87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

Karl 'Milde' Mildenberger

~ The German Southpaw Heavyweight ~

I had the 'Formula' to beat Cassius Clay. It was straight forward pressure, and
    with a steady-rate of jabs into his mid-section.

Then when he backed up, I stepped in and threw stiff left-hands into his belly.

He didn't like it down there, and that is where I targeted.

Unfortunately for me, I was not a big puncher, and my 'whiskers' were not up
    to German standards that night.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-19-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

"Decades from now, some obsessive geriatric will make up a quote which I never said, litter it with 'unnecessary' apostrophes and post it on a boxing forum to make some irrelevant, meaningless point" - Karl Mildenberger

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Uh, I don't think you did have the formula. Is it locked away in a vault with Oscar's blueprint? 😄

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By September 1966, Karl Mildenberger {Age; 28 years, 10 months} had compiled an impressive record
    of 49-2-3 with {17 KO's}.

Karl started off as a Professional n October 1958, 1-Month shy of 21 years-old, and as a Light-Heavyweight.

After 8-Years and 54-Bouts, Karl was ready.

Though regarded as a good boxer/puncher, the southpaw German didn't really 'pack-a-punch' worth noting.

And the 'chin' was suspect, as Karl had visited the canvas quite a few times, especially against American
    Heavyweights, and average ones at that.

Still, Karl had moved up to the #1 WBA ranking, in part thanks to winning the European Heavyweight
    Championship on October 17, 1964 - as well as making '3' successful Title Defenses.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-19-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adam GB: 'cassius' ~hesitated~ when *I* hit him with STIFF √lefts° to the {mid} ^section>„„××~~. Get with the program @Adam gb

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Adam GB: 'cassius' ~hesitated~ when *I* hit him with STIFF √lefts° to the {mid} ^section>„„××~~. Get with the program @Adam gb
    Excellent Observation Triple 'B'

Cassius had a 'little dog' in old the bread-basket.

Karl bruised up his belly big-time. If Karl had a little more punch, he would
    have put Cassius down a few times.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great point Bill. Ali did take a good shot to the kidmeys though. But straight down the pipe to the ol belly he winced and didnt like it.

George Foreman: <Muhamad> 'winced' more than TEN TIMES in the 2nd round in Zaire from my straight body shots.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Great point Bill. Ali did take a good shot to the kidmeys though. But straight down the pipe to the ol belly he winced and didnt like it.

George Foreman: <Muhamad> 'winced' more than TEN TIMES in the 2nd round in Zaire from my straight body shots.
    Yet Ai took it and beat Foreman with a right to the head.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

September 29, 1961

Sportpalast ~ Berlin, West Germany

{NR} - Karl Mildenberger ~ 26-1-0 {13 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 190 lbs.
    vs.
    {#29} - Young Jack Johnson ~ 25-14 -1 {12 KO's} ~ 6' 3" ~ 235 lbs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young Jack Johnson is a 8-Year Professional from Los Angeles, California. The 33 year-old is
    a big and strong Heavyweight plodder, who also is a sparring-partner for Sonny Liston.

Despite his size, Johnson is an average puncher at best, and usually wins his bouts by using
    his size {not punch} to wear his opponents down.

Johnson has 'two' decent wins recently over World-Rated;
    * June 7, 1961 ........ {W Maj. Dec 10} ~ {#9} - George Logan
    * February 18, 1961 .{W Split Dec 10 } ~ {#27} - Willi Besmanoff

Johnson has only been stopped 'twice' in 40-Bouts, and both of those stoppages were
    due to cuts. The American has a 'granite chin', and claims to have never been floored
    or hurt for that matter.

Johnson has been brought over to be a 'safe' test opponent for the German, as the
    Amercan is a 'slow-fisted' and heavy-legged plodder.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ German - Karl Mildenberger Defeats 'American Giant' - Young Jack Johnson ~

Young 23 1/2 year-old German Heavyweight - Kar Mildenberger scored his '1st' big win over
    an Amercan Heavyweight by scoring a 10-Round Decision over veteran Young Jack Johnson.

Mildenberger {190 lbs.} was out-weighed by {+45 lbs.} to Johnson {235 lbs.}. But the
    fleet-footed German used a steady flow of right-jabs and left-hand leads to the mid-section
    to keep the 6' 3" Johnson at bay.

The German was in control from the outset, and easily scored on the slow-footed Johnson who
    never seemed to get untracked.

