Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kelly Pavlik's return

Hey guys, how have you all been keeping?

Apologies for not getting on here much lately, but on a big fight weekend it's always nice to soak up some of the forum happenings.

I watched Kelly Pavlik's comeback fight, and I thought he was a little underwhelming to be honest. I don't think he's made the necessary adjustments to his style if he is going to get past better fighters, and I was impressed by Sigmon's toughness.

I wrote about the fight on my blog, have a read and let me know what you think - I just find it hard to see how Kelly can win a title when he comes up against some really tough 168 pounders.

Can Kelly Pavlik embrace change? | The View from the Outer

Also, here's another boxing post I wrote after watching the shocking ESPN 30 for 30 film Muhammad and Larry, which is a very depressing flick...

Muhammad and Larry – A Cautionary Tale | The View from the Outer
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kelly Pavlik's return

How did Pavlik look?

A few have mentioned his name as a future Froch opponent.

For the record I think Froch would destroy him unless he has totaly turned himself around.
    Balls

jon09 Guest

I thought Pavlik looked good last night. He had the height and reach advantage and it really showed against Sigmon who could not budge Pavlik with his best shots. Pavlik is using the Mayweather chin in shoulder alot more on the inside now, along with decent body punching. Bring on a Bika or Johnson fight which would be entertaining and a real test for him at 168.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I didn't see a whole lot different.

Teddy Atlas said a great thing during the telecast when he said that Pavlik is either defending or attacking, he still hasn't married up how to do both - you can see him think 'I'm going to defend now', and he takes a few seconds off with some head movement. But Teddy's point was that he should be doing that all the time.

This video from after the Hopkins fight is where I took the quotes from for the piece.

Hopkins was lambasted for it at the time I think, but I really think he's talking sense - Pavlik does need to get that slickness, and I don't think he's going to get it from Robert Garcia.

I suppose professional boxing is a tough arena to try out new stuff, but Sigmon was the perfect opponent to do it against. But jeez, do it in the gym.

Fightersl lack of flexibility is one of my bugbears. It's a problem with Michael Katsidis as well, another of my faves. But these guys need, in order to lenghten their careers, more string to their bow IMO...
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even if all the greatest trainers in history got together as a team and tried to give Pavlik slickness, he wouldn't have it. He is a plodding guy.

couple of points:
    1-Pavlik's feet are slow at 160. Above 160 they look like they are absolutely stuck in quicksand
    2-Ward, Froch, Kessler and headaches box his ears off
    3-He would make for a good fight with Bika, Johnson, Stieglitz, Abraham, Oousthizen, Degale, Groves, Stevenson, and Rodriguez.
    4-Bute? eh, depends on whether Bute is going to be fractured mentally by what Froch did to him.

I think his team needs to keep putting him out there and look to avoid the top 4 guys.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kelly Pavlik beat up on a "little version" of Kelly Pavlik.
    There's still a long road back.... but it's a start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched Pavlik on a download this mornin and really thought he was just plodding, if a little better. \not that he was quick before, but he definitely looks to have lost a step on pace. After a couple more fights maybe he gets sharper. I'd like to see him do it, as there are a few decent fights for him to be had.

Him shoutng Froch out though, dear me. Froch would back him up and batter him I think. 160 was his destiny, as Bernard Hopkins told him.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey hows it going mate.
    I saw it the same way he controlled that guy no problems and the collective damage showed but he didnt show any real finishing power. Can he be an all out trainee or a slacker who does just enough to get by is what it left me thinking .
    Maybe he just wanted rounds? Probably a good thing at this stage.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The real question is he ready for Carl Froch?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Andre!

I'm going well mate, can't complain - working too many hours, but all good. How about yourself, how're the family getting on?

I'm leaning to your assessment as well, I just don't think he's made the adjustments, but I suppose getting a few rounds when you've been struggling is important as you say.

It must be tough for these blokes to make radical adjustments to their style, especially if what they've been doing has worked for them previously.

But I think Froch has far too many skills for Pavlik at this stage, and as Bernard said - he needs really develop some other attributes if he is to get his career back on track.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Hey guys, how have you all been keeping?

Apologies for not getting on here much lately, but on a big fight weekend it's always nice to soak up some of the forum happenings.

I watched Kelly Pavlik's comeback fight, and I thought he was a little underwhelming to be honest. I don't think he's made the necessary adjustments to his style if he is going to get past better fighters, and I was impressed by Sigmon's toughness.

I wrote about the fight on my blog, have a read and let me know what you think - I just find it hard to see how Kelly can win a title when he comes up against some really tough 168 pounders.

Can Kelly Pavlik embrace change? | The View from the Outer

Also, here's another boxing post I wrote after watching the shocking ESPN 30 for 30 film Muhammad and Larry, which is a very depressing flick...

Muhammad and Larry – A Cautionary Tale | The View from the Outer
    Who are you

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree actually @Greig

Pavlik looked strong and fresh. He was using a wider variety of punches than he had prior to working with Robert Garcia. His defense has improved. All in all, he looked pretty good, considering his recent personal problems and in his second fight with a new trainer.

Pavlik has to be matched well. He was a big, tall middleweight. He's not as big or tall at super middleweight. If he had trouble with guys who could move at middleweight, Sergio Martinez etc., he'll have even more trouble with guys like that at super middlweight. Of the top guys at 168, a fight with Carl Froch would be his best chance at victory. However, considering what Froch did to Bute, I wouldn't rate Pavlik's chances as very good. He loses to Andre Ward. Is Kessler a light heavyweight now? If not, that's a decent fight, but Kessler should win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very nice Big H, deserved that.

Rantcantrat. I didn't see too much variety in the arsenal to be honest with you - but I suppose defensively he did have a couple of nice sequences where he was moving his head a bit.

I haven't been following the sport as closely as I have in recent years, but if I were Pavlik I'd be seeking somebody out like a Dan Birmingham, someone who could really get him moving.

captainanddew - I know you say he's a plodder, but I don't think it's genetic or anything. If you watch the way he used to train with Loew he was lifting truck tyres and pounding stuff with a sledgehammer. I'm sure a few months of some rapid fire feet excercises would make a difference. It might now turn him into Pernell Whittaker, but it would definitely make him more effective IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

theres talk about brian magee v pavlic coming off any more word on it

El Kabong Guest

I don't like Pavlik, never have. I hope Abraham beats his ass!

Thread Information