Default Re: Floyd's resume.

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    I'm not shitting on the win, just stating that for someone who claims to be the best ever his record is lacking when he came back he never fought the best fighter in his division (Pacquiao) OK so we give him another warm-up fight because he fought Mosley next, but then followed with Ortiz, Cotto and Guerrero

What everyone is saying that Floyd is a fantastic fighter but he needed certain fights to make him an all time great
    He is an all time great but he is lacking the fights to make himself the greatest or near the greatest.
    I don't consider him an all time great
    Well your just a hater then because he clearly is
    Label me what you like son I always thought you were better than that but Floyd is CLEARLY not an all time great or we wouldn't be having this debate
    Name 10 ATGs
    In no particular order:

Robinson
    Armstrong
    Ali
    Greb
    Pep
    J. Wild
    Duran
    J. Johnson
    J. Louis
    B. Leonard
    B. Ross

Pep lost to a lot of fighters that were not as good as Floyds opposition. I also dont like to include fighters with Little to no footage so I would have Harry Greb on an ATG list, although he may very well deserve to be. Joe Louis fought a lot of bums and the only difference between him and floyd is fight numbers. Ray Robinson is the greatest ever in my opinion but I could not see Floyd losing to Jake La Motta. Johnson again as no footage I cant say but his record is nothing impressive. It would appear that you consider fighters from nowadays to be shit and are just including champions of old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not shitting on the win, just stating that for someone who claims to be the best ever his record is lacking when he came back he never fought the best fighter in his division (Pacquiao) OK so we give him another warm-up fight because he fought Mosley next, but then followed with Ortiz, Cotto and Guerrero

What everyone is saying that Floyd is a fantastic fighter but he needed certain fights to make him an all time great
    He is an all time great but he is lacking the fights to make himself the greatest or near the greatest.
    I don't consider him an all time great
    Well your just a hater then because he clearly is
    Label me what you like son I always thought you were better than that but Floyd is CLEARLY not an all time great or we wouldn't be having this debate
    Name 10 ATGs
    In no particular order:

Robinson
    Armstrong
    Ali
    Greb
    Pep
    J. Wild
    Duran
    J. Johnson
    J. Louis
    B. Leonard
    B. Ross

Pep lost to a lot of fighters that were not as good as Floyds opposition. I also dont like to include fighters with Little to no footage so I would have Harry Greb on an ATG list, although he may very well deserve to be. Joe Louis fought a lot of bums and the only difference between him and floyd is fight numbers. Ray Robinson is the greatest ever in my opinion but I could not see Floyd losing to Jake La Motta. Johnson again as no footage I cant say but his record is nothing impressive. It would appear that you consider fighters from nowadays to be shit and are just including champions of old.
    You said name 10, nothing else about footage or whatnot where does it imply that I think fighters from nowadays are sh-t the funny thing is I haven't even mentioned guys like - R. Leonard, Hagler, Sanchez, Whitaker, Marciano, Charles, Moore, Saddler, Jofre, Arguello, Holyfield, Ike Williams, Gavilian, Chavez
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just thought it strange you not include one fighter from the last 30 years on your list of 10, which made me think you dont rate this generation. I may have been wrong

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just thought it strange you not include one fighter from the last 30 years on your list of 10, which made me think you dont rate this generation. I may have been wrong
    Your a good dude Silkey and I'm enjoying the debate I think Floyd could have beaten almost anyone put in front of him in this era unfortunately he never fought these fights

I would have liked to have seen Floyd clean out 130 against Casamayor and Frietas fights with Spadafora and Dorin (over Ndou and Sosa) Tszyu at 140 then Hatton instead of moving to 147 for Mitchell challenging Spinks for the championship and avoiding the whole necessity for the Baldomir-Judah situation after De La Hoya I would have like him to face Williams or Cotto but he retired when there were still challenges awaiting him (not forced like Leonard with his eyes or Ali with the courts) when he returned he did't fight the best (Pacquiao) like Leonard did against Hagler at middleweight btw

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your a good dude Silkey and I'm enjoying the debate I think Floyd could have beaten almost anyone put in front of him in this era unfortunately he never fought these fights

I would have liked to have seen Floyd clean out 130 against Casamayor and Frietas fights with Spadafora and Dorin (over Ndou and Sosa) Tszyu at 140 then Hatton instead of moving to 147 for Mitchell challenging Spinks for the championship and avoiding the whole necessity for the Baldomir-Judah situation after De La Hoya I would have like him to face Williams or Cotto but he retired when there were still challenges awaiting him (not forced like Leonard with his eyes or Ali with the courts) when he returned he did't fight the best (Pacquiao) like Leonard did against Hagler at middleweight btw
    casamayor and frietes never wanted any...nor did Tszyu.

