Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Promoter's in cases ruined boxing of late but HBO Showtime Sky all are to blame as well.
    The fighters are tied to watertight contracts by the above,! we have to face it it's extremely rare the best of the best face each other.
    I wouldn't say that was the case with all boxers and all promoters. I dont think its as rare as you say. We do have quite a few fights in various divisions where the fight the fans want to see. Look at Frampton's last matchups.

No messing around with this guy either

Last edited by KickMuck; 08-28-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see I'm in the minority here.
    @J_Undisputed. Internet IMO waters boxing down all the more.

Sites like Boxrec has a great database that verifies it.
    Boxrec one night of boxing. .and it will list 10-20 fight cards globally on any given night.
    The internet could broadcast some, but rights would still be argued by whom? The promoters of those cards.

Ever use allthebestfight.com? Good stuff, but a lot of fights they say....can't play do to rights of promoters.

@Spicoli PPV IMO doesn't help\hurt boxing. As what % of boxers headline these?
    Of thousands of boxers active only a few hundred are known globally, disagree?
    And out of those hundreds, how many today headline PPV? I guess oh, 20 fighters during any era? And the undercard fighters have little impact.

Radio under TeX Rickard & Closed Circuit under Don King introduced fans that boxing never had.
    Previous to TeX only men in America knew of boxing. With radio, kids family assembled by that talk box and listened to a new sport. Promoters didn't even think like that back then.....TeX was on some deep shit.
    He got something involved called sponsors. The men's shaving product called Gillette....were of the first..
    Gillette's Friday night boxing...easy to get the best fights....because there was no competition.
    Whereas internet is just another means for promoters...leaving fans to waddle through the mess of promoters that's no more united with the world wide web.

Without a governing body, boxing will always be this way. Not a fact, just IMO.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Promoter wise there are good and bad, as always historically, the problem is that boxing is not an attractive professional sport. Its not attractive because young lads get signed up with nothing like the guaranteed earnings they could get in other sports, its all hit and miss on ticket sales, media popularity, promoters ability(ha ha) etc. With other sports from golf to soccer to football to basketball its different, that's why kids are not choosing boxing.
    Having stated the problem, I'm buggered if I know what the answer is.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Valid points.

Especially for team sports.
    Be it soccer in the U.K, basketball in the states, the home city has an unspoken allegiance to their (home) team whereas boxing the fighter has to build a fanbase.

I remember listening to Aaoron Pryor talking about most fighting 10 or more fights before they could see 10+ thousand dollars, while Ray Leonard out the gate was making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I still think Showtime's SMW Tourney set the blueprint for minimizing promoters shenanigans.

There has to be a template or structure of some kind that promoters can't alter let alone dictate.
    Heck I'd be down for a schedule. Just as every February there is a Superbowl, I'd life love to see boxing do that.
    If a star player is injured, the NBA NFL don't postpone shat!!
    WBC WBA IBF...if fans agreed should be demanded to have a scheduled. Fighter injured? OK drop the belt, step aside.
    No promoter or boxer should be allowed to dictate, request or demand just as an agent for a football player can't demand cleats or grass over turf.

I think politician Senator John McCain was America's closest ally to reigning in boxing corruption.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont think a few real fans will ever be able to influence every direction the sport has taken for cash, when more numbers of casuals buy into all the hype.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For reasons mentioned in some the previous post is precisely why I'm not holding my breath for a Spence/Crawford matchup. That'll happen at least 2 Presidential terms from now.
    Last edited by Sleepwalker; 08-30-2016 at 02:47 AM.

Thread Information