Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amazon should be boycotted?

150bn dollars is a bit much. I don't know why you would need such money. These super rich just get greedy IMO. I would keep 1bn and spend the rest philanthropically. Maybe start a record label and sign up everyone I like and not care about profit as that is a lot of money. As long as I can download an obscure autobiography from the 1930's for a dollar I am more than happy on a personal level.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A bit much? Understatement of the year.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has never appeared on the Philanthropy 50, a list of America’s 50 largest donors, that is published yearly by The Chronicle of Philanthropy. According to public data and news reports, Mr. Bezos and his family have bestowed around $100 million in total on charities — about one-tenth of 1 percent of his fortune.

To date he hasn’t given away much, well 100 million is a lot just not to him

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anybody have his email address, could seriously do with some money for adaptations right now. Has to be worth a shot. Never tried it before but I am past being proud when it comes to fundamental things.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bloody Amazon ......

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For any of you that may follow the market, every time amazon branches out into a new industry, such as recently they did with healthcare, every stock in the sector amazon announces it is going into drops. Remember when Bezos started he wanted to be the worlds largest bookseller. That was his goal. He borrowed 100,000 bucks from his parents to help him start. That 100,000 he borrowed from his parents is now worth 40 billion dollars. All of amazons original employees are now multi millionaires. They made made people a lot of money through investments. Saying they don’t pay much in corporate taxes is certainly one side of they issue but businesses pay a lot of tax besides corporate. They pay tax on every desk, chair, computer, pencil etc they buy on state and local level so u need to look at the whole picture. Having said that I do wonder about anti trust laws, that’s what we call it here at least. I had no idea corporate taxes were so low in England. Can’t say I know much about business in England but here amazon gets some sweetheart deals opening new corporate headquarters but they do employee a shitload of people and bring a lot of business to areas around them. I don’t blame anyone for trying to pay as little tax as possible but I do question one of the richest corporations the world has seen, one could argue one of the worlds most revolutionary companies, getting all these sweetheart deals but if England is like the US when amazon was looking to build in England areas were fighting to get them in there. Amazon, Apple, google, faceberg and Netflix are amazing powerful companies, maybe the most powerful since the British East Indies company, which I bet payed shit for taxes. By the way, how many large English companies find ways around paying taxes.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PS don’t get me wrong I have issues with Amazon’s sweetheart tax deals and do wonder about anti trust but It doesn’t appear amazons success has been from unfair business practices it appears they are genius businessmen but I agree the tax deals they get are outrages. I would have more respect for amazon if they opened corporate headquarters in Detroit (here in the US) where the city is falling to shit and really needs help. If businesses thought more like that it would be easier to have more respect for them.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saved quite a bit of money (about $120) by buying a new pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8 X 42 binoculars through Amazon, rather than from a Vancouver retailer. In fact, I couldn't even find the exact pair I wanted here in the city, they just have the Monarch 7 10 X 42, which although very sharp are not as bright and have a narrower field of view.

I absolutely love these Monarch 7 binoculars: widest field of any I've ever owned, also they are the sharpest (for example, I can see individual stars in M44 and that 61 Cygni is a double) and brightest (which means I don't need to strain my eyes on viewing birds and wild animals in shady area or on overcast days).

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bezos was a visionary, he saw what it could be when AOL was sending disks to every household. Why isn’t AOL google? They could have been.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I saved quite a bit of money (about $120) by buying a new pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8 X 42 binoculars through Amazon, rather than from a Vancouver retailer. In fact, I couldn't even find the exact pair I wanted here in the city, they just have the Monarch 7 10 X 42, which although very sharp are not as bright and have a narrower field of view.

I absolutely love these Monarch 7 binoculars: widest field of any I've ever owned, also they are the sharpest (for example, I can see individual stars in M44 and that 61 Cygni is a double) and brightest (which means I don't need to strain my eyes on viewing birds and wild animals in shady area or on overcast days).
    Also, the great thing about the Kindle is that you can get the greatest literature for free. The entire works of Dickens. The entire works of Shakespeare. Just free. I am interested in some rather niche topics and you can find really rare books and because there is little interest buy them for about a dollar or what have you. The Kindle is great in a number of ways and I think Amazon does an excellent job in that regard. In my early years here I really struggled with books as I simply did not have a bookshop nor any access. The Kindle means I can read anything at any time with no limitations. That is pretty Amazoning really.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could never read stuff on an electronic device. I feel sorry for you not having access to quality second hand book shops Miles. There is nothing like the feel and smell of a paper book and I am not sure I could cope without the respite wandering around these emporiums of enlightenment. I get the supremacy of Nikon, having shot with them for years, and their customer service in replacing shutters etc has been top notch.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I would never use a Kindle either.

Having an actual book means you can handily wipe your arse on any of the pages you have already read.

What do you think of that multi functionality Mr Kindle?

I say "Pah!" to your modern technology
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I could never read stuff on an electronic device. I feel sorry for you not having access to quality second hand book shops Miles. There is nothing like the feel and smell of a paper book and I am not sure I could cope without the respite wandering around these emporiums of enlightenment. I get the supremacy of Nikon, having shot with them for years, and their customer service in replacing shutters etc has been top notch.
    I get that but I gotta say the ability to hold hundreds of books on one device is incredibly handy. Especially during travel. You can also go to the library and the put the books right on the kindle for you. News magazines no though, I want my papers in print.

Amazon is on top. On Monday, it surpassed Microsoft to become the largest publicly traded company in the U.S. by market cap, with a current valuation of $789 billion. Apple, its fierce competitor, has fallen to fourth place, trailing both Microsoft and Alphabet.
    That's good news for Amazon investors, especially those who bought stock early on. If you had invested $1,000 in the tech company in early January 2009, your initial outlay would be worth more than $28,356 as of January 2019, according to CNBC calculations.
    And the ecommerce giant is expected to see shares surge more than 20 percent in 2019, according to a new report from Pivotal Research Group.

Plus that’s pretty cool to

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So we have a new AG up for confirmation here in the US. During questioning he mentioned he may go after the FANG stocks using anti trust laws. Mind you Microsoft just gave half a billion dollars to affordable housing. These big tech stocks will be on the defense now. If the fed goes after these companies it’ll be an interesting battle

PS start looking at buying some gold and silver to hedge your bets. In the 80’s silver was 74 bucks an ounce which in today’s money is around 140 bucks. Today it’s 15-16 dollars an ounce
    Last edited by walrus; 01-18-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I get that but I gotta say the ability to hold hundreds of books on one device is incredibly handy. Especially during travel. You can also go to the library and the put the books right on the kindle for you. News magazines no though, I want my papers in print.

Amazon is on top. On Monday, it surpassed Microsoft to become the largest publicly traded company in the U.S. by market cap, with a current valuation of $789 billion. Apple, its fierce competitor, has fallen to fourth place, trailing both Microsoft and Alphabet.
    That's good news for Amazon investors, especially those who bought stock early on. If you had invested $1,000 in the tech company in early January 2009, your initial outlay would be worth more than $28,356 as of January 2019, according to CNBC calculations.
    And the ecommerce giant is expected to see shares surge more than 20 percent in 2019, according to a new report from Pivotal Research Group.

Plus that’s pretty cool to
    Yes I can see how it is useful and vital for some to have so many books on one device. Just personally I spend enough time working with screens all day and night to know I would hate having to read books on one. No substitute.

I fell into a coma reading the rest of your post but yes Amazon, shares, etc. I think Miles hordes gold too, so maybe you are both dragons. Batman would love to read about you being such a big fan of fantasy fiction. 😁
    Hidden Content

Thread Information