The 33 year-old Johnson was an experienced fighter, but he was no match in the skill department
    as the young German southpaw Heavyweight out-punched him 4-to-1.

Johnson's only success was in Rounds 7 and 9, when he was able to 'bull-rush' Mildenberger into the
    Ropes, where he slugged the German with heavy right-hands to the body.

The Associated Press scored the bout { 7-2-1 } in Rounds for Karl Mildenberger.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-28-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

November 3, 1961

Ernst Merck Halle ~ Hamburg, Germany

{#30} - Karl Mildenberger ~ 27-1-0 {13 KO's} ~ 191 lbs.
    vs.
    {#19} - Wayne Bethea ~ 27-13 -2 {12 KO's} ~ 199 lbs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29 1/2 year-old veteran Amercan {New York} Heavyweight - Wayne Bethea is brought in to be Karl
    Mildenberger's toughest test to date.

The durable American {6' 0" and 199 lbs.} is a strong-fighter, and has only been stopped 'once' in his
    career, and that was to Sonny Liston {L TKO 1} back on August 6, 1958.

Wayne has scored '3' recent 'upset wins' over ;
    * August 29, 1961 ........ {W Dec 10 } ~ Willie Ray Richardson
    * January 17, 1971 ....... {TKO 7} ~ Dick Richardson
    * December 5, 1960 ...... {W Dec 10} ~ Ernie Terrell

Wayne Bethea is currently World-Ranked as the #19 Heavyweight.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ German Mildenberger Defeats Wayne Bethea Over 10 ~

German Southpaw - Karl Mildenberger used a variety of right-jabs and 2-Punch combinations
    to handily defeat veteran American Heavyweight - Wayne Bethea over 10 Rounds.

The 23 1/2 year-old Mildenberger kept his busy right-hand in the face of Bethea, who was not able
    to get in close enough to deliver his heavy right-hand counters.

After a feeling out first 2-Rounds, Mildenberger picked up the pace in Round 3 and scored with
    repeated right-jabs and 'right-left' combinations over the next 4-Rounds {thru Round 6}.

Bethea was able to have better luck in Rounds 7 and 8, when Mildenberger slowed down some,
    as the American became more aggressive and 'tagged' the German with several good right-hand
    counters.

But, the German picked up the pace in Round 9, and out-sped Bethea by landing stiff right-jabs
    into the American's face and mid-section. Bethea who was now on the defensive, could only land
    an occasional punch over the last 2-Rounds.

The Associated Press scored the bout { 6-2-2 } in Rounds for the ever-improving German.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-20-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

November 24, 1961

Festhalle ~ Frankfurt, Germany

{#17} - Karl Mildenberger ~ 28-1-0 {13 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 189 lbs.
    vs.
    {#20} - Howard 'Honey Boy' King ~ 41-19-8 {14 KO's} ~ 6' 2" ~ 200 lbs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 34 year-old veteran Heavyweight from Reno, Nevada was a tough old veteran who was
    not an easy guy to fight.

King had just come off an 'upset' {W Dec 10} over European Champion - Dick Richardson
    on September 5, 1961.

Howard was now World-Ranked as the #20 Heavyweight.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Karl Mildenberger Shuts Out 'Honey Boy' King ~

Rising 24 year-old German Heavyweight - Karl Mildenberger won a 'shut-out' 10-Round
    Decision over 34 year-old American Heavyweight - Howard King.

Mildenberger {189 lbs.} a fast-handed southpaw, took control from the Opening Bell,
    and smacked the veteran King {200 lbs.} with right-jabs and left-crosses to the face.

The German 'staggered' the American in Round 3 with a 'right-left' to the jaw, and then
    added in a barrage that had King holding on throughout the rest of the Round.

Mildenberger battered King with 'right-left' combinations from the 4th Round thru the
    7th Round.

With the bout well-in-hand, Mildenberger then cruised in Rounds 8 and 9 by moving
    and circling.

Mildenberger then added the final touches in Round 10, where he battering King and
    had the American in desperate trouble over the last 40-Seconds of the Round.

King was out-punched in every session, and was a badly-bruised fighter at the end
    of the 10-Round bout.

