Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the P4P ranking look now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How does the P4P ranking look now?

Honestly I haven't been watching as much boxing as before. I am trying to keep up with what has happen this year. During last weekends fight, HBO talked about how Williams and Martinez are the 3rd and 4th best P4P fighters today.

What is everyones list right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does the P4P ranking look now?

1. Pacquiao
    2. Mayweather
    3. Sergio Martinez
    4. Juan Manuel Marquez
    5. Juan Manuel Lopez
    6. Nonito Donaire
    7. Fernando Montiel
    8. The Thai dude
    9. Lucian Bute
    10. Wladimir Klitschko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. mayweather jr. - reason why i have him no. 1 is because if he ever fights pacquiao, he'll beat him easily.
    2. pacquiao - can't argue with his success. now he has to step it up and fight someone young and fast.
    3. sergio martinez - what a fighter and what a humble person. deserves this lofty spot.
    4. juan manuel marquez - what can you say about this little warrior. lunch pail type of guy.
    5. juanma lopez - this is an ascending star and could be the face of boxing in a couple of years.
    6. wladimir klitschko - have him this low because of his very mediocre competition. has won in dominant style but was also expected to.
    7. andre ward - another one of those potential mega stars in boxing. one of the most talented boxers on the planet.
    8. fernando montiel - his crushing victory over hasegawa in japan was formidable and for that, he definitely deserves this lofty spot.
    9. vitalil klitschko - same as wladimir.
    10. lucian bute - i think this guy is the real deal so i don't know why he's been so underrated for so long. this guy has it all and a huge star in canada. if he keeps winning big, he'll be a star everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Box Rec's P4P looks pretty accurate to me. Here's mine.
    Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Wlad
    Martinez
    Vitali
    B-Hop
    JMM
    Bute
    Ward
    Bradley

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no different than a teen choice awards...P4P rankings are a joke now, people are acting like Ricky Hatton already, treating it as if it were a title in itself

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    no different than a teen choice awards...P4P rankings are a joke now, people are acting like Ricky Hatton already, treating it as if it were a title in itself
    How is it a joke? It is the measurement of the best fighters in the whole sport. There is really no right or wrong list, but usually 99% would agree on the top 2.

It aint no joke to be called a top p4p fighter.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    How is it a joke? It is the measurement of the best fighters in the whole sport. There is really no right or wrong list, but usually 99% would agree on the top 2.

i'm not saying that being a top p4p fighter is a joke, i mean people's obsession with the rankings or even some people's ranking are ridiculous period

for example how the hell can someone have someone like Lopez on a p4p list yet not have Wlad on there when he's been cleaning out the HW division for like the last 5 yrs at least, and on the other hand people have Donaire so high up when if you really compare who he's beaten to someone like Khan well in actuality Khan has a better record and should be higher than him, same goes for Bradley, p4p rankings are barely structured on skill or accomplishments now, it usually is just a popularity poll, that's why i say it has become a joke

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    10. lucian bute - i think this guy is the real deal so i don't know why he's been so underrated for so long. this guy has it all and a huge star in canada. if he keeps winning big, he'll be a star everywhere.
    That's not true. No one outside of Montreal/Quebec (maybe) knows who he is. Canadians, by and large, do not follow boxing at all.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's mine just off the top of my head and without giving it a lot of thought. I still follow the old adage that HW's are not included on the list, otherwise I would have Wlad on here.

1. Pacquiao
    2. Mayweather
    3. Martinez
    4. Montiel
    5. Ward
    6. JM Marquez
    7. Bradley
    8. Pascal
    9. JM Lopez
    10. Wonjongkam

I really want to put Bute on there, I think he's a better fighter than some I have listed, but he just hasn't beaten anyone. Yet.

Hopkins can fuck right off.

Finally, I put Wonjongkam on there mostly out of reputation, which I probably shouldn't have done, because I don't know a ton about him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd have to have pac first martinez second floyd third......then everyone else.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post

HOLY CRAP! You actually buy into this P4P ranking? It was originally just a hypothetical game used to compare fighters from different weight classes. It has noting to do with reality. It is subjective, and anyone could relate it the Oscars or any other opinionated comparison. The current P4P Rankings is highly political and a lot of it has to do with what fighter is getting the most publicity. The leader in P4P Rankings is a publication organization. It makes more sense for them to list fighters that is going to increase their readership rather than list fighters relatively unknown to the public.

Here is one category that is typically not accounted for. "Determination/Heart" a fighter with the relentless will can overcome skill, speed even weight advantages held by another fighter. Micky Ward, David Dias were often behind on fight cards but still managed to knock out opponents to win. So you rank these guys lower on your P4P lists and statics but the reality is you lost that $100 bet.

I'm not saying it doesn't have value. It has a very big affect. It's crap as ranking and completely unfair because there is no just is way to measure active fighters of different weight-classes. i.e. fighters are defined by who they face in the ring and their performances. How can you accurately measure the ability of featherweight against that of a heavyweight? It cannot be done!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Here's mine just off the top of my head and without giving it a lot of thought. I still follow the old adage that HW's are not included on the list, otherwise I would have Wlad on here.

1. Pacquiao
    2. Mayweather
    3. Martinez
    4. Montiel
    5. Ward
    6. JM Marquez
    7. Bradley
    8. Pascal
    9. JM Lopez
    10. Wonjongkam

I really want to put Bute on there, I think he's a better fighter than some I have listed, but he just hasn't beaten anyone. Yet.

Hopkins can fuck right off.

Finally, I put Wonjongkam on there mostly out of reputation, which I probably shouldn't have done, because I don't know a ton about him.
    yeah you should probably take him off before CutMeMick sees it . Wonjongkam has a few good victories, but mostly garbage fights that should never even be considered to be sanctioned. He does get credit for beating Kameda and he's 2-1-1 against Naito. I wouldn't say that it merits a p4p status. to each their own though.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P4P is really subjective. It depends on how you measure it up. Fighters resume, stats, compare divisions by divisions, etc. To me, I measure it by quality wins, within and across divisions. Some emphasize raw assessments of talent, some emphasize who would beat whom in a bout where both fighters were magically transformed into the same size.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I simply can't do it. There are more than 10 top fighters across all weights that have so many variables in the fights they've had/ not had you cannot fairly compare most of them. Not enough for a true list. So I'm not even going to attempt it.

When does the saddo P4P happen again? I'll be curious to see who gets in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    I simply can't do it. There are more than 10 top fighters across all weights that have so many variables in the fights they've had/ not had you cannot fairly compare most of them. Not enough for a true list. So I'm not even going to attempt it.

When does the saddo P4P happen again? I'll be curious to see who gets in.
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...10-voting.html

Thread Information