Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default StrikeForce

Ok this card showed a lot of guys who need to hang them up

Randleman- has never been that polished of a fighter but he didn't even show the world class athleticism he once had and Whitehead isn't that good

Arlovski- All that tremendous talent and athletic ability and absolutely no chin. plain sad

Smith- This guy takes way to much punishment. Nick looked great. He needs to fight Shields now

Baroni- I was interested in what the NY Bad Ass would be able to do at 170. Now I'm not..Hang em up Phil

Hats off to Jake Shields on a big win. Not sure if he gets that more often than not but a wins a win.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: StrikeForce

Barnett was right, he just went straight back and Rogers has surprisingly fast hands.

I don't think I've ever seen a volume puncher in MMA like Diaz. In boxing yes but not MMA. The fight was pretty much over the first real left hook to the body that Diaz landed, every single one after that folded Smith. Diaz can look so awkward with his strikes sometimes but he'll throw four or five pushed shots which look harmless and then sneak in a good left. He's gotta get caught at some point doing that showboating, he seems to have a good chin but with those small gloves its gotta hurt him at some point. Maybe it already has and I wasn't watching. He did come out the second round with his hands up.

The whole time they were talking about how Smith looked uncomfortable on his feet he was doing some things. Nice choke but from what I've been told standing up like Lawler did is the wrong thing to do.

Anyway I was desperate for something with this slow boxing weekend, it was fairly entertaining.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 06-07-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh dear, all the shit that Roach said about throwing him in with Valuev in a boxing match, he has no idea how to defend a punch and then has no chin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0Ycs4wLCg

If this is his opponent, an ex middle who got knocked out in his 1 and only pro bout, he should probably give the boxing dreams a rest

Bret Rogers

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Oh dear, all the shit that Roach said about throwing him in with Valuev in a boxing match, he has no idea how to defend a punch and then has no chin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0Ycs4wLCg
    If this is his opponent, an ex middle who got knocked out in his 1 and only pro bout, he should probably give the boxing dreams a rest

Bret Rogers
    Honestly, I am really sad for the Pitbull, I really like him. I think his boxing is good though, against the last emperor, he was tagging him good BUT.. got caught by one punch and went down, I think that his chin is more problematic than his boxing overall, in that one he started a bit overconfident and it did cost him the match, unfortunately. I wouldn't say that he's ready to do solely boxing but his boxing really improved under Roach from what I've seen, the problem is not there but in how his jaw holds in place.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well moving straight backwards with no head movement against Rogers was just plain stupid, but I agree Nameless Arlovski's striking is on a level that very few reach. Good power, accuracy, handspeed and solid technique. MMA has a pretty small margin for error and Andre seems always to be simply one minor mistake away from being lights out. It sucks that the guy has the size and skill to beat any HW in the world but one decent punch to the button and its all over for him.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rogers has a decent looking record, wonder if he could get down to light heavy? Looks like he may be able to, I dont think hes gonna be as strong as some of the others, although as seen here, hes got fast powerfull hands and is agressive so will be a handfull for anyone.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's 6'5 265 according to Sherdog so doubtful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arlovski might have a much better chin with boxing gloves and an 8 count to recover.

There's a big difference in going to a neutral corner and letting your opponent recover rather than jumping on them and continuing to punch them when they are down.

I think we would see a whole lot less recoveries in boxing if the other fighter kept punching them when they went down. Arlovski is lacking a bit in the chin department, but I don't think it would be nearly as big a hole in boxing as it is in mma.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think so, its not like hes getting hurt and trying to hold on or move, he gets hit and just stops everything, hes gone, he has no resiliance to a punch on the chin.

Compare that to the amount of big right hands Tyson took against Lewis, infact imagine Tyson in there with Arlovski, even now a quick burst like that from Rogers and Arlovski would have been out.

Arlovski is supposed to be good but a washed up boxer could have done that, it wouldnt work against everyone in mma but Arlovski cant take pressure or punches and is a bully in that the mma fighters hes up against do get intimidated by punches and let him work, whereas Arlovski isnt used to seeing a boxers skill and agression with their fists as the people he does fight just generally dont box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    I dont think so, its not like hes getting hurt and trying to hold on or move, he gets hit and just stops everything, hes gone, he has no resiliance to a punch on the chin.

Compare that to the amount of big right hands Tyson took against Lewis, infact imagine Tyson in there with Arlovski, even now a quick burst like that from Rogers and Arlovski would have been out.

Arlovski is supposed to be good but a washed up boxer could have done that, it wouldnt work against everyone in mma but Arlovski cant take pressure or punches and is a bully in that the mma fighters hes up against do get intimidated by punches and let him work, whereas Arlovski isnt used to seeing a boxers skill and agression with their fists as the people he does fight just generally dont box.

Tyson had an amazing chin. He was only hurt by dozens of solid punches. No comparison to Arlovski and I don't think anybody thinks Arlovski is even in the same league as Tyson's prime.

I'm not saying he would have a GOOD chin. Just saying he might get up and be able to continue. When he goes out he wakes up while the ref is stopping it. No argument that he's out, has a weak chin, or isn't a top level boxer.

Just saying he gets stunned, goes limp, the fighter keeps hitting him and it gets stopped. Boxing, he could get stunned, go limp and down, the ref walks the other fighter to a neutral corner and turns to count and Arlovski can take the count and get up. Also it's a lot easier to block punches with boxing gloves than with mma gloves so he'd probably get hit on the chin less.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Thread Information