Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the appeal of "Prizefighter" ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is the appeal of "Prizefighter" ?

It seems to have been a big hit in the UK, but hasn't really caught on in the U.S. I remember years ago a big heavyweight tournament called "Superfighter" was proposed, marketed, ultimately never came about.

How much bank do you lot put into the winners of the Prizefighter tournaments ?

I've only caught replays of a few and heavyweight Mike Perez was the most impressive.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is the appeal of "Prizefighter" ?

Personally none & I think most knowledgeable fans don't either.

It's essentially an amateur format that can be exciting due to the format & bonuses on offer for a knockout. It gives a a decent payday to the winner & not bad change to the rest but it's nothing to get to excited about really, just a bit of fun.

I think it says a lot for this when 'Ordinary' Harrison has won it twice!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its balls out exciting fights and you get a winner on the same night.

It means nothing in the big scheme of things or rankings but its entertainment which is what pro boxing is supposed to be. Making money from selling tickets. Who wants to be bored to tears after being promised blood and thunder from Tony Bellew when they are guaranteed it at the prizefighter shows?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a good format and obviously does well, always a sell out. Doesn't mean anything on a bigger scale. I'm not always in the mood for it when it's on but have seen a fair few of them.

Was it the lightweights a little while ago they had Crolla and Matthews both in it plus some others. Matthews was cut or swollen badly and that ruined his night. The short fights didn't suit Crolla it takes him 3 rounds to get going.

Harrison will win it 9/10 he was an olympic gold medallist and been in big events, half the guys who enter prizefighter will never experience being on such a high profile show.

The appeal really is the guys know they have 3 rounds so usually start fast, sometimes there's some good KO's or just good toe to toe fights without knowing who has won. Basically it can have all the excitement of a 12 rounder crammed in to loads of little 3 rounders. Not the biggest fan myself but gets the guys a good payday and it isn't harming anyone so nothing to complain about.

I think the show has been aimed at the more casual sports fan or blokes who like to think they are watching the elit and talk shit with their mates if it's on in the pub. Run by Matchroom isn't it, they did something similar with Snooker too, a different format where a player only has so much time per shot etc (or something along those lines).

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    It seems to have been a big hit in the UK, but hasn't really caught on in the U.S. I remember years ago a big heavyweight tournament called "Superfighter" was proposed, marketed, ultimately never came about.

I've only caught replays of a few and heavyweight Mike Perez was the most impressive.
    I've thought about why Prizefighter has not done well in the US.
    I think the main reason is MMA, it's everywhere and most of us do like it. A secondary reason is that there is only so much time in a day.
    There is so much sports programming on my satellite company's menu, there is no way to keep up and I'm retired.
    The thing is I'm not a sports fanatic. I don't watch pro or college football, basketball, soccer or baseball. I know, I know, it's just so un-American, I should be taken outback and shot.
    There is too much to watch, and Prizefighter or something like it has been squeezed out, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

I've thought about why Prizefighter has not done well in the US.
    I think the main reason is MMA, it's everywhere and most of us do like it. A secondary reason is that there is only so much time in a day.
    There is so much sports programming on my satellite company's menu, there is no way to keep up and I'm retired.
    The thing is I'm not a sports fanatic. I don't watch pro or college football, basketball, soccer or baseball. I know, I know, it's just so un-American, I should be taken outback and shot.
    There is too much to watch, and Prizefighter or something like it has been squeezed out, in my opinion.
    You may be on to something with the mma angle. There is a wealth of mma programming in the U.S. with UFC, Bellator, WSOF etc. The Ultimate Fighter openers where 32 guys fight to get into the house is somewhat similar to Prizefighter.

I don't watch any of that shit either, save for NFL playoffs and superbowl of course.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I put stock in the British ones as I generally consider the winner has got to be in line for a crack at the British Title. It also helps brawlers and journeyman make a decent wage packet in one night. They give you £3K even if you lose in the first 10 seconds. The winner makes £32K and they now throw in 2K with every KO win. It can help propell you domestically. The problem for the US is they don't really put much stock in their national title, probably because the country is much larger and produces many more stars as a result. Over here, the British title has a bit of prestige to it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've watched every prizefighter possible. The appeal is the fast paced 3 round 'knock the other guy out' approach that it takes to win.

Granted that there has been some with almost no punchers, that can make it boring.

The rewards are good, 32k for winner and 2k per knockout.

+ look at Audley, won it and gets a shot at Wilder, if he wins he could get a world title shot.

And if you're a young prospect it's risky in the sense that it's easy to lose in prizefighter but it is also a way of getting 3 wins in 9 rounds on your record.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to be a fan, but they seem to be every other week now so I'm losing interest very quickly! You get £4k for being knocked out at the quarter final stage, £8k for being knocked out at the semi final stage, £16k for the runner up and £32k for winning. And like everyone else said £2k for every KO. Rocky Fielding was probably the biggest shock when he won, he was 3-0 when he entered and he became the 1st boxer to win all 3 fights by KO.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i like it, good nights entertainment

by the way the perez had a very easy rout to winning the prizefiighter he won, there have been some much more impressive performances, like audley twice
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

by the way the perez had a very easy rout to winning the prizefiighter he won, there have been some much more impressive performances, like audley twice
    Audley's performances were only impressive because you didn't expect it based on the shit you'd seen before. He was getting outboxed by Coleman Barrett in the final of the first one before finding that left hand.

I agree that there have been more impressive performances than Mike Perez (Rocky Fielding for example), but I think Audley kinda soured your point.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Audley's performances were only impressive because you didn't expect it based on the shit you'd seen before. He was getting outboxed by Coleman Barrett in the final of the first one before finding that left hand.

I agree that there have been more impressive performances than Mike Perez (Rocky Fielding for example), but I think Audley kinda soured your point.
    it was said tongue in cheak

i actualy rate the mike perez and rocky fielding wins as the two most fortunate out of the whole series

fortunate as in they met the right fighters at the right times

fielding got 3 KOs which is impressive yes, but my gran could have won his semi and final by KO the state his opponents were in mind
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should also point out that for a fighter it is what you make of it. Martin Rogan won the first ever one and he was an unknown before this. Because of this he got the Audley fight, which he won. He then beat Matt Skelton for the Commonwealth belt and got a decent payday to headline in Belfast in his next 2 fights.

Martin Murray won the first ever Middleweight one. He was the favourite going in, but he took the risk. He's gone on to win domestic belts and now he's fighting the Best Middleweight in the world for the WBC title.

On the flip side, Ryan Brawley won the first lightweight one and hasn't propelled from that level at all.

Like I said it is what you make of it. When you're an unknown it gives you a primetime slot to showcase your skills. Some grasp it, others don't.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds as though Prizefighter is pretty popular and appreciated for what it is: an action focused mash up of unknowns, prospects, club fighters and has beens.

Personally, I do like watching it, but it seems like all we get is old 2011 re runs here in the U.S.

Who did you lot think deserved the nod between Skelton and Sprott ? Looked to me like Skelton came on strong in the 3rd and may have been screwed.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds as though Prizefighter is pretty popular and appreciated for what it is: an action focused mash up of unknowns, prospects, club fighters and has beens.

Personally, I do like watching it, but it seems like all we get is old 2011 re runs here in the U.S.

Who did you lot think deserved the nod between Skelton and Sprott ? Looked to me like Skelton came on strong in the 3rd and may have been screwed.
    Sprott won it for me. I thought Skelton didn't do much early doors.

Thread Information