Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who is the worst ever heavyweight champion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst ever heavyweight champion

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Worst ever heavyweight champion

This is a right list of the damned!!!!!
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Worst ever heavyweight champion

Haven't seen any footage, but from reading it's probabaly Marvin Hart

Worst I've seen is probabaly Spinks
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't get to see Hart or Spinks, so I'm going with Ruiz.

I definitely wouldn't vote for Douglas. He was actually a very talented fighter, the most talented on that list in my opinion, he was just a total dog when it came to training.
    I think a lot of non-boxing fans think he was just a guy who landed one lucky punch, but anyone who watched Tyson-Douglas knows that he dominated that entire fight. Mike was the one who landed one lucky punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Buster douglas simply because he pulls the biggest upset in sports history (52:1), has a shot at greatness and he blows it in his next fight. Rahman and Ruiz aren't trophy champs either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I didn't get to see Hart or Spinks, so I'm going with Ruiz.

I definitely wouldn't vote for Douglas. He was actually a very talented fighter, the most talented on that list in my opinion, he was just a total dog when it came to training.
    I think a lot of non-boxing fans think he was just a guy who landed one lucky punch, but anyone who watched Tyson-Douglas knows that he dominated that entire fight. Mike was the one who landed one lucky punch.
    Douglas also got a very lucky long count because in my books the fight was over after tyson knocked him down.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Douglas was fantastic against Tyson. Admitedly he never was before or after - but he was on that night!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Douglas also got a very lucky long count because in my books the fight was over after tyson knocked him down.
    I've never really bought into the long count theory, because if you watch the tape, there are a few seconds where Douglas is sitting up, staring at the referee, waiting for him to get to 8 or 9, at which point he gets up. He was waiting out the count for a few seconds. So if it had been a second or two faster (I believe King argued it was 12 seconds long), Douglas still would've likely had time to get up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never really bought into the long count theory, because if you watch the tape, there are a few seconds where Douglas is sitting up, staring at the referee, waiting for him to get to 8 or 9, at which point he gets up. He was waiting out the count for a few seconds. So if it had been a second or two faster (I believe King argued it was 12 seconds long), Douglas still would've likely had time to get up.
    When the ref says 9 you can see douglas be alittle unsturdy and the ref waits a good bit past a normal ten count to say hes able to continue. The first time i watched the fight without really knowing the outcome so i had an unbiased look it the count appears to be a long one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When the ref says 9 you can see douglas be alittle unsturdy and the ref waits a good bit past a normal ten count to say hes able to continue. The first time i watched the fight without really knowing the outcome so i had an unbiased look it the count appears to be a long one.
    But if I remember correctly, the controversy had nothing to do with the end of the count. It was about the fact that the ref didn't make eye contact with the alternate ref at ringside, who is in charge of starting the count while the ref in the ring is sending the other fighter to a neutral corner.
    So when the ref got in front of Douglas and started counting in front of his face, he started at 3 instead of 5 (or whatever the numbers were, it was 2 seconds behind).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Problem is Tyson never finished his job but Douglas did. Anyway I vote for Spinks as worst based soley on the fact he damn near had the an almost losing record: 25 wins and 17 or 19 losses.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im gona go mccall....
    i mean he sparked lennox which was amazing..
    but i lost my respect for him because of his drug missuse and the fact that he did it big and ruined it.. and then became nothing more then a bawling baby ...during the rematch..
    lol i did love his excuse though!!
    lol its was all a sham to suck lennox in or something.. i was baiting him or something to that effect!!
    lol love it!
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eh, so many people have held belts that I don't think you can say. I think the worst undisputed champion, purely in terms of boxing ability, is James Braddock imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Eh, so many people have held belts that I don't think you can say. I think the worst undisputed champion, purely in terms of boxing ability, is James Braddock imo.
    Nah, Braddock wasn't a bad fighter. He pilled up all those loses when he was injured and needed to fight practically monthly to feed his family. He had some real quality wins at LHW before Loughran beat him, and Loughran is an ATG. Braddock couldn't handle slick boxers like Loughran and Rosenbloom, but he was a good counterpuncher and ate up brawler types.

My vote goes to Primo Carnera, who got beat by Baer. Carnera was the Valuev of his day, but he was the undisputed champ. Carnera had no skill but was 60-70 lbs heavier than everybody he fought.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

John Tate

Was never Undisputed champ.

Never actually won the title..... But lost it in his 1st defence.... FIVE months after obtaining it...

Never challenged for a title again

Never looked like a serious fighter again and was even riddiculed in his home town

Id say discussion closed
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

ICB Guest

michael dokes has got to be there somewhere

Thread Information