Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing and the mob

Did anyone catch this last night?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ng-and-the-mob
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing and the mob

Yeah watched it, really good documentary and shows just how involved in Boxing Daniel Kinahan is and has been for years.
    Barry McGuigan was the only one from the boxing world with the balls to speak out against him.
    Very naughty family the Kinahans and they've issued a statement on the back of this documentary trying to clear their name.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...d-23418453.amp

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good lookin! Never heard his name until now.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...rt/ar-BB1dktVb
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Yeah watched it, really good documentary and shows just how involved in Boxing Daniel Kinahan is and has been for years.
    Barry McGuigan was the only one from the boxing world with the balls to speak out against him.
    Very naughty family the Kinahans and they've issued a statement on the back of this documentary trying to clear their name.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...d-23418453.amp
    I haven't watched it yet, but I need to when I get a bit of time on my own when the missus isn't watching Eastenders or Corrie.
    I think the reason McGuigan spoke out was because in his court case with Frampton, I think he alluded to the fact that he feels that the Mob are behind Frampton.
    As much as I am not a fan of McGuigan (I think he's a bit of a Gangster and Bully himself.) it Still takes a big pair of cojones though !
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched it. Had never heard of Kinahan before today and had no idea...

Brave of Barry to speak out.

Was well made though
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched it earlier. Very interesting documentary. I knew most of it, and I stand by what I said, this is a massive problem for Boxing as a sport.
    You can’t be seen to be having people from that background having this much influence on a sport.
    There has to be some sort of strict licence policy in place. You cannot just keep taking the money and brushing things under the carpet.
    You have a guy shot dead at a weigh-in for a championship promotion ffs.
    Now we all know Boxing has always had it's “unsavoury characters” in high places, but this is another fucking level.
    Before we know it, the Sport will be dragged into the gutter.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im gonna watch it when i get the chance
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just got round to watching this myself. I knew pretty much all the things covered in the documentary but it was excellent and very eye opening. I was impressed with McGuigan appearing in it as well and not being coy about how dangerous they are.

It is pretty damning on the sport and those involved, top level promoters who clearly know about the background of Kinahan (it's all out there being reported over years in the media), yet will turn a blind eye for the sake of making money. But as already alluded to in this thread, boxing has never really had much integrity when it comes to morals.

It's also quite surprising to see a poster on here never even heard of Kinahan. Presumably members on this forum are somewhat more than just casual boxing observers and are more ingrained in the sport. So the fact his name escapes some within the boxing circles I guess does show that he is indeed not prominent from the outside looking in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems that the Irish authorities have given warnings to the team behind the documentary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not the Irish authorities but a "criminal gang" who are said to have made threats to the BBC.

Kinahan has released.this statement this morning.

SPEAKING OUT - Daniel Kinahan: Full statement released to talkSPORT from controversial boxing adviser after Panorama investigation

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/831036/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So do we think this has been damaging to the sport? Not sure it really makes much difference.
    While he continues to evade any kind of capture or convictions for gang related crimes, he will continue in his role as "advisor" to the boxers who seem to worship him.
    Things will just continue as they have done for the last several years.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    So do we think this has been damaging to the sport? Not sure it really makes much difference.
    While he continues to evade any kind of capture or convictions for gang related crimes, he will continue in his role as "advisor" to the boxers who seem to worship him.
    BJS is crying he has lost money because of his association with this man.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post

He's had involvement for years now and has probably helped (in some way) to give us some big fights that we maybe wouldn't have seen.
    All he's doing is simply rinsing his dirty Money from his billions of drug money through the sport of boxing.
    It's genius really 😉

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still havent watched it, im gonna put a reminder in my phone for Sunday evening
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The boxer Billy Joe Saunders has challenged a journalist to “write something positive about Daniel Kinahan” in exchange for being granted a face-to-face interview with the suspected Irish crime boss.

