Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves v Smith to be held in Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Boxing is bigger than drunk and deluded Brit fans. The reason why boxing is doing poorly around the world is because the sport has turned into a Brit/German/North American affair for the most part- in that, at the very least, if you don't fight in either country no one knows you. But, the downside is no one else gets to know and show how much they love the sport.

The sport is even bigger in Mexico, but you would never fully appreciate how big because everyone wants to come across the border and fight in Vegas or Cali, or even Texas, just to make a name.

I have long since held the belief that markets like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Nigeria now, and South-East and Central Asia/Eurasia are HUGE markets for boxing PLUS "money" is on the table- These countries are not poor. Plus, it is good promotions for these countries.
    Exactly how is boxing doing Poorly around the world? Those 'Drunk and Deluded Brit fans' turn up in their thousands and put their money where their mouth is, supporting boxing. Daft. People are just not going to turn up in the same numbers to a Saudi Event in which two Brits are the finalists. FACT. It was an international tournament, the Brits fought and got to the final and now they are in effect preventing their fans watching it live in order to try and open up the Saudi/Arab market. It's jut not there. They have tried and failed many times for a reason. Fans at the event help make the event. It is entertainment not just sport,art, prize fighting and they are a big part of that. Holding it in Saudi hurts that. Hurts the event. Hurts the tournament and boxing.
    If the larger markets like Western Europe and America did not have MEGA TELEVISION PROMOTIONS and INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENTS behind them, the market for boxing- despite the fan base- would not be able to carry the sport. Also, since the social and developmental amenities have largely been based in these markets, particularly telecommunications and primarily telecommunications, you don't have as much avenues to PROMOTE and keep promotions SUSTAINED. But this is changing.....

With the advent of much better broadcasting equipment- for God's sake, you can record and broadcast in HIGH DEFINITION from a damn Iphone- the monopoly on VENUES need not be held to Western Europe or North America alone.

As said, boxing is much bigger than drunken and deluded Brit fans, and for that matter, bigger than snooty Germans and also much bigger than the boxing Mafia in the USA.

Population wise in Saudi Arabia, I am sure you can get 5 to 10 thousand people to fill a stadium for a world class title fight and get them to shell out $150 USD for even a nosebleed seat. They are good for that. May not be good for that every week. But every 2 or 3 months or so, they can pull it off.

Nobody but yourself is talking about a monopoly on anything. The Venues you are talking about have established a proven track record of hosting and putting on successful events for many, many years. Just like Boxing itself has it's roots here and the codification of it and the oldest belt is here not because others are stopped from developing a market but because that market is already established here. If it was so easy to fill stadiums for boxing matches in Saudi they would have already done it.

The entire reason that Britain, Germany and America have the media behind them is because it sells. It is prize fighting as a spectacle, entertainment, much more than just a sport or art form. Boxing works best when people can support a local fighter. That is as true in small hall shows int the UK, Europe and America as anywhere else. The fighter literally has to sell tickets. This is how boxing works. I know that promoters I work with and for will put fighters on a card because they can sell tickets. When you go up the levels it is still the same. Records and matchmaking aside it is the fighters ability to put bums on seats that will dictate how much the promoters, broadcasters and management are going to invest in supporting that fighter and showcasing him in challenges for belts and/or scalps/names in his climb up the ladder.

Without a high profile Saudi fighter they may well be able to pull off an occasional fight but they do not have a hope in hell of sustaining and growing that without a network of clubs, gyms, venues, fighters and paying punters used to regularly supporting shows.

Boxing has been said to be on its last legs for about 100 years. The reason boxing does well here is that success breeds success. Even before the 2012 games and the medal wins of that team Boxing has never really been off the TV or out of the papers it is in our consciousness. With multiple world champs ( more now then ever) the British public have an appetite for it and will put their hands in their pockets again and again. I am pretty sure the Saudis can never replicate that..ever.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is bigger than drunk and deluded Brit fans. The reason why boxing is doing poorly around the world is because the sport has turned into a Brit/German/North American affair for the most part- in that, at the very least, if you don't fight in either country no one knows you. But, the downside is no one else gets to know and show how much they love the sport.

