Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    is everyone who has lost an unbeaten record a hype job?

at what point does someone stop being a hype job, as in how high up the ladder does someone have to go before a loss is acceptable

for example canelo just lost to mayweather and many times i have read on here that he is a hype job as shown by the defeat

yet he just lost to the best fighter in the world

if you are a popular fighter in the media, are you a hype job if you cant beat mayweather?

The easy, simple way is to look only at the number of wins and losses.
    The more correct, more involved way is to look at the quality of opponents in that record.
    So are you admitting that Canelo is not a hype job ? The best way to assess a fighters pedigree is to watch them fight with an open mind. If you wear blinkers then you end up seeing exactly what you want to see.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: definition of a hype job

Chavez Jr was a hype job because he wasn't that good and got gift decisions. I honestly think Canelo will be a good/great fighter. Problem is people lash out at him rather than his promoters for making him bigger and better than he actually is. Truth of the matter is that he is still a pretty solid boxer and heck I'd love to see him vs Cotto, Lara, Molina, Kirkland and the rest.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could someone tell me why Canelo is not a hype job? In particular answer the below:

What was he hyped to be? An all time great? A top 5, 10 P4Per? A dominant world champion?

Did he or will he reach this?

What has he done to deserve this hype? Who has he beat who was any use? Had he beat anyone who several other guys in the div wouldn't beat?

I think he is a hype job because people thought he was the 2nd coming. People were telling me he would beat Floyd and be one of the best boxers of his generation. I thought this was nonsense. I'm not saying he's a shit fighter, he's world class but he was still hyped beyond his abilities which makes him a hype job to me.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post

at what point does someone stop being a hype job, as in how high up the ladder does someone have to go before a loss is acceptable

for example canelo just lost to mayweather and many times i have read on here that he is a hype job as shown by the defeat

if you are a popular fighter in the media, are you a hype job if you cant beat mayweather?

The more correct, more involved way is to look at the quality of opponents in that record.
    So are you admitting that Canelo is not a hype job ? The best way to assess a fighters pedigree is to watch them fight with an open mind. If you wear blinkers then you end up seeing exactly what you want to see.

You don't post as much on the main board as you do the others, but this particular topic seems to have sparked your interest. Yeah ok, I'm not gonna pretend I had absolutely no bias while watching the fight. But some things are just plain factual. That Canelo's previously unbeaten record of 42 victories doesn't stack up well against those of other fighters with less wins and some losses? You can argue against that, but you'd be wrong. That the Canelo-Floyd fight was hyped more than just about any recent fight on record? That's pretty clear also, I believe. And that Canelo failed to deliver what many expected, given the gaudy record and the hype? Well.... most observers had it as a shutout, maybe charitably giving Canelo one round.

Maybe if I hadn't expressed myself so fervently about the fight, you'd be singing a different tune yourself. But rather, you wait to see which side you should take, and then take it. No problem.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as the term can be overused or abused like so much other boxing terminology which we can all be guilty of I have to side with @TitoFan a bit on this specific case but much of the hype is not even the kids fault. He was being touted as the guy that would do what no other had yet to do by Golden Boy, the media and forum fans. He had every advantage going for him starting with his youth which was probably also his downfall coupled with the fact that outside of Trout he was fed a steady diet of much smaller and less then elite worn out gentlemen. To cap it off, his team believed that he was actually capable of going in and out boxing Floyd and then went with that plan pretty much until the end of the fight. He never once tried to pull a Lamotta. So in that sense he was a hype job. He never at that point in time lived up to the standards others placed on him. But that does not mean that he is a hype job today as a fighter. He's only 23 and just fought this era's Robinson and is still at the elite level.

Imo its what comes after this fight that will prove one way or the other whether he is or was a hype job as a fighter. That is not to be determined by his next fight but rather what he accomplishes over the next few years. A challenge for him may be that he has to go to 160 because 154 is starting to look dryer then a popcorn fart. I doubt Floyd has any intentions on defending or fighting anyone else out of that crop. Alvarez could start by getting both belts he lost back and the unifying the division. If he folds or implodes the guess what? He is and was both a literal and figurative hype job.