Zoo said he'd fight the best...then chose Hatton

Cotto not once tried to get Floyd in the ring back then...he just admitted it before their fight.

"Arum not once mentioned fighting Mayweather"

Cotto said himself he NEVER asked or pushed for the fight.

Williams...lol....never had anything Floyd wanted..if he did he would have easilly taken it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jahmez View Post
    Floyd's fans can argue as much as they want but the fact that there is an eternal debate over his record alone speaks volumes.

the only volumes it speaks is that he is the best and people are always going to try and disprove that

don't try and put some deep psycological nonsense on the fact that floyds RECORD being constantly debated proves he isn't that good
    Take it however you want but there really isn't anything psychological about it. People constantly criticize his record because there's reason to. Don't know why you think that means they believe he isn't that good either. If anything its the other way around. Floyd frustrates a lot of people because of how good he actually is yet how unwilling he seems to be towards wanting to raise the stakes and put it on the line. That's why he doesn't get a "fair shake" and cries that no one appreciates him.

so are you saying it is constantly debated coz its so good?
    No because he is so good yet the whole 0 and "Money" bullshit seems to hold him back from wanting to achieve even more by taking more risks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post

Cotto not once tried to get Floyd in the ring back then...he just admitted it before their fight.

Williams...lol....never had anything Floyd wanted..if he did he would have easilly taken it.
    Floyd conveniently fought Corley, Bruseles and then Gatti nice work on targeting the champ

Williams had defeated Margarito when Floyd chose to fight Baldomir instead Cotto was number 1 and Williams number 2

Like I said earlier Floyd never fought these fights so he can't get credit for them. I agree he would have beaten these guys but actually doing and saying are two totally different things

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd's fans can argue as much as they want but the fact that there is an eternal debate over his record alone speaks volumes.

the only volumes it speaks is that he is the best and people are always going to try and disprove that

don't try and put some deep psycological nonsense on the fact that floyds RECORD being constantly debated proves he isn't that good
    Take it however you want but there really isn't anything psychological about it. People constantly criticize his record because there's reason to. Don't know why you think that means they believe he isn't that good either. If anything its the other way around. Floyd frustrates a lot of people because of how good he actually is yet how unwilling he seems to be towards wanting to raise the stakes and put it on the line. That's why he doesn't get a "fair shake" and cries that no one appreciates him.

No because he is so good yet the whole 0 and "Money" bullshit seems to hold him back from wanting to achieve even more by taking more risks.

not think fighting canelo was a risk?

who would you think he should fight that would be a risk?

(apart from many)
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(apart from many)
    After the Trout fight when everybody saw how badly Canelo needed to be set in order to punch most people on this forum including myself pretty much wrote him off vs Floyd. The Manny fight loses more lustre every year that goes by and because of styles that hurts Manny more - hats off to Floyd. I'd like to see Floyd at least let Maidana use whatever gloves he wants instead of acting like a demanding tranny. Then I'd like to see him fight GGG and Quillin.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(apart from many)
    After the Trout fight when everybody saw how badly Canelo needed to be set in order to punch most people on this forum including myself pretty much wrote him off vs Floyd. The Manny fight loses more lustre every year that goes by and because of styles that hurts Manny more - hats off to Floyd. I'd like to see Floyd at least let Maidana use whatever gloves he wants instead of acting like a demanding tranny. Then I'd like to see him fight GGG and Quillin.

fighting GGG an quillin would certainly show he has the balls

don't you think that's being a bit unreasonable? he has come up from the lower weights hasn't he?

who should he have fought (within reason) when he fought canelo?

he will make it easy against maidana next time
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(apart from many)
    Qullian and GG are middleweights.