The sport is even bigger in Mexico, but you would never fully appreciate how big because everyone wants to come across the border and fight in Vegas or Cali, or even Texas, just to make a name.

I have long since held the belief that markets like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Nigeria now, and South-East and Central Asia/Eurasia are HUGE markets for boxing PLUS "money" is on the table- These countries are not poor. Plus, it is good promotions for these countries.
    Exactly how is boxing doing Poorly around the world? Those 'Drunk and Deluded Brit fans' turn up in their thousands and put their money where their mouth is, supporting boxing. Daft. People are just not going to turn up in the same numbers to a Saudi Event in which two Brits are the finalists. FACT. It was an international tournament, the Brits fought and got to the final and now they are in effect preventing their fans watching it live in order to try and open up the Saudi/Arab market. It's jut not there. They have tried and failed many times for a reason. Fans at the event help make the event. It is entertainment not just sport,art, prize fighting and they are a big part of that. Holding it in Saudi hurts that. Hurts the event. Hurts the tournament and boxing.
    If the larger markets like Western Europe and America did not have MEGA TELEVISION PROMOTIONS and INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENTS behind them, the market for boxing- despite the fan base- would not be able to carry the sport. Also, since the social and developmental amenities have largely been based in these markets, particularly telecommunications and primarily telecommunications, you don't have as much avenues to PROMOTE and keep promotions SUSTAINED. But this is changing.....

With the advent of much better broadcasting equipment- for God's sake, you can record and broadcast in HIGH DEFINITION from a damn Iphone- the monopoly on VENUES need not be held to Western Europe or North America alone.

As said, boxing is much bigger than drunken and deluded Brit fans, and for that matter, bigger than snooty Germans and also much bigger than the boxing Mafia in the USA.

Population wise in Saudi Arabia, I am sure you can get 5 to 10 thousand people to fill a stadium for a world class title fight and get them to shell out $150 USD for even a nosebleed seat. They are good for that. May not be good for that every week. But every 2 or 3 months or so, they can pull it off.

Nobody but yourself is talking about a monopoly on anything. The Venues you are talking about have established a proven track record of hosting and putting on successful events for many, many years. Just like Boxing itself has it's roots here and the codification of it and the oldest belt is here not because others are stopped from developing a market but because that market is already established here. If it was so easy to fill stadiums for boxing matches in Saudi they would have already done it.

The entire reason that Britain, Germany and America have the media behind them is because it sells. It is prize fighting as a spectacle, entertainment, much more than just a sport or art form. Boxing works best when people can support a local fighter. That is as true in small hall shows int the UK, Europe and America as anywhere else. The fighter literally has to sell tickets. This is how boxing works. I know that promoters I work with and for will put fighters on a card because they can sell tickets. When you go up the levels it is still the same. Records and matchmaking aside it is the fighters ability to put bums on seats that will dictate how much the promoters, broadcasters and management are going to invest in supporting that fighter and showcasing him in challenges for belts and/or scalps/names in his climb up the ladder.

Without a high profile Saudi fighter they may well be able to pull off an occasional fight but they do not have a hope in hell of sustaining and growing that without a network of clubs, gyms, venues, fighters and paying punters used to regularly supporting shows.