The Associated Press scored the bout (9-0-1} in Rounds for Karl Mildenberger.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following this win, which improved Karl Mildenberger to 29-1-0 he was slotted as the
    #9 World-Ranked Heavyweight.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-21-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday Night ~ January 20, 1962

Westfalenhalle ~ Dortmund, Germany

Attendance .........{ 9100 }

{#9} Karl Mildenberger ~ 29-1-0 {13 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 190 lbs. ~ {Age; 24 years, 2 months}
    vs.
    {NR} Pete Rademacher ~ 14-6-1 {8 KO's} ~ 6' 1 1/2" ~ 213 lbs. ~ {Age; 34 years, 2 months}
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The German - Karl Mildenberger will be facing his 4th-Straight American Heavyweight.

Karl is listed as a {5-1} Betting-Favorite.

The 'highly-touted' Mildenberger is on the march for the European Championship, and has
    his eyes on the World Championship quite possibly for 1962.

The American - Pete Rademacher {Columbus, Georgia} a 4-Year Professional, has seen his
    career fall into a 'tail-spin'.

As of April 1961, Pete was ranked as the #14 Heavyweight, was on the verge of breaking into
    the Top 10.

But 'back-to-back' Knockout losses sent his career on it's ass.

* April 29, 1961 ........ {L KO 5} > Doug Jones
    * August 17, 1961 .... {L KO 2} > George Logan

Then, Pete was embarrassed by near 45-year-old Light-Heavyweight Champion - Archie Moore.
    Pete was floored '8-Times' and stopped.

* October 23, 1961 .. {L TKO 6} > Archie Moore.

But, Pete did make a rebound, and was fairly impressive in stopping {TKO 9} tough Texan
    Buddy Turman on November 30, 1961. For that bout Pete came in at a fit {199 lbs.}.

For this bout, Pete is coming in at {213 lbs.}, which is {+21 lbs.} than he was when he fought
    Archie Moore only 4-Months earlier.

This bout was originally scheduled for the previous Saturday, but Pete suffered a 'wrist injury'
    and required a 1-Week rest period and postponement.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ German Mildenberger Whips Pete Rademacher ~

~ Karl Mildenberger Scores Narrow Win Over Pete Rademacher ~

~ Mildenberger Overwhelms Rademacher ~

Germany's brightest prospect' in years Karl Mildenberger won a 10-Round Decision over veteran
    American Heavyweight - Pete Rademacher last night in front of 9000 cheering German compatriots.

Heavily-Favored {5-1 Betting-Favorite} KarlMildenberger got off to a 'slow-start' early, as the
    American - Pete Rademacher was aggressive right from the start, as he took the fight to Karl during
    the first 2-Rounds.

Late in Round 2, Mildenberger 'cut' Rademacher around his left-eye with a 'slashing' right-hand,
    but the American still charged forward with clubbing punches.

Despite the 'cut-eye', Rademacher stayed aggressive, and started to wing 'haymakers' in Rounds 3 and 4,
    and kept the German on the defensive and outside.

But Mildenberger slowly progressed in Rounds 5 and 6, as he peppered Rademacher with numerous
    right-jabs to the face, and counter left-hands to the mid-section.

Mildenberger stepped up his attack in Round 7, as he caught the American with 'solid' punches.
    But Rademacher caught Mildenberger with a good right-hook, and opened up a cut over his 'right-eye'.

Just as it looked like Rademacher would hold his own with the fast-punching German, he was caught
    by a whistling right-hook to the chin, and went down. Rademacher took a '3-Count'.

In Round 8, Mildenberger gave the American a thorough shellacking, and dropped him again with a
    'pin-point' right-hook to the chin. Rademacher took an '8-Count', and barely survived the Round.

In Round 9, Mildenberger poured it on, and raked over the American with 'rights-and-lefts' to the
    face, and sent him reeling backwards into the Ropes several times. By winning the Round,
    Mildenberger nailed the Decision.

In Round 10, Rademacher showed 'heart-and-determination', as the threw numerous right-hand
    'haymakers' while looking for the one-punch knockout, as the German retreated and smartly
    stayed on the outside.

The Associated Press had Karl Mildenberger winning by 3-Points.

Boxing News had Karl Mildenberger winning by {5-4-1 in Rounds}, but gave him a 2-Point edge in
    Rounds 7 and 8 as a result of the Knockdowns.

The Referee {sole-scoring Offical} scored the bout for Karl Mildenberger {47-44}.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 02-28-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where are you going with all of this?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Where are you going with all of this?
    In his world Bill believes Mildenberger some how wins.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information