't the idea that you should get your best 32 teams there at the finals?

Europe has the best football teams by far and many miss out. Let's face it the euros are basically the world Cup without Brazil and Argentina when it comes to the business end of the tournaments.

No idea what the split is intended to be when it goes to 48 countries.

When you look at the FIFA world rankings, it supports your point. If you look at # of countries in the top 32 FIFA rankings versus how many qualifiers they get, it looks something like this:

FIFA Confederation - # of qualifiers - # of countries in top 32

UEFA - 13 - 16

CONMEBOL - 4.5 - 6

CONCACAF - 3.5 - 3

CAF - 5 - 4

AFC - 4.5 - 3

So actually, Europe and S America are technically underrepresented in the World Cup, while the others are slightly overrepresented.

Thread Information