Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Would Alex Arthur Cut it at World Level?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would Alex Arthur Cut it at World Level?

This is somethin I've been thinking about lately.

Arthur has mopped up domestically. He's anxious and eager to fight for a world title. Although he said he'd like that this year, his last fight was inconclusive and stopped because of a cut, so I expect him to be in against another European challenger next, but early next year he could be up against someone like Jorge Barrios or one of the other super featherweight titlists.

How do you reckon he'd do against that kind of class?

Personally I think he'd have a shot against Barrios for the WBO crown. Jorge is wild swinging and clumsy himself, he is open to the counter, and Arthur is a solid, all-round boxer. That fight would still worry me though. Barrios has power in both hands, and is relentless. Arthur isn't the best boxer under pressure. If I was Warren I'd maybe target Baloyi aswell. Medina outboxed him for a while, but gassed out. Arthur has great fitness...And I think Tommy Gilmour promotes the South African (?) so that can be made. They staged Arthur-Docherty remember.

Ultimately, I'm not convinced. But he's got to test himself against that kind of level sooner or later, and I would give him a decent chance to take one of the big belts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would Alex Arthur Cut it at World Level?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mac10
    This is somethin I've been thinking about lately.

Arthur has mopped up domestically. He's anxious and eager to fight for a world title. Although he said he'd like that this year, his last fight was inconclusive and stopped because of a cut, so I expect him to be in against another European challenger next, but early next year he could be up against someone like Jorge Barrios or one of the other super featherweight titlists.

How do you reckon he'd do against that kind of class?

Personally I think he'd have a shot against Barrios for the WBO crown. Jorge is wild swinging and clumsy himself, he is open to the counter, and Arthur is a solid, all-round boxer. That fight would still worry me though. Barrios has power in both hands, and is relentless. Arthur isn't the best boxer under pressure. If I was Warren I'd maybe target Baloyi aswell. Medina outboxed him for a while, but gassed out. Arthur has great fitness...And I think Tommy Gilmour promotes the South African (?) so that can be made. They staged Arthur-Docherty remember.

Ultimately, I'm not convinced. But he's got to test himself against that kind of level sooner or later, and I would give him a decent chance to take one of the big belts.
    He would be totally dominated by any off the elite in his weight division, he has been ready for 12 months now, but he just aint a big draw, what was the figures for his last fight in his hoe town wasnt it? Didnt they struggle to sell 4 thousand tickets? Im not sold on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After the night he lost to Gomez people stopped going to his fights because he had to rebuild his career against opposition no one had heard of. The biggest night in the capital recently was when JC came up to fight the forgetful Kabery Salem -there was more action outside the ring with crowd trouble. Alex's last few fights the attendance has been shocking - Edinburgh fight fans just haven't been turning out and there's been a lot less youngsters in the crowd. Although, if he was to fight for a world title things might be different.

He's been so dominant against domestic and European fighters I'd like to see him get tested fighting top ranked opposition to see how far he's come and if he can operate at a higher level. The jury's still out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel Alex has done his time in the lower ranks and deserves his shot, i have no idea how he will do, if he is able to raise his game further still only time will tell but good luck to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in a word yes i think he would

Thread Information