Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choco-Srisaket II/Inoue-Nieves/Cuadras-Estrada - Sept 9 Great Card!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Choco-Srisaket II/Inoue-Nieves/Cuadras-Estrada - Sept 9 Great Card!!!

Sandwiched between the exhibition and most anticipated fight of the year is the top 5 independently rated superflyweights in the world all on the same bill - 4 against each other.

Whilst all the "real fans" will be complaining about boxings demise, Floyd destroying the sport, what a "rip off" PPV is and all that jazz they wont even know who these fighters are let alone watch them.

Choco gets a rightful rematch, Inoue makes his American debut - obviously to set up the mega clash - and Cuadras-Estrada fight to establish the no.1 mandatory for Choc-Thai.

(I set the over/under at 5 replies)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Choco-Srisaket II/Inoue-Nieves/Cuadras-Estrada - Sept 9 Great Card!!!

Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (46-1, 38 KOs) will be attempting to avenge his loss to WBC Super flyweight champion Srisakt Sor Rungvisai (43-4-1, 39 KOs) in less than 3 months from now on September 9 on HBO Boxing After Dark from a still to be determined venue in California. The Rungvisai-Gonzalez 2 fight comes just one week before the huge fight between IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 16 on HBO PPV.

It’s unclear how much the Rungvisai vs. Gonzalez fight winds up hurting the Canelo-Golovkin fight promotions. It’s obviously not coming at a good time for the Canelo vs. Golovkin fight. Some of the boxing fans that would be focused on the Canelo vs. Golovkin fight will be talking up the Rungvisai vs. “Chocolatito” rematch. Golovkin vs. Canelo is already dealing with the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight undercutting it with that fight being staged on August 26. The last thing Canelo and Golovkin needs is to have Rungvisai vs. Gonzalez taking place one week before their big fight on HBO. It would have been better if Rungvisai and “Chocolatito” had been added to the Canelo-Golovkin card as the co-feature bout. That would have helped make the fight card bigger and it would give less competition to the promotion of the card.

“I’m ready to go back into battle and reclaim by WBC Super Flyweight Championship from Sor Rungvisai on September 9,” said Roman Gonzalez. “I know what I have to do to become victorious and with God’s help I will be champion once again.”

Gonzalez may end up really regretting his decision to fight Rungvisai again. Without a major overhaul in his fighting style, Gonzalez is going to be in deep trouble when he gets inside the ring with Rungvisai again. Rungvisai has got really heavy hands. He’s arguably the most powerful puncher in the super flyweight division by far. Gonzalez’s power is nowhere near the level of Rungvisai.

The only area where Gonzalez was able to give Rungvisai problems was with his body punching. Rungvisai did not like getting hit to the body. Rungvisai gave up on slugging with Gonzalez in the last three rounds of the fight, and chose to circle the ring to avoid getting hit. That was a real surprise because Rungvisai is usually the guy that stalks his opponents and looks to knock them out. He didn’t want to get hit to the body Gonzalez.

The 30-year-old Gonzalez lost a 12 round majority decision to Rungvisai on March 18 this year. The judges scored it 114-112, 114-112 and 113-113. Boxing News 24 scored the fight 114-112 in favor of Rungvisai. He knocked Gonzalez down in round 1, and got the better of him with his powerful shots to the head. Gonzalez took a beating in that fight, and while he did come back in the last 4 rounds, he still didn’t do enough to get the ‘W’.’

Gonzalez has a lot of pride obviously, and he doesn’t want to walk away from that loss without trying to avenge it. But it’s pretty clear that Gonzalez doesn’t have the power to dominate at super flyweight like he did in winning world titles at 105, 108 and 112. Gonzalez has fought twice since moving up to super flyweight weight (115) against Carols Cuadras and Rungvisai, and he’s taken a beating in both fights.

In looking at the race of Cuadras and Rungvisai after their fights with Gonzalez, they looked unmarked. Gonzalez’s punches are not powerful enough for him to do damage in the super flyweight division. Gonzalez will need to either move back down in weight to flyweight or change his fighting style to become more of a boxer rather than a puncher. Right now, Gonzalez’s fighting style is still that of a puncher, but without having the punch in the 115 lb. division for him to excel. That often happens with sluggers when they move up in weight. They either change their fighting style or they start taking beatings, which I what we’re seeing with Gonzalez. He should have made a majir change of his fighting style after his grueling fight with Cuadras last year in September.

