Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward/Kovalev 2...who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Butterbean #TBE #GOAT #beatsfuckoutoffmayweather #underrated

Exactly. If Butterball beats the f*ck out of Mayweather, it's because he's the better boxer.

"The better boxers in the world are the bigger boxers." ~ Erics44
    This thread has been fun

you haven't really contributed very much tho, next time we have a debate can you try and put view points together and construct arguments rather than just posting pictures and repeating opinions you don't agree with please

makes the forum debate a bit more enjoyable
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    @Fenster usually the bigger fighter is the better fighter, and no we don't know if Floyd could beat wlad, just like we don't know if mcgreggor could beat Floyd

but not knowing isn't the same as Floyd or ward or whoever being put as the best fighter in the world when then most likely situation is that they aren't and not by a long way

@Primo Carnera do I fuck
    Ok , just curious. Because apart from the safety aspect (which admittedly is a huge priority) if the big guys generally are the best, they should be able to prove that by beating all
    comers, thus generating the income that they deserve for being the best, no?
    are you asking if the bigger men deserve more money?

I definitely look forward to a good HW fight more than I do any other weight, I am more willing to part with my money, although those are general statements, there are a lot of aspects to consider

I'm not sure if everyone else feels the same way, although top HWs in the past probably earn more in general

and I think in history the HW division is the most fondly remembered, and rightly so

but again it tends to be where the Americans are, particularly for us English speakers
    In answer to the question in the first sentence, the answer is no.
    But I believe the best should earn the most. I know that's a bit idealistic and things like watchability come into it.
    But going on that basis and using your theory, Dillian Whyte should conceivably earn more than Mayweather, Because he could probably beat him in a fight .
    Would you venture an opinion on that please?

But I believe the best should earn the most. the best lb4lb or the best?

Do the best earn more? well In general, over history, the heavies earn more than the lower weights for what ever reason

but the earning power of fighters is dependent on a lot more than their weight

Comparing whyte to mayweather tho, ive not watched a mayweather fight since OLH and enjoyed it, in fact I don't think ive sat one out since hatton

id gladly pay more to watch whyte than mayweather for entertainment value

and mayweather was in the right place at the right time, yeah he sells himself in a way that attracts audiences, but he was the only elite American at the time and his fighting style and weight was almost irrelevant
    At what point was Floyd the only elite American?

Roy Jones lost to Tarver in 2004, Ward started in 2004. Seems like elite->elite overlapping Floyd. Plus you can throw in Sweet Pea, Hop, ODLH, Mosley, Evan Fields etcetera.

Only Elite American sounds like one of those things people want to say enough that maybe people will believe it. Like those that make the argument American boxing is down now, I hope you aren't one of those sad fellas that is ignoring how the USA is crushing 2017 with fingers in ears, eyes closed saying nananana America is down don't turn on the tele nananana America is down.

(Now I get called an a..hole regularly around here so I will point out dramatic effect has been added. I mean no insult to those that choose to lie to themselves. It is their right to imagine whatever nonsense they choose. If you look for the humor in this comment you will see it.)

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly. If Butterball beats the f*ck out of Mayweather, it's because he's the better boxer.

This thread has been fun

you haven't really contributed very much tho, next time we have a debate can you try and put view points together and construct arguments rather than just posting pictures and repeating opinions you don't agree with please

I hate to break this to you, but I'm not really debating you.
    I'm actually poking fun at one of the most asinine boxing comments I've ever heard on here.

But you just carry on.
    I can't wait for the next nugget of wisdom to come from your keyboard.

Book on famous inspirational quotes: $10

Motivational speaker fee: $1,000

"The better boxers in the world are the bigger boxers." ~ Erics44: Priceless

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This thread has been fun

I'm actually poking fun at one of the most asinine boxing comments I've ever heard on here.

But you just carry on.

there you go again

no construct

have a go at disproving it, I dare you

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    @Fenster usually the bigger fighter is the better fighter, and no we don't know if Floyd could beat wlad, just like we don't know if mcgreggor could beat Floyd

but not knowing isn't the same as Floyd or ward or whoever being put as the best fighter in the world when then most likely situation is that they aren't and not by a long way

@Primo Carnera do I fuck
    Ok , just curious. Because apart from the safety aspect (which admittedly is a huge priority) if the big guys generally are the best, they should be able to prove that by beating all

I definitely look forward to a good HW fight more than I do any other weight, I am more willing to part with my money, although those are general statements, there are a lot of aspects to consider

I'm not sure if everyone else feels the same way, although top HWs in the past probably earn more in general

and I think in history the HW division is the most fondly remembered, and rightly so

but again it tends to be where the Americans are, particularly for us English speakers
    But I believe the best should earn the most. I know that's a bit idealistic and things like watchability come into it.
    But going on that basis and using your theory, Dillian Whyte should conceivably earn more than Mayweather, Because he could probably beat him in a fight .

