Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe unloads on Mundine

http://www.sportsnut.com.au/category.php?intid=7]

BOXING'S longest-reigning world champion, Joe Calzaghe, would rather move weight divisions than accept a fight against Anthony Mundine, whom he considers "not a real world champion

No doubt Mundine will now say Joe is dodging him. But Joe is right. Mundine offers him zip.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe unloads on Mundine

This super champion stuff is a load of crap... how many 'champions' can the wba have fighting for them with it?

can only one hold the wba super champion belt and one hold the regular wba belt? or could the fighter who got the hand me down wba belt also become 'super champion' and give his belt away to somebody else? and so forth and so forth? :P

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    This super champion stuff is a load of crap... how many 'champions' can the wba have fighting for them with it?

can only one hold the wba super champion belt and one hold the regular wba belt? or could the fighter who got the hand me down wba belt also become 'super champion' and give his belt away to somebody else? and so forth and so forth? :P
    My guess is that if Mundine fought Kessler and beat him then the two would swap titles, Kessler would become the new WBA world champ and Mundine the new WBA super world champ. If Kessler beat Mundine they would probably both retain their titles making this officially the most farcical fight in the history of boxing

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack

BOXING'S longest-reigning world champion, Joe Calzaghe, would rather move weight divisions than accept a fight against Anthony Mundine, whom he considers "not a real world champion

No doubt Mundine will now say Joe is dodging him. But Joe is right. Mundine offers him zip.
    Kind of ironic how you think that Tarver and Woods would fall over themselves trying to come to the US to fight Green who holds no titles and lost by a landslide to Mundine whilst Calzaghe wouldn't be interested in a fight with Mundine who holds a world title (albiet a ridiculous one) and is generally seen as the number 3 fighter in the division

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting. You see the WBA hand out a 'Super' belt to anyone who has unified in the division to give them more oppertunity to keep both belts and more time to avoid the mandatory. WBA's site says the idea was Lennox Lewis' idea.

You make a good point though. If Mundine were to unify with Berrio, then he'd become a 'Super' Champion and vacate the normal WBA belt. So then the WBA would have 2 super champions, a normal champion, an interim champion, and international champion...I could go on.

My point is...that is F****** stupid.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The right words dont often find their way out of Calzaghes mouth, this time they have. Mundine is a waste of time for Calzaghe and Kessler
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe-Mundine would never happen anyway.

Mundine would have to come to Britain, which means he would want serious dough but he aint worth two bob.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    The right words dont often find their way out of Calzaghes mouth, this time they have. Mundine is a waste of time for Calzaghe and Kessler
    Good point well made, by you and Calzaghe. However, I imagine that chum112 will still, in 20 years time, be sitting at the end of a bar somewhere in Australia muttering into his pint that Calzaghe was a no-good bum who ducked Mundine for years. And he might have something....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dont forget about interims

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This makes perfect sense to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As harsh as JC sounds,it's true. I'm a Mundine fan but he needs to get some bigger fights,make himself more marketable/fight bigger names. He has had his easy fight with Nievas,now let's see a fight with a dangerous opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a different take on this, I'm no Mundine fan but he is No.3 in the rankings and both Calzaghe and Kessler should pull their heads in and not get ahead of themselves with talk of huge fights in America.
    Neither of these guys have seen fit to seek fights in the US before so why should they be granted that opportunity now and against who? A mid 40 year old Hopkins ? Come on, stop yanking my chain i do a perfectly good job of doing that myself.
    If Mundine keeps winning and is ranked as the next best contender then Calzaghe or Kessler can shut him up and put him out of the picture by taking the fight.
    Kessler had trouble with Mundine, i had it 115-113 for Kessler so that's close. Forget that idiot who had it a shut out it, i was there too! What i saw was a frustrated Kessler who did well to win and did win but Mundine gave him fits.
    I don't think Mundine can beat Calzaghe or Kessler again but if he deserves the shot then he should get it!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    As harsh as JC sounds,it's true. I'm a Mundine fan but he needs to get some bigger fights,make himself more marketable/fight bigger names. He has had his easy fight with Nievas,now let's see a fight with a dangerous opponent.
    Well he dominated Danny Green and KTFO Sam Soliman so I'd say he's on a roll.

He's definitely number 3 in the division right now.

He's the kind of fighter that Joe and all the other champions would want to avoid. Went the distance with Kessler whilst still a relative notive.

He's much better now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack

Kind of ironic how you think that Tarver and Woods would fall over themselves trying to come to the US to fight Green who holds no titles and lost by a landslide to Mundine whilst Calzaghe wouldn't be interested in a fight with Mundine who holds a world title (albiet a ridiculous one) and is generally seen as the number 3 fighter in the division
    the belt mundine holds is fucking bullshit and asfar as i am conerserneced he should feel fucking discared looking him self in te mirror with that belt...

Kessler beat him for the wba..

when kessler took the wbc he became the wba super champ

ie it meant the wba could have 2 belts and 2 munies.. mundie holds the inter contenetal bullshit worthless belt untill he wins the super berlt.. i hate the super belt idea... but whislt its here the "regulrar" belt is sumin i wudnt wipe my ass with... munsdine (after joe beates kessler) is 100% worthless to calzaghe...

Thread Information