Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default British Boxing announces January shutdown

British Boxing Board of Control announces January shutdown

The organisation which oversees professional boxing in Britain has announced a shutdown of all events under its auspices this month because of the rise in coronavirus cases in the UK.

A number of fights – including Josh Kelly’s bout against David Avanesyan for the European welterweight title on January 30 – face being postponed following the British Boxing Board of Control’s order.

BBBofC general secretary Robert Smith said: “Following the increase in Covid-19 cases in the United Kingdom and the effects such increases has on the NHS and the work of the board medical officers, it has been decided that no tournaments under the jurisdiction of the British Boxing Board of Control will take place in January 2021.

“A further review by the board’s medical panel and stewards will take place later in January in relation to tournaments from February onwards.”

The onset of the pandemic led to boxing being suspended from last March until July, and most events since then have taken place behind closed doors.

Anthony Joshua’s successful defence of his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles at the SSE Arena, Wembley, was held in front of 1,000 spectators last month after the UK Government relaxing lockdown restrictions in London.

However, the emergence of a new strain of coronavirus in the UK has seen a rapid elevation in case numbers, with a further 57,725 reported on Saturday.

The BBBofC indicated amid the first nationwide lockdown that it was wary of overburdening the NHS at a time when emergency services were under immense pressure.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bri...124425949.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: British Boxing announces January shutdown

every 50 to 100 years there's a major issue we have to ride out. This appears to be ours. In America the NFL not boxing seems to be carrying the burden the most as Cleveland Browns, Titans & Eagles' coach tested positive and the Browns have several. that were positive

A guy I worked with covers high school sports for his town newspaper stated it ravaged 3 sports he once covered. All scaling back events from football to wrestling, forgot the other...
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunate, but it needs to be done.
    We need to just ride these things out until the vaccination program is rolled out and the virus is kerbed somewhat and things can start to return to normality!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British boxing is set to resume in mid-February after being suspended at the start of the year.

All professional bouts scheduled for January were cancelled by the British Boxing Board of Control because of a national increase in coronavirus cases.

In a statement on Monday, it said: "The British Boxing Board of Control will be resuming boxing tournaments under its jurisdiction in the middle of February.

"Dates and venues to be confirmed in due course."

The suspension was announced on 3 January. Two days later, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a new lockdown in England, although elite sport has been allowed to continue.

Fights called off in January included Scot Lee McGregor's European bantamweight title fight against Frenchman Karim Guerfi, and English welterweight Josh Kelly's European title fight with Russian David Avanesyan.

Promoter Eddie Hearn tweeted: "Great news! We will be announcing 5 UK shows this week, can't wait to get started."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55621046
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what has changed to make them think Boxing should resume?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearns making a big announcement at 6pm this Friday, basically announcing the revised schedule.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Eddie Hearns making a big announcement at 6pm this Friday, basically announcing the revised schedule.
    I saw him in an interview the other day , and you could tell Boxing would be back in Feb. I don’t want to be a killjoy, especially on a Boxing fans forum, but I don’t see what has changed since they announced that Boxing would be suspended in January ??
    As much as I miss Boxing, I really don’t see how it can happen how things are at the moment.
    In the next couple of weeks, hospitals will be at breaking point, and a show , complete with Doctors in attendance and Ambulances at the ready really doesn’t sit right when you hear of Ambulances queuing for 9 hours to get into hospitals.
    I’m no doubt gonna piss some people off, but I’m just being honest and realistic. Sorry, not sorry.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only way round it would be to have private paramedics and a makeshift operating theatre with neuro surgeons at the actual venue.
    Totally agree that to use NHS staff is a massive no no.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Only way round it would be to have private paramedics and a makeshift operating theatre with neuro surgeons at the actual venue.
    Totally agree that to use NHS staff is a massive no no.
    i hear what you're saying, and i don't want to get too political on the Boxing pages , but I think that also gives the signal of finance over health, which is what this Country has been accused of from the start of this. And believe me, it's not just Boxing I'm talking about. To be playing Football and Rugby in these times is absolutely ridiculous IMHO.
    The Private sector should be aiding the NHS. I really think our mindset should be of being at War and we all pull together for the greater good. Perhaps we might have got through it then.
    Again, apologies for dragging the Boxing forum down.

Thread Information