Do the best earn more? well In general, over history, the heavies earn more than the lower weights for what ever reason

Comparing whyte to mayweather tho, ive not watched a mayweather fight since OLH and enjoyed it, in fact I don't think ive sat one out since hatton

and mayweather was in the right place at the right time, yeah he sells himself in a way that attracts audiences, but he was the only elite American at the time and his fighting style and weight was almost irrelevant

Roy Jones lost to Tarver in 2004, Ward started in 2004. Seems like elite->elite overlapping Floyd. Plus you can throw in Sweet Pea, Hop, ODLH, Mosley, Evan Fields etcetera.

Only Elite American sounds like one of those things people want to say enough that maybe people will believe it. Like those that make the argument American boxing is down now, I hope you aren't one of those sad fellas that is ignoring how the USA is crushing 2017 with fingers in ears, eyes closed saying nananana America is down don't turn on the tele nananana America is down.

(Now I get called an a..hole regularly around here so I will point out dramatic effect has been added. I mean no insult to those that choose to lie to themselves. It is their right to imagine whatever nonsense they choose. If you look for the humor in this comment you will see it.)
    Roy Jones, Tarver, Sweat Pea, OLDH, Mosley all peaked a few years back, in the last 3 or 4 or 5 you couldn't count them as the elite

the only one who you could say was still winning at the very top was Hop

you could include ward but he was very inactive (as well as not really having the personality appeal)

Thurman, Garcia ?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Primo Carnera do I fuck

Roy Jones, Tarver, Sweat Pea, OLDH, Mosley all peaked a few years back, in the last 3 or 4 or 5 you couldn't count them as the elite

you could include ward but he was very inactive (as well as not really having the personality appeal)

Thurman, Garcia ?
    This is a common form of argument where people keep adding qualifiers upon qualifiers to narrow scope. Either Ward was elite or he wasn't. You want a smaller net, I suggest we need a larger net. Multi division champions must be elite right? At least if they actually beat top guys(so not Broner) Surely we can agree on this? I mean if we are to consider Kell Brook elite we absolutely must consider Terence Crawford elite.

To go farther and take personal bias out of the equation. While I consider boxrecs P4P list a joke it deals in a formula that only considers what you've done, the wins and losses and their quality. It has like 5-7 Americans (I forget, I'll check) in their top 10. That seems a decent number for 1 country.

Edit-okay, I checked and they only have 3 Americans but still that is a decent number for 1 country. Man that list is awful.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 07-08-2017 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Primo Carnera do I fuck

Thurman, Garcia ?
    This is a common form of argument where people keep adding qualifiers upon qualifiers to narrow scope. Either Ward was elite or he wasn't. You want a smaller net, I suggest we need a larger net. Multi division champions must be elite right? At least if they actually beat top guys(so not Broner) Surely we can agree on this? I mean if we are to consider Kell Brook elite we absolutely must consider Terence Crawford elite.

To go farther and take personal bias out of the equation. While I consider boxrecs P4P list a joke it deals in a formula that only considers what you've done, the wins and losses and their quality. It has like 5-7 Americans (I forget, I'll check) in their top 10. That seems a decent number for 1 country.

Edit-okay, I checked and they only have 3 Americans but still that is a decent number for 1 country. Man that list is awful.
    ha! priceless! use a list to prove your point and then say the list is Shit!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Primo Carnera do I fuck

Thurman, Garcia ?

ha! priceless! use a list to prove your point and then say the list is Shit!
    To be fair I said the list was "a joke" before I used it

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This thread has been fun

But you just carry on.

there you go again

no construct

have a go at disproving it, I dare you

Sometimes a get a little bored and have time on my hands, so I've decided to take you on as my pet project.

Your quote is: "The better boxers in the world are the bigger boxers"

Ok, so let's define a good boxer, shall we?

I went a bit elementary, and got the following quote from wikiHow... I hope you don't mind.

"Do you want to become a good boxer? Boxers must have a combination of endurance, strength, agility, and speed to excel. Becoming a good boxer requires dedication and hard work. You can train on your own, but joining a gym and training with other boxers can take your skills to the next level."

Ok so let's take those characteristics one by one, shall we?

Endurance - Do bigger boxers have more endurance than smaller boxers? Depends. But a lot of the times.... no. Endurance is "size-independent", but for the most part it's the little guys who can run on and on like bunnies with Everready batteries in them. So scratch one characteristic.

Strength - Hey... you'll like this one huh? Bigger guys are by and large stronger than smaller guys. Yet... they face others at the same weight classifications. Strength then becomes relative within your own weight division. But just to show I'm willing to go the extra mile for you, I'll give you that one.