Gonzalez’s punching power couldn’t dent Cuadras’ chin, and it turned out to be a really brutal fight for Gonzalez. The only reason he won the fight was because he outworked Cuadras, and forced him to fight at a faster pace than he was capable. Gonzalez tried the same thing against Rungvisai, and it was working in the later rounds, but then the Thailand fighter adapted by getting on his bike. Gonzalez’s foot speed was too slow for him to catch up to Rungvisai in order to pull out the victory.

The Rungvisai vs. Gonzalez fight will be part of a triple-header on HBO Boxing After Dark. In the co-feature bout, unbeaten WBO super flyweight champion Naoya Inoue (13-0, 11 KOs) will be facing Antonio Nieves (17-1-2, 9 KOs). Inoue, 24, is an incredible talent, but this isn’t a great fight through. Nieves, 30, is coming off of a 10 round split decision loss to Nikolai Potapov. Shortly before that Nieves fought to a 10 round draw against Alejandro Santiago last September.

Nieves also fought to an 8 round draw against Stephon Young in June 2015. Nieves isn’t ranked in the World Boxing Organization’s top 15. This is more of a showcase fight for Inoue to make him look good. For a co-feature fight, you’d like to see Inoue facing at least someone like Carlos Cuadras, Rungvisai, Rex Tso, Khalid Yafai or Jerwin Acajas. Those guys would be good opponents for Inoue. Nieves vs. Inoue is just a mismatch, and not a fight that makes for good television on HBO.

If the idea is to build Inoue up to make him look sensational in order to put him in with the winner of the Rungvisai vs. “Chocolatito” fight, then it’s a great idea to match Inoue against Nieves. But if this is for entertainment purposes, then I don’t think Inoue-Nieves is going to work out for that purpose.

The arguably much more interesting undercard fight involves former WBC super flyweight champion Carlos “Principe” Cuadras (36-1-1, 27 KOs) facing former WBO flyweight champion Juan Francisco “El Gallo” Estrada (35-2, 25 KOs) in a 12 round fight at 115 pounds. It’s unclear why Cuadras-Estrada isn’t the co-feature bout on the card, because it’s so much more competitive on paper than the mismatch between Inoue and Nieves. All I can think is Inoue is being given a major push to try and buildup a fight between him and the winner of the Rungvisai-Gonzalez fight for a unification fight. It’s nice on paper to have a unification, but it’s still better to have the more exciting fights at the top of the card instead of being pushed down to the third fight from the top.

I’d prefer to have seen Estrada or Cuadras matched against Inoue instead of a fighter that is coming off of a loss in Nieves. I think it’s going to make Inoue look better than he actually is. Don’t get me wrong. Inoue is a good fighter, but he hasn’t been fighting good opposition. Inoue didn’t look good in his win over David Carmona last May. Inoue won the fight by a 12 round unanimous decision, but the scores by 2 of the judges didn’t match the actual fight that took pace. Those judges both scored it 118-109, 118-109. The other judge had it 116-111. That was the more accurate score in my view. Inoue won the fight, but he struggled with Carmona’s combination punching. Inoue got exposed in that fight, but you wouldn’t know it by looking at the scores from 2 of the judges that had it 118-109.

Estrada and Cuadras both were beaten in the past by Roman Gonzalez. Estrada lost a hard fought 12 round unanimous decision to Gonzalez on November 17, 2012. The judges scored the fight 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112. The boxing fans loved this fight. It was closer than the 118-110 score that one judge had it. Estrada has won his last 9 fights since the loss to “Chocolatito”, and he’s looked great. Estrada had some problems in beating Brian Viloria by a 12 round split decision in April 2013, but he’s shined ever since then. Estrada is going to be a tough foe for Cuadras. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Estrada have his hand raised at the end of the fight. Estrada doesn’t possess the same power that Cuadras does, but he’s very technical and an extremely intelligent fighter. You’ve got to figure that any close rounds will go to Cuadras, because he’s better known in the U.S than Estrada and he has a lot of amateur experience.