Boxing has been said to be on its last legs for about 100 years. The reason boxing does well here is that success breeds success. Even before the 2012 games and the medal wins of that team Boxing has never really been off the TV or out of the papers it is in our consciousness. With multiple world champs ( more now then ever) the British public have an appetite for it and will put their hands in their pockets again and again. I am pretty sure the Saudis can never replicate that..ever.
    A monopoly is what I'm talking about exactly. Just because a guy has been doing a job for 30 years does not mean someone else out there cannot do as good of a job and better and need the job too.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't Usyk v Gassiev originally set for that stadium? Maybe it's a make up for the hosts. The place is absolutely massive.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You all probably know , because you’re all a bit more switched on than me, but I just realised that this fight is this FRIDAY, not Saturday. Fair play, ITV have got to be the most useless cunts going when it comes to promoting a PPV!
    @Master , are you gonna sticky this thread?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    You all probably know , because you’re all a bit more switched on than me, but I just realised that this fight is this FRIDAY, not Saturday. Fair play, ITV have got to be the most useless cunts going when it comes to promoting a PPV!
    I do not want to but I must.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I do not want to but I must.
    Why not? I thought you would be all over it seeing as Groves’s trainer is the son of your secret man crush!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Groves not even THINKING about Callum Smith before their World Super Series Final showdown

George Groves has dismissed Callum Smith ahead of Friday’s World Super Series Final, claiming “no-one can beat me”.

The 30-year-old insists he is not worried about facing his fellow Englishman, even though the youngest of the four famous boxing Smith brothers comes into their super-middleweight showdown with a perfect 28-0 record.

“I’m not too fussed about Callum, to be honest,” said WBA champion Groves. “I don’t know how he is feeling. I’m concentrating on myself. That’s what works for me, that’s the winning formula.

“As long as I’m in a good place, no-one is going to beat me. I’m in the form of my life. I’m number one in the division and proud of it.

“I’m the favourite going into this fight and I was the number one seed when the tournament started. I’m going to win, and I’m going to win well. We’re in a great place.”

The Final is groundbreaking as it is being held in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah, and Groves is happy to be fighting in the Middle East.

“Everything out here has been better than expected,” he said.

“I’ve never been here before, but the food has been fantastic, the people have been lovely and our accommodation is great.”

Smith, 28, has strived his whole career for this opportunity to become world champion and is determined to seize it.

“I’m excited, there’s a lot at stake,” said the Scouser.

“Win this fight and I will have achieved what I always wanted to achieve. I’m so close to finally doing it all.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...nking-13314259

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both guys have made weight and are ready to go.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves is gonna be too powerful for Smith... 4 -5 rounds of solid jabs and right hands and Smiths heart will break.
    Groves is battle hardened and been in the deep end before, Smith hasnt and that's why for me Groves stops him around 9 rounds.
    Only thing stopping Groves dominating this fight is if his shoulder goes again.
    Smith's getting taken to School tonight 👊🏻

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also think Eubank Jnr might get stopped tonight as well.... I've heard this Irish fella JJ has sparred him a few times and battered him every time. 😉
    Expect a phone box tear up between them.
    @Fenster have you heard this also and got a few quid on the Irish geezer?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I also think Eubank Jnr might get stopped tonight as well.... I've heard this Irish fella JJ has sparred him a few times and battered him every time. 😉
    Expect a phone box tear up between them.
    @Fenster have you heard this also and got a few quid on the Irish geezer?
    The Eubanks are pricks, but there is no way on earth that they would take a fight with someone that has given Jr. Problems in sparring.
    Not saying Jr. Won’t lose mind. Anything can happen cos he’s pants. I saw some videos recently of Jr. On the pads with Floyd Snr. At the Mayweather gym and he looked like he was listening. It might just be the same old shit and it may be an old video.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now I know why it had to be in Saudi. Kalle couldn’t afford the oil for his slick hair anywhere else in the World! There fucking gallons of it!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank in the ring with no dad in sight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a difference between ITV & SKY PPV. pundits - Duke McKenzie and Amir Khan. Khan is definitely on something.
    1. He’d never heard of Usyk before he won the WBSS.
    2. He couldn’t remember the “American who gave Wilder a great fight last time out and went 12 rounds??” That’ll be Victor Ortiz then.
    3. He knows “Derrent Wilder” really well.
    You couldn’t make this shit up.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank Junior knocks down his opponent with a left hook in the first round.

Junior looked like he did not believe he could so much damage from that punch

Thread Information