0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is the earth flat?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Earth isn't flat
    No practical demonstrations of the affirmative claims of the globe using tangible substance there sorry mate.
    OK then.....define "flat"
    Nice work on asking for definitions, I ask but usually get ignored.

Do you mean "level"? If so, then sure:

No deviation in elevation from your starting point across to your following point
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

The Earth isn't flat
    No practical demonstrations of the affirmative claims of the globe using tangible substance there sorry mate.

No deviation in elevation from your starting point across to your following point
    Well there's obviously flat PARTS of Earth as it were. It's by no means level you can see that quite easily and measure it easily. To me, "flat" in this context would mean the Earth would be a shape that has less depth to it than the sphere/globe shape.

So what kind of shape do you believe the Earth is?

I tend to believe it's a globe shape because I happen to have conversed with a few astronauts and what with the satellite images and all it just seems that it is....also having flown to Europe if the Earth was "flat" then why would the flight path arc? Shortest distance between 2 points on a flat surface would be a straight line, that would change on a curved surface.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Earth isn't flat

Well there's obviously flat PARTS of Earth as it were. It's by no means level you can see that quite easily and measure it easily. To me, "flat" in this context would mean the Earth would be a shape that has less depth to it than the sphere/globe shape.

So what kind of shape do you believe the Earth is?

I tend to believe it's a globe shape because I happen to have conversed with a few astronauts and what with the satellite images and all it just seems that it is....also having flown to Europe if the Earth was "flat" then why would the flight path arc? Shortest distance between 2 points on a flat surface would be a straight line, that would change on a curved surface.
    You started so well, then fell off. You ask for a definition, I gave you my definition of level. Do you agree with that definition?

My enquiry is into the affirmative claim that we have all been born into and taught that we live on a globe. When I applied my attention to the globe model, I found it was pseudoscience. It was an image backed by sophisticated language, thats it, it's not an objective truth.

So you prefer to have faith in the words of others and images, rather than the physics of a tangible substance in your reality?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You didn't answer a single question that El kabong ask you

El Kabong Guest

You started so well, then fell off. You ask for a definition, I gave you my definition of level. Do you agree with that definition?

My enquiry is into the affirmative claim that we have all been born into and taught that we live on a globe. When I applied my attention to the globe model, I found it was pseudoscience. It was an image backed by sophisticated language, thats it, it's not an objective truth.

So you prefer to have faith in the words of others and images, rather than the physics of a tangible substance in your reality?
    I agree with the definition of level, but I asked about "flat" the crux of the thread is "Is the Earth flat?".

One COULD balance a level at the tippy top of Mt Everest or at the deepest depth of Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench, but it wouldn't mean the Earth itself is level and just those two spots alone would have one easily of the belief that the world is not "flat" at least not in a manner in which humans measure it or experience it. That said if you pull back away from Earth far enough the surface, peaks and valleys and all will eventually smooth out like the surface of a marble.

Are we not "looking big enough" in your opinion? Is that it?

I'm afraid I do not understand what direction you wish to take the discussion. I was merely being flippant about climate change in my first post in this thread.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the definition of level, but I asked about "flat" the crux of the thread is "Is the Earth flat?".

One COULD balance a level at the tippy top of Mt Everest or at the deepest depth of Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench, but it wouldn't mean the Earth itself is level and just those two spots alone would have one easily of the belief that the world is not "flat" at least not in a manner in which humans measure it or experience it. That said if you pull back away from Earth far enough the surface, peaks and valleys and all will eventually smooth out like the surface of a marble.

Are we not "looking big enough" in your opinion? Is that it?

I'm afraid I do not understand what direction you wish to take the discussion. I was merely being flippant about climate change in my first post in this thread.
    I never started the thread, so the title is out of my control. I would have called it "Questioning the claims of the globe".

I cut out your stuff about climate change and only replied to the bit about the earth, stating that there were no practical demonstrations proving the affirmative claims of the globe in what you wrote.

You used hearsay, images and riding in a plane as reasons for your belief in the globe, I use natural science, and practical demonstrations using tangible substances to show the globe is not reality. Not really much to discuss, unless you've got something practical to bring to the table.
    They live, We sleep

El Kabong Guest

I never started the thread, so the title is out of my control. I would have called it "Questioning the claims of the globe".

I cut out your stuff about climate change and only replied to the bit about the earth, stating that there were no practical demonstrations proving the affirmative claims of the globe in what you wrote.

You used hearsay, images and riding in a plane as reasons for your belief in the globe, I use natural science, and practical demonstrations using tangible substances to show the globe is not reality. Not really much to discuss, unless you've got something practical to bring to the table.
    That's fine.

Well the climate change part was all I really wanted to say it was a joke.

What shape do you believe the Earth is? What's your hypothesis about it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get off it El Kabby, the Earth is flat.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    Change your name to flatboxingfan then.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's fine.

Well the climate change part was all I really wanted to say it was a joke.

What shape do you believe the Earth is? What's your hypothesis about it?
    All good with the joke, I was just addressing the earth part. Earth is demonstrably level as practically demonstrated using the physics of the tangible substance called water.

I speculate there is more land (resources) being kept from us.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Change your name to flatboxingfan then.
    He's just trying another tactic because he has nothing practical to bring to the table.

at least not in a manner in which humans measure it or experience it.
    I would like to discuss this a bit more if you're willing? I would suggest that what you measure and experience is flat and stationary.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why does water stay in my glass?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Tusker doodle he will answer that the same way he answered when I asked him how come when I jump up in the air I come back down.

His answer was because that's just what happens you just come back down

😂😂🤣🤣😂😂

so don't hold your breath because his answer to your question will be because the water stays in the glass

That is literally the depth of his arguments

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about eclipse and what not.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tusker doodle he will answer that the same way he answered when I asked him how come when I jump up in the air I come back down.

His answer was because that's just what happens you just come back down
    So what is incorrect with my reply? What were you claiming is happening?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about eclipse and what not.
    Again you are going back to visual phenomena, which is different from physical tangible phenomena. And looking at the sky to prove the shape of the ground beneath your feet.

The first eclipses were predicted on flat earth models:
    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/a/anaximander
    http://practicalphysics.org/thales-model-universe

All you really need are the physics of water to see through the veil.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information