Btw and ftr I think its unfair to accuse Titofan of being clouded about everything he says concerning fighters that happen to be Mexican just because at times the Mex/PR rivalry gets out of hand. That’s as unfair as what he's accused of or inferred to be doing. Lots of his thoughts on contests that may have included Mexican fighters both past and present since I joined the site have been spot on and even when I disagreed valid. I've also seen him prop countless Mexican fighter’s lots of times in all kinds of conversations and threads.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not qualified to speak about this hype question but I have a few thoughts

1)boxing fans, the media, and casual fans have become far too quick to dismiss fighters. A few losses used to be accepted as part of the process. If you overreact to a loss you feed into the failing system. Promoters may not pay direct attention to the fans but be sure that they have someone on staff thatt is paying direct attention. If fans overreact promoters feel more need to protect records and we lose out. We can't expect better from boxing if we aren't better ourselves.

2)Canelo may have put on a poor performance against Mayweather but he showed some good qualities while failing in others. Qualities that bode well for his future. He showed more ring intellect than I thought he would. There were more but here are a few quick examples
    (A)When Floyd gets into the forward posture and raises his trail heel he is looking for the pull counter. Canelo is the first fighter I recall to resist the trap of leading into it. You have to respect the awareness.
    (B)when Floyd throws the lead right he looks to duck and back out to his right because he knows the left hook will follow. Canelo smartly didn't bother with the left hook in these instances and tried to catch Floyd with the uppercut as he ducked out. He was unable to connect but it was a very clever adjustment.

I wasn't really a fan before but I'm eager to see where his career goes partly because of clever manuveurs like those. I had figured he coasted on size but his intellect is intriguing as well.

Sorry so long
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 09-18-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You don't post as much on the main board as you do the others, but this particular topic seems to have sparked your interest. Yeah ok, I'm not gonna pretend I had absolutely no bias while watching the fight. But some things are just plain factual. That Canelo's previously unbeaten record of 42 victories doesn't stack up well against those of other fighters with less wins and some losses? You can argue against that, but you'd be wrong. That the Canelo-Floyd fight was hyped more than just about any recent fight on record? That's pretty clear also, I believe. And that Canelo failed to deliver what many expected, given the gaudy record and the hype? Well.... most observers had it as a shutout, maybe charitably giving Canelo one round.

Maybe if I hadn't expressed myself so fervently about the fight, you'd be singing a different tune yourself. But rather, you wait to see which side you should take, and then take it. No problem.

I start plenty of threads on the main board and have always said that Canelo is underrated. So your nonsense just doesn't wash.Your last 30 odd posts have been about Canelo being unjustly rewarded and it just sounds like sour grapes. You have been calling everyone left right and centre who disagrees with you a cunt. I am not alone in noticing this. I am trying to be civil but your output is overwhelmingly negative and confrontational and its getting old fast. You have preconceptions about everyone and everything so it is pointless even trying to show you common courtesy but just as a heads up, for everyone else around the world the Mexican-Puerto rivalry is a bit childish.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually think Chavez Jr is a lot better than many guys think and will not only win this, but knock Alvarez out.

I got Chavez Jr by stoppage around the 10th round
    That's very possible Bilbo, a lot of us however, would like to Canelo win, by KO would be even sweeter.
    For me Canelo get hits too easily and too often. So far he hasn't fought any punchers but moving up to light middle he will be in with somebody bigger than himself.

I'm not sold on Canelo's power or skills yet. I can't shake off the memory of Matthew Hatton coasting the 12 rounds with him. Gomez was schooling him until the premature stoppage. He can improve, he's only young so foolish to judge him as if he's the finished article, but I've been impressed with Chavez lately. He's maturing into a decent fighter and in his last fight showed he has real heart and a desire to win.

