Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Note well: Defensive punchers are the ones with less brain damage!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Note well: Defensive punchers are the ones with less brain damage!

Everyone wants a warrior in the ring, but my eye test is showing me that the defensive punchers- The guys who end fights quickly and decisively with power or guys who slip punches the most are the healthiest post their career.

Take a look at Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis v Frank Bruno and Riddick Bowe. The two latter are clearly beyond help while the former are still in their right minds. Same thing for Floyd Mayweather vs other people in his generation, albeit from Mayweather's generation to now have been a bit better with their technique, skill and overall care with their health.

Rule for upcoming fighters: Defense and learn to punch!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Note well: Defensive punchers are the ones with less brain damage!

Not sure exactly what you are implying?

Bruno and Bowe would be classed as power punchers that ended fights quickly, but Bowe certainly shown signs of being “punch drunk”. Bruno may have other mental health issues rather than taking too many punches.

There are many other factors for Boxers showing brain damage other than their boxing style such as number of hard fights, genetics, skill, reflexes, luck, etc

There have been great defensive boxers from the past such as Benny Leonard and Willie Pep so better techniques have always existed and are not new.

Sweet Pea Whitaker and James Toney were great defensive boxers but they showed slurred speech.

In other words you need to take eye test.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's not forget "The Radar of St. Just", the great Wilfredo Benitez. Rarely has there ever been such a defensive talent... and yet he totally went down the sad brain damage path. But in this case I think he just held on too long... and got battered in his last few fights. However, a great many fighters have gotten battered much worse and for much longer, and haven't come out the worse for wear. Yes... genetics I think is a major factor, @Master.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fuck yall!

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    fuck yall!
    Point well made and you have convinced me that I am wrong.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fuck yall!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    fuck yall!
    lol...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Not sure exactly what you are implying?

Bruno and Bowe would be classed as power punchers that ended fights quickly, but Bowe certainly shown signs of being “punch drunk”. Bruno may have other mental health issues rather than taking too many punches.

There are many other factors for Boxers showing brain damage other than their boxing style such as number of hard fights, genetics, skill, reflexes, luck, etc

There have been great defensive boxers from the past such as Benny Leonard and Willie Pep so better techniques have always existed and are not new.

Sweet Pea Whitaker and James Toney were great defensive boxers but they showed slurred speech.

In other words you need to take eye test.
    Toney immediately popped into my head when I read the title of the thread. I feel like Sweet Pea was more of a substance abuse issue. Benitez was mentioned in another thread and I think that he is another great example of defensive fighters differing brain damage. Tommy Hearns also shows signs of damage and slurred speech. I feel like sparring plays a big role, as all of those guys did a ton of sparring in training (it is said that sparring was the only thing Toney wanted to do while preparing for a fight). It is interesting that Randal Tex Cobb, Jake Lamotta, and Julio Cesar Chavez never really showed similar effects from the huge punches they took.

Thread Information