Nicola Tallant, who is investigations editor with the Irish Sunday World newspaper, has divulged a series of direct messages sent to her on Twitter by Saunders, in which the WBO super-middleweight title holder asked if she would like to fly to Dubai for a meeting with Kinahan.

Alternatively, Saunders suggested setting up a Zoom call between the reporter and his friend and adviser, even going so far as to offer to “set you up on a date as Valentine’s Day is just around the corner”.

The subject of a recent BBC Panorama investigation entitled Boxing and the Mob, in which Tallant featured as a guest contributor, Kinahan is the founder of the MTK Global boxing management company that includes Saunders and Tyson Fury among a stable of fighters numbering up to 250.

In 2017 it was announced he would be standing down from his role as head of the organisation but he has been named by Fury as being instrumental in brokering a deal to fight Anthony Joshua in an eagerly anticipated world heavyweight unification showdown expected to take place later this year.

Earlier this week, Kinahan released a statement in which he claimed he is “involved in planning multiple record-breaking and exciting world title fights”.

In 2018, Kinahan was named by an Irish High Court judge as the leader of an organised crime group set up by his father Christy Kinahan Sr, which is claimed to be involved in drugs trafficking and weapons smuggling on a global scale. The Dubliner has repeatedly insisted he has no criminal convictions and emphatically denies any involvement in organised crime. Known in Ireland as The Cartel, the Kinahan gang has been linked to 18 gangland murders and is reported to have amassed a fortune worth up to £1bn.

Currently in training for his scheduled world title fight against Saul “Canelo” Álvarez on 8 May, Saunders has been vocal in his support of Kinahan, his friend and adviser, on social media since the Panorama documentary was aired.

In the immediate aftermath of the broadcast he launched what appeared to be extremely personal attacks on Barry McGuigan, one of few people in the boxing business to speak out against Kinahan, and made light of threats made against those involved in the making of the documentary.

Earlier this week, Saunders’ promoter, Eddie Hearn, urged him to quit the platform before he does his career irreparable harm. “I think Billy should just delete social media really. It’s difficult because I think sometimes, and he’s brought a lot of it on himself, he’s portrayed a certain way and that doesn’t help him,” he said. “He also finds it difficult to express his feelings and what he means when he’s trying to justify himself.”

On Sunday afternoon, Saunders sent Tallant a private direct message on Twitter asking if she would like to fly to Dubai and meet Kinahan for an interview. “Would you like to fly over and see Danul [sic] Kinahan face to face interview,” he wrote. “Or I could set you up a zoom call or I could even set you up on a date as Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Serious offer.”

While Tallant declined the opportunity of “flying out to the belly of the beast” for a chat with a man whose associates she says have threatened her in the past, she expressed her interest in a Zoom call instead. She also suggested a podcast interview to be broadcast before anything was written, which would “eliminate the interpretation of the interview”.

The following day, Kinahan sent a written statement to Talksport which was recorded and read out by a member of staff at the radio station. Widely criticised for being self-serving and misleading, Kinahan used it to portray himself as a working class Dubliner done good, reiterated that he was not involved in gangland activities and had never been convicted of any crime. He also insisted he was still a major player in the organisation of major, high-profile boxing bouts.

Soon after the statement was read out on Talksport, Tallant received two more messages from Saunders in which the boxer denied he had mocked Barry McGuigan over the death in 2019 of his daughter Danika and said he could arrange a big “scope” [sic] for the journalist “very easily” if she first wrote “something anything at all positive” about Kinahan.

“I’m not asking you to be his best friend,” he wrote. “But I’m sure you have heard a lot of good about Daniel and it wouldn’t hurt to publish it and if you do I think it’s fair to say you deserve the zoom call and I would love to set it up with you as I think you are a very intelligent woman”.

Tallant replied, politely declining the offer. “I won’t be doing that,” she wrote. “Not interested in being directed. So you have a nice day too.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/rep...080006581.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information