Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbeaten Khan gets Wembley outing

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Unbeaten Khan gets Wembley outing

Amir Khan's next fight will be on the undercard of the Audley Harrison bill at Wembley Arena on 17 February.

full article here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6190413.stm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Unbeaten Khan gets Wembley outing

I have a hard time getting excited about this guy...IMO by this time next year he will fade out...Just IMO though
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he can go along way and do great things in boxing. People right now expect to much from him coz numbnuts warren is letting him get to built up so when he fights a goodfighter and has a hardnight people will jump on his back, rather than a reletivly unknown fighter would get credit for doing so. Hes treated like a star when is a novice.

I think in the ring wie though he is making steady progress,s till a sh*t load to do, but what fighter at the age of 20 with only 10 pro fights was the finished article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    I think he can go along way and do great things in boxing. People right now expect to much from him coz numbnuts warren is letting him get to built up so when he fights a goodfighter and has a hardnight people will jump on his back, rather than a reletivly unknown fighter would get credit for doing so. Hes treated like a star when is a novice.

I think in the ring wie though he is making steady progress,s till a sh*t load to do, but what fighter at the age of 20 with only 10 pro fights was the finished article?

Good point...Warren has a way of stuffing fighters down your throat..Instead of getting the approval he is seeking for them it turns into the opposite

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He needs to fix that wide stance of his
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

stick him in with a puncher with over 50% ko ratio and i'll be happy

i have nothing against Khan but for me he is a novice with a suss chin and seems to be getting more exposure than boxers that have proved alot more like alex aurthur and to me that stinks it makes a sham of the sport the way they are reeling out the stiffs and making it sound like he is a superstar for beating them to the ITV audience who know fuck all about the sport.

but saying that i wish him well and he will make a great WBU champ one day

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know if it it works this way in England, but an Olympic medalist = Instant sell. It's a lot easier to cash in on a young medalist like Kahn who has already been pitched to the audience then it is Arthur. Why wait til Khan is actually a contender to make money off him?

Not ever going to agree with it whole heartedly but that's how it works.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Not ever going to agree with it whole heartedly but that's how it works.
    And thats the whole point there pushing him to a different audience than a boxing fan... you ask these ITV fans who folyd mayweather was and they would just give you a blank stare for about a few minutes before proclaming khan would KO him in one... its just not right mate IMO

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's where I kind of have the problem. See it's fine to push an Olympian who are on some levels national heros, but the media have to keep it in perspective. I'm a HUGE Andre Ward fan, but these Bay Area newspapers are talking about him like he's the second coming of Jesus Christ and the best boxer in the world. Not quite. And it's the media's job more then anyone to keep these people in check, and it's not really happening in boxing because the mainstream media is so out of touch with the sport.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    That's where I kind of have the problem.
    think we see it the same way but aleast the guys there sticking ward in with have some form of KO ratio

i hate the hype around these guys and i think you nailed it with the mainstream media not having a clue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely agree, the media know very little and Joe Public tuning in on ITV to see Amir knows even less but they're still tuning in. It might only be Amir Khan thats grabbed their attention but after watching his fight which usually lasts about 5 minutes they'll hang around and watch the other fights anyway which leads to more exposure for the more deserving fighters. A fighter leagues above Amir still relishes the chance to fight on the same card as this young prospect as they'll share a little of the limelight too. Not really the way things should work but its more exposure for the sport and gets more events televised which can only be a good thing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jelly youre not wrong.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beerjelly
    Completely agree, the media know very little and Joe Public tuning in on ITV to see Amir knows even less but they're still tuning in. It might only be Amir Khan thats grabbed their attention but after watching his fight which usually lasts about 5 minutes they'll hang around and watch the other fights anyway which leads to more exposure for the more deserving fighters. A fighter leagues above Amir still relishes the chance to fight on the same card as this young prospect as they'll share a little of the limelight too. Not really the way things should work but its more exposure for the sport and gets more events televised which can only be a good thing.
    CC. Especially for the last part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I live in the Bay, I haven't heard them talk about Andre Ward in THAT big a fashion

Anyway, I can agree about Khan, but I don't matter the exposure as long as they bring him along like they should a prospect. Remember what Oscar was like when he came out?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    I live in the Bay, I haven't heard them talk about Andre Ward in THAT big a fashion

Anyway, I can agree about Khan, but I don't matter the exposure as long as they bring him along like they should a prospect. Remember what Oscar was like when he came out?
    Where in the Bay?

The week before his last fight he had a huge front page article done on him by Bob Olsey from the Chronicle and...if I didn't know anything about boxing I would think he was a pound for pound champion. Still a great piece though. And I'm sure he had an article in the tribune, he joined Gary Radnich on KRON 4. He had the rockstar treatment.

Thread Information