Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Did Anyone Think Eubank Looked Better Against Carl Thompson Than He Did vs Calzaghe ?

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Did Anyone Think Eubank Looked Better Against Carl Thompson Than He Did vs Calzaghe ?

I know i will get a lot of stick for this but i think Eubank looked better against Thompson in there 1st fight, Eubank's combination punching was superb and his hand speed looked very impressive as well, he did slow down at the end of the fight, but thats obvious because of Eubank moving up two weight classes. But whats your opinions fellas ??

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Anyone Think Eubank Looked Better Against Carl Thompson Than He Did vs Calzag

Having time to prepare and not kilkling himself making weight, had something to do with it I think .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Anyone Think Eubank Looked Better Against Carl Thompson Than He Did vs Calzag

I think maybe another reason is with Thompson being the bigger man it really forced Eubank to FIGHT.

It's also ironic people downgrade Calzaghe's win over a "past it" Eubank (dropping weight and late notice is fair, i guess, but everyone has excuses) considering he gets so much credit for the performance directly after it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In that fight with Thompson , Eubank looked better with his consistence Jabs............

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his performances in defat against Calzaghe and Thompson were better than most of his winning performances - seriously!!

He had it his own way in far too many fights, but like Fenster said in these fights he was forced to fight!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank always ignited when he tasted his own blood.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I think his performances in defat against Calzaghe and Thompson were better than most of his winning performances - seriously!!

He had it his own way in far too many fights, but like Fenster said in these fights he was forced to fight!
    Yes Eubank was the kind of fighter that if you didn't force him to fight he would be happy with just doing enough to win, when fighters like Watson, Benn, etc. Forced him to fight you saw the best in Eubank, but the problem is most of Eubank's opponent's didn't force him to fight so a lot of Eubank's fights were awkward boring fights thats why i could never be a fan of Eubank. Plus didn't really like his style.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still to this day blame Warren for making the rematch with Carl so soon after the 1st fight cuz his eye obvioulsy hadnt heald. If it had he may have hung on for 3 more rounds and won on points .

Anyway . I think Joe is better than Carl and Eubank struggled to make super middle weight so Chris defo looked better in the Thompson wars . Both great fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl is a lot easier to hit than Calzaghe, so it may have looked that way, but I didn't think Eubank looked that bad against Calzaghe, Calzaghe was just the busier of the two and forced the fight more. Opponents make fights, Thompson was involved in a war everytime he got into the ring, he blocks most punches with his face but was a tough mutha. He took an amazing amount of power shots from David Haye but kept coming back for more, then took over when Haye had punched himself out. Carl has always been open to criticism but give the guy his dues he could recover from being hurt with the best of em, good job really.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Eubanks took a great deal of punishment against Carl and reminded us what a damn tough fighter he was in his wars with Benn and Watson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People generally look better against lesser opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always mantained that eubanks best performance was the 2nd collins fight.

Up there with the 1st benn fight and 2nd watson fight as eubanks greatest performances!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't believe Eubank's performances ever fluctuated that much, he was always there to be outworked, but granted he did take Calzaghe at short notice.

Thread Information