GG has fought enough smaller fighters...it's time for old dude to take some risks..

He won his vacant title from a shot 154lber.

If Mayweather is required to fight MW's then GG and Quilla should fight some light heavies.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd conveniently fought Corley, Bruseles and then Gatti nice work on targeting the champ

Williams had defeated Margarito when Floyd chose to fight Baldomir instead Cotto was number 1 and Williams number 2

Like I said earlier Floyd never fought these fights so he can't get credit for them. I agree he would have beaten these guys but actually doing and saying are two totally different things
    Williams nowhere on the scene when Floyd fought Baldomir...fool.

Cotto and Arum didn't want Mayweather...stumpy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams nowhere on the scene when Floyd fought Baldomir...fool.

Cotto and Arum didn't want Mayweather...stumpy.
    So Mayweather wasn't offered the fight with Margarito? For 8m but chose to fight Baldomir instead leading to Williams-Margarito.

Mayweather avoided Cotto and signed for a pointless rematch with De La Hoya

Another guy who hasn't been mentioned is Wright. Apparently Floyd pulled out at the last minute

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Mayweather wasn't offered the fight with Margarito? For 8m but chose to fight Baldomir instead leading to Williams-Margarito.

Another guy who hasn't been mentioned is Wright. Apparently Floyd pulled out at the last minute
    Winky Wright? That's news to me.

There's a bit more to the Margarito thing than people bring up.

Anyone who remembers or can be bothered to do research would know that Arum set the Marg/Mayweather fight for August, no if's, and's or but's. It was August 12th, or it was nothing. The date was set in stone, Arum just needed to build a fight card for it.

Floyd had injured his right hand fighting Zab Judah in April and told Arum that there was no way he could be ready to fight by August. Arum, who already had that date booked for a card, said "ok then", used the date to stage the Maskaev/Rahman rematch, and Margarito signed on to fight Clottey later in the year. So Floyd never turned down Margarito, he turned down the date. And it's not like he turned down Margarito then fought someone else in that time period: he didn't fight Baldomir until November. So AT LEAST get your facts straight.

That's also the time that Mayweather bought out his contract from Arum. Floyd wanted the Cotto and Hatton fights at that time, but he wanted a guarenteed 10 million purse, whereas Arum would only give him 7 million. Also, Arum wasn't interested in making the PBF/DLH showdown. So Floyd bought out his contract, took the fight with Baldomir and waited for the DLH showdown that made him a ton of money and pushed him over the edge as a mainstream star.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Winky Wright? That's news to me.

There's a bit more to the Margarito thing than people bring up.

Anyone who remembers or can be bothered to do research would know that Arum set the Marg/Mayweather fight for August, no if's, and's or but's. It was August 12th, or it was nothing. The date was set in stone, Arum just needed to build a fight card for it.

Floyd had injured his right hand fighting Zab Judah in April and told Arum that there was no way he could be ready to fight by August. Arum, who already had that date booked for a card, said "ok then", used the date to stage the Maskaev/Rahman rematch, and Margarito signed on to fight Clottey later in the year. So Floyd never turned down Margarito, he turned down the date. And it's not like he turned down Margarito then fought someone else in that time period: he didn't fight Baldomir until November. So AT LEAST get your facts straight.

That's also the time that Mayweather bought out his contract from Arum. Floyd wanted the Cotto and Hatton fights at that time, but he wanted a guarenteed 10 million purse, whereas Arum would only give him 7 million. Also, Arum wasn't interested in making the PBF/DLH showdown. So Floyd bought out his contract, took the fight with Baldomir and waited for the DLH showdown that made him a ton of money and pushed him over the edge as a mainstream star.
    My facts are straight son spin it how you want. Floyd was injured or whatever and brought out his contract. I've never said once on this thread that Floyd ducked anyone all most posters are saying is that there are fights that he needed to have that would have increased his legacy and his claims as TBE

The fact is he never fought Margarito I know Floyd probably didn't want to work with Arum but what better way to get one up than to beat his guys

As for the Wright fight:

Sports: Wright-Mayweather bout is off as talks break down

Thread Information