Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ring Mag. Welterweight Champion

Questions:

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Retired and vacated the Ring Belt. Shouldn't have Mosley vs Margarito been a box off for the vacated Ring title? Wasn't Mosley ranked #3, Margarito #1 and Williams moved up?

So now we have Mayweather un-retired and facing Marquez and The Ring title is still vacant, shouldn't the title belt be on the line since the fight is being made within the weight class?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ring Mag. Welterweight Champion

If I remember this correctly, the fighter has to make it clear that he's moving up and for good which I don't believe Williams has done. I say this because it was almost a year and he was already challenging for the middleweight title before Winky ever vacated his hold on the 154 Ring belt. If Lance Uppercut is around he will clarify this for you I'm sure, he seems to have all the sanctioning/Ring rules down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Questions:

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Retired and vacated the Ring Belt. Shouldn't have Mosley vs Margarito been a box off for the vacated Ring title? Wasn't Mosley ranked #3, Margarito #1 and Williams moved up?

So now we have Mayweather un-retired and facing Marquez and The Ring title is still vacant, shouldn't the title belt be on the line since the fight is being made within the weight class?
    makes sense to me. props to Ring for trying to have one champ, but their rules are kind of screwball. Or else they just flat out messd up on this one? IMO they messed up with the way they ranked PAC over the last year also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Questions:

Good question, not a good answer. Going by the Ring rules, yes Mosley could have been declared the Ring champion but he had just lost the year cefore I believe to another title holder whose name escapes me. As for Mayweather vs Marquez being declared the champion I haven't looked but doesn't the Ring wait until a retired fighter has fought again and then rank him? Besides Marquez is now moving up and hasn'y fought at that weight yet.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto? He lost to Cotto and I don't think that has any bearing on who the champion is anyways, just how someone would be ranked had they not been champion.

Are you sure Mosley was 3rd? If anything their real mistake would have been ranking a Mosley ahead of Cotto, that doesn't seem like it could be right and that's probably what the deal was. I have the issue prior I'll see if I can dig it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    If I remember this correctly, the fighter has to make it clear that he's moving up and for good which I don't believe Williams has done. I say this because it was almost a year and he was already challenging for the middleweight title before Winky ever vacated his hold on the 154 Ring belt. If Lance Uppercut is around he will clarify this for you I'm sure, he seems to have all the sanctioning/Ring rules down.

When Margarito and Mosely fought the rankings were:

1) Margarito
    2) Cotto
    3) Mosely

The Ring rules state that a vacancy can only be filled by #1 vs #2; or #1 vs #3 if there is very little difference between #2 and #3.

The Ring felt that there was a difference between Cotto and Mosely because they recently fought at welterweight, and Cotto won. Thus, the #1 vs #3 exception did not apply.

This decision was heavily criticized by the boxing media at the time.

Boxing experts such as Brian Kenny and Dan Rafael, who normally followed the Ring rankings departed on this decision and considered Mosely THE champ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read an article at the time where Ring explained why Margarito & Mosley wasn't a championship fight.

If I recall correctly they asked the expert panel that decides these things (it's like a hundred journlists and fight industry people -there is a list of these people online somewhere too, I know Barry McGuigan is one of them) and they decided, and I think it was quite tight too (maybe even 51%-49%), against declaring it a Ring Championship fight due to Mosley's loss to Cotto.

At the time I thought that had Margarito won it was a little tough on him that he wouldn't be named champion, but as Mosley won and was ranked below Cotto (and having lost to him previously) it was the correct decision.
    You do a commercial and you're off the artistic roll call... forever
    --Bill Hicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito76 View Post
    I read an article at the time where Ring explained why Margarito & Mosley wasn't a championship fight.

If I recall correctly they asked the expert panel that decides these things (it's like a hundred journlists and fight industry people -there is a list of these people online somewhere too, I know Barry McGuigan is one of them) and they decided, and I think it was quite tight too (maybe even 51%-49%), against declaring it a Ring Championship fight due to Mosley's loss to Cotto.

At the time I thought that had Margarito won it was a little tough on him that he wouldn't be named champion, but as Mosley won and was ranked below Cotto (and having lost to him previously) it was the correct decision.
    Well, that sheds some light, but it doesn't add up. It sounds like they have decided amongst themselves to effectively invalidate the results of Margarito - Cotto because of the wrap issue in Mosley-Margarito?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito76 View Post

Well, that sheds some light, but it doesn't add up. It sounds like they have decided amongst themselves to effectively invalidate the results of Margarito - Cotto because of the wrap issue in Mosley-Margarito?
    That's not possible, because the championship panel voted against it being for the championship weeks before the fight. We found out that Margacheto was a cheater on the night of the fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah as Lance said The Ring panel voted when the Mosley/ Margarito fight was signed if it should be for the vacant championship. About 55% that responded didn't want it for the championship, which I also agreed with. Mainly because of Cotto's win over Mosley & Williams was still a very present danger at that time

I wonder if Mosley/ Clottey will qualify? Mosley's #1, Clottey's 3 & the Cotto/ Clottey fight was very close, & Cotto went the catchweight way against Pacquiao; so it could!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post

When Margarito and Mosely fought the rankings were:

1) Margarito
    2) Cotto
    3) Mosely

The Ring rules state that a vacancy can only be filled by #1 vs #2; or #1 vs #3 if there is very little difference between #2 and #3.

The Ring felt that there was a difference between Cotto and Mosely because they recently fought at welterweight, and Cotto won. Thus, the #1 vs #3 exception did not apply.

This decision was heavily criticized by the boxing media at the time.

Boxing experts such as Brian Kenny and Dan Rafael, who normally followed the Ring rankings departed on this decision and considered Mosely THE champ.

Thanks. That was the point I was trying to make about the Ring's policy and Cotto, In an earlier generation with one champion eventually Mosley would have fought Cotto again the way the round robin deal has gone.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Thread Information