Agility - Oops. Another black mark for the big guys, huh? Too bad. You were probably still celebrating getting "strength." I'm assuming you'll agree with most of the civilized world that smaller boxers are normally more agile than the big lumbering heavyweights.

Speed - Wow... now you really hit the skids. Speed is the quintessential characteristic of the little guy, wouldn't you say?

Then the quote goes on to mention dedication and hard work, which of course is a wash because those are common (or not) to all sizes of boxers.

Ok, Lesson 2. I went to another article on characteristics of being a good/great boxer. This one from Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-a-great-boxer

Let's look at what they have to say, shall we?

Quickness - Damn. Not doing very well here, are you. Unless of course you want to claim that the bigger guys are quicker than the little guys. I didn't think so.

Accuracy - This one is not size-dependent either..... but I've seen way too many heavyweights depending on wild bombs to end fights with one punch. That does little for punch accuracy. Most of the most accurate punchers I've seen in my lifetime have been weights other than heavyweight.

Power - Ahhh... again you can rejoice. One for the big guys. But again... power is relative to each weight division. But for the sake of argument, we'll give that one to you, ok?

Still with me, right Eric?

Defense - Again... not size-dependent. But most of the defensive geniuses in the history of boxing have been at the lower weights. Pernell Whitaker, Wilfredo Benitez..... etc, etc.

Conditioning - Damn Eric.... foiled again. Big guys are built for the short haul. They're not looking to go 12 rounds and when they do, they're usually spent by that time. Little guys by and large have the better conditioning.

Discipline, guts and intelligence I'll lump all together and put them with dedication and hard work. They're not size-dependent.

Why have I gone out of my way to say all this to you, Eric? Because I like charity cases. I refuse to let ignorance go on uncorrected. It's the nice guy in me. No need to thank me now. I know you'll do so eventually.

You see.... if you had said: "The bigger boxers will always beat the smaller boxers." That would've been more passable, and would lend itself to a debate. Doesn't mean you'd be right.... but at least we'd have an intelligent debate.

You're problem is your definition of a good boxer. I've already shown you what the entire world considers to be a good boxer. Being a good boxer has nothing to do with size.

No charge for any of this, by the way.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you kind of miss the point @TitoFan don't you?

you could have all the endurance in the world, be the fastest boxer, be agile as you like, be as strong as an ox, as powerful as a steam train, a superb defence, ring IQ of a god, and the best conditioning you can get

but if you would lose to an opponent then that opponent is the better boxer

lb4lb best is not the same as the best

Mayweather was/is lb4lb the best, something to be admired and despite all of his nobness you have you give him huge credit and accolade for what he achieved, and just how good he was in comparison to fighters in and around his weight

he was never the best tho, not even close

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you could have all the endurance in the world, be the fastest boxer, be agile as you like, be as strong as an ox, as powerful as a steam train, a superb defence, ring IQ of a god, and the best conditioning you can get

Mayweather was/is lb4lb the best, something to be admired and despite all of his nobness you have you give him huge credit and accolade for what he achieved, and just how good he was in comparison to fighters in and around his weight

No Eric. It is you that misses the point.

Your quote was "the better boxers in the world are the bigger boxers".

In plain English: Being a good boxer is a matter of skill, and all the characteristics I listed above which you've obviously ignored. But put a good boxer against a much bigger, stronger man..... even if this man has inferior boxing skills..... and the bigger man will more than likely win. That does not make him a better boxer, only a bigger, stronger one.

I'm sorry this isn't getting through to you. I've made a herculean effort trying to get you to understand.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In plain English: Being a good boxer is a matter of skill, and all the characteristics I listed above which you've obviously ignored. But put a good boxer against a much bigger, stronger man..... even if this man has inferior boxing skills..... and the bigger man will more than likely win. That does not make him a better boxer, only a bigger, stronger one.

I'm sorry this isn't getting through to you. I've made a herculean effort trying to get you to understand.
    nah I stated early on (and several times after) I meant "better boxer" in terms of who would win and who would lose and not in terms of skill

1 nil Eric

so we are cool with the bigger fellas being the better now?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nah I stated early on (and several times after) I meant "better boxer" in terms of who would win and who would lose and not in terms of skill

1 nil Eric

so we are cool with the bigger fellas being the better now?

Then you're misusing the term "better boxer" and could've worded it correctly. Can't help you there.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ would beat mayweather

AJ is better at boxing, he is a better boxer

how do you want me to term it?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ is not better at boxing. AJ is much bigger and stronger than Mayweather.

But I'll tell you what.

Let's just wrap a big "F*ck It" bow around the whole thing and let it die.

No sense in continuing a fruitless argument.

Thread Information