This would be a great clash, and boxing heaven for those who like body punches. They will both have sore ribs the next day for sure.
    Alvarez is lazy in fights. He seems to want to win without breaking a sweat. He usualy comes to life for a few seconds when he gets hit too much. I have a feeling that if Chavez puts him in a position hes never been in, you will see a very deadly Alvarez. Thats just an assumption though. To me he looks like that sort of person.
    I think your right I remember first seeing Alvarez hurt by Jose Cotto in the 1st round last year and it seemed to wake him up. This is why Chavez will struggle his instincts will lead him to believe that he can dominate in his own weight division but the more he puts on Alvarez the better he will get. He also showed against Rhodes he can fight on the backfoot and is far from one dimensional, unlike Chavez he has continued to test himself and his rate of improvement is greater. Chavez is no bum but "Canelo" has the potential to become HOF great.
    Major miscalculation on Team Chavez's part. Probably banking on some of Canelo's recent lackluster performances. But punching power, combined with Junior's largely untested chin and heart, could factor into a big surprise.

Personally, I'd be whooping and hollering in favor of Canelo, hoping for a devastating KTFO.

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually think Chavez Jr is a lot better than many guys think and will not only win this, but knock Alvarez out.

I got Chavez Jr by stoppage around the 10th round.
    That's very possible Bilbo, a lot of us however, would like to Canelo win, by KO would be even sweeter.
    For me Canelo get hits too easily and too often. So far he hasn't fought any punchers but moving up to light middle he will be in with somebody bigger than himself.

I'm not sold on Canelo's power or skills yet. I can't shake off the memory of Matthew Hatton coasting the 12 rounds with him. Gomez was schooling him until the premature stoppage. He can improve, he's only young so foolish to judge him as if he's the finished article, but I've been impressed with Chavez lately. He's maturing into a decent fighter and in his last fight showed he has real heart and a desire to win.

This would be a great clash, and boxing heaven for those who like body punches. They will both have sore ribs the next day for sure.
    Alvarez is lazy in fights. He seems to want to win without breaking a sweat. He usualy comes to life for a few seconds when he gets hit too much. I have a feeling that if Chavez puts him in a position hes never been in, you will see a very deadly Alvarez. Thats just an assumption though. To me he looks like that sort of person.
    I think your right I remember first seeing Alvarez hurt by Jose Cotto in the 1st round last year and it seemed to wake him up. This is why Chavez will struggle his instincts will lead him to believe that he can dominate in his own weight division but the more he puts on Alvarez the better he will get. He also showed against Rhodes he can fight on the backfoot and is far from one dimensional, unlike Chavez he has continued to test himself and his rate of improvement is greater. Chavez is no bum but "Canelo" has the potential to become HOF great.
    Major miscalculation on Team Chavez's part. Probably banking on some of Canelo's recent lackluster performances. But punching power, combined with Junior's largely untested chin and heart, could factor into a big surprise.

Personally, I'd be whooping and hollering in favor of Canelo, hoping for a devastating KTFO.

well done for effort
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I start plenty of threads on the main board and have always said that Canelo is underrated. So your nonsense just doesn't wash.Your last 30 odd posts have been about Canelo being unjustly rewarded and it just sounds like sour grapes. You have been calling everyone left right and centre who disagrees with you a cunt. I am not alone in noticing this. I am trying to be civil but your output is overwhelmingly negative and confrontational and its getting old fast. You have preconceptions about everyone and everything so it is pointless even trying to show you common courtesy but just as a heads up, for everyone else around the world the Mexican-Puerto rivalry is a bit childish.

Don't get your blood pressure up, gramps. No one is calling anyone a cunt here. You blatantly ignored my points about being more even-handed toward Mexican fighters than you're giving me credit for. But that's ok, really. I'm way past caring what you think, since that seems to be engraved in stone anyway.

And you know what? The rivalry does get a bit childish. Everyone could use a little lightening up, including myself.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think about it. (Say what you see)

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so your pointed witticism went to waste, as the illustration did not show as intended (at least on my screen). No doubt it was a funny slam, intended to ridicule, and avoid the "just-posed" question.

Shame though. I'm sure it was pretty funny.

P.S. - BTW, you never did address my assertion of being even-handed toward Mexican fighters in general. Why is that? Does it undermine your point and your funny monologue? Why can't we just address the issue without the "winks to the side"? Can you do that?

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Epic Face Palm. Exasperation. Disbelief. Incredulity. Really? WTFness, etc.

Thread Information