Cuadras is going to need to come up with a different game plan for this fight than the one that we saw him use against Gonzalez and David Carmona. Cuadras was just throwing to throw rapid combinations to win rounds. It didn’t work against Gonzalez, as he stayed on top of Cuadras, forcing him to fight in a more sustained manner that his body wouldn’t allow him to do. In Cuadras’ last fight, he won a VERY controversial 10 round unanimous decision to David Carmona on March 18. The judges scored the fight 96-94, 97-93 and 97-93. Many boxing fans had Carmona winning. Cuadras was lucky to escape with a win, because Carmona had his number in that fight.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/06/...ngvisai-sep-9/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Choco-Srisaket II/Inoue-Nieves/Cuadras-Estrada - Sept 9 Great Card!!!

Spamming divvy articles doesn't count as a post.

"It’s unclear how much the Rungvisai vs. Gonzalez fight winds up hurting the Canelo-Golovkin fight promotions" - Fucking div, the whole idea of putting it on "free" HBO one week before is to SELL the PPV, the card wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for Golovkin-Canelo on the same network.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

"It’s unclear how much the Rungvisai vs. Gonzalez fight winds up hurting the Canelo-Golovkin fight promotions" - Fucking div, the whole idea of putting it on "free" HBO one week before is to SELL the PPV, the card wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for Golovkin-Canelo on the same network.
    I do it because I know you love it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I was coming to complain about the same thing. It's getting really tiring watching fake narratives be created and then repeated ad naseum.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet on over :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice little round robin boiled down to one night. Cuadras has been in a couple of wars last out and that version won't get by Estrada me thinks. I think Inoue coming Stateside is the headline here and glad Gonzalez and Wangek aka what's my name this week are doing it again. Surely Chocalatito comes in more polished and fights smarter but wouldn't be totally shocked to see Wangek win and possibly even wider.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now that's some card. The last time there was a card anywhere like that was the first Estrada fight which had Viloria Marquez and a couple of other great fights. Choco-Estrada was a lot of peoples' vote for FOTY in 2012 but it wasn't even the best fight on that card. That had better bloody well get shown in Europe.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll bite. Not only to trash the post prediction, but to say that according to @erics44 the card is shit, basically because they're not lumbering behemoths.

Actually, Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez is one of my current fav fighters. I was happy and proud of local boy McWilliams Arroyo's pretty good showing against him, albeit in a losing effort.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd's circus "fight" is still shit, though.

It'll be the demise of boxing as we know it.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'll bite. Not only to trash the post prediction, but to say that according to @erics44 the card is shit, basically because they're not lumbering behemoths.

Actually, Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez is one of my current fav fighters. I was happy and proud of local boy McWilliams Arroyo's pretty good showing against him, albeit in a losing effort.
    i never said the card was shit did I?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

No you didn't. I was giving you shit for saying bigger boxers are better boxers than smaller boxers. I feel that is a totally incorrect blanket statement, but to each his own. I rather enjoy a good boxing match between little guys who know how to box. Of course, I prefer those who can also bang... thus my being a fan of Chocolatito. He beat my local guy recently, but no shame in that as Chocolatito is widely considered (dare I say it.... ) one of the world's top p4p today.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No you didn't. I was giving you shit for saying bigger boxers are better boxers than smaller boxers. I feel that is a totally incorrect blanket statement, but to each his own. I rather enjoy a good boxing match between little guys who know how to box. Of course, I prefer those who can also bang... thus my being a fan of Chocolatito. He beat my local guy recently, but no shame in that as Chocolatito is widely considered (dare I say it.... ) one of the world's top p4p today.
    I think he loses again. 115 is a bridge too far for him. He's only come up in weight to chase the big(ger) money fights that are out there but he hasn't got the KO power he had at lower weights and a massive very physical limited skills superflyweight beat him clearly. And this time will go into the fight knowing he can win and set up another big payday for himself. If Choco manages to beat this guy he definitely deserves his place in the pound for pound rankings.

Ooooooh look at that that we're nearly onto page two.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Choco was unlucky to lose last time, the majority thought he won, he landed something like 200 more punches. I was delighted having flagged up the Thai as a serious threat/bet but surprised he got the decision.

If Choco wins he'll stay P4P no.2 behind Loma.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoy smaller fighters fight

in fact I often prefer it

doesn't mean I think they would beat the bigger fighters, in fact I know they wouldnt
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Thread Information