Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toney-Hopkins were set to fight on August 9, 2003... then Hopkins punked out

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Toney-Hopkins were set to fight on August 9, 2003... then Hopkins punked out

Not only did he back out from TOney, but around the same time, he declined Roy's offer of 60-40 for a rematch..

Some " throwback " huh.. smh

GOOSSEN TUTOR PROMOTIONS MEDIA INFO

Bernard Fernandez | Hopkins, Toney debate whose neighborhood was tougher
    Now that the James Toney-Bernard Hopkins fight has been made, the rhetoric between the street-wise champions figures to fly as much as the punches eventually will. (The fight will be on HBO pay-per-view on Aug. 9, probably at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay.) Sure, sure, Toney (66-4-2, 42 KOs), the IBF cruiserweight champ, and Hopkins (42-2-1, 31 KOs), the undisputed middleweight titlist who will pack on more than a few pounds in order to challenge Toney, now have lifestyles of the rich and famous. But their roots are firmly sunk into the inner-city concrete from which they sprang, and they already are engaging in a classic case of verbal one-upmanship.

Today's debate topic: My old 'hood is tougher than yours. The opening statement shall be made by Mr. Hopkins, 38, now of Newark, Del. He is the proud driver of a gleaming Bentley, but his formative years were spent in the Badlands of North Philadelphia. Mr. Hopkins once served 5 years in Graterford Prison for strong-arm robbery, and his home life was so impoverished he recalls brushing roaches off bread before he ate it. "James Toney makes out like he's this big gangsta,'' Hopkins said. "Where I came from, we laugh at guys like him. He's a wannabe. I was in Graterford, where there were guys who'd want to kill you if you looked at them wrong. James Toney wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes inside those walls. "And he makes out like he's from Detroit. Come on, the man came up in Ann Arbor.

The only Big House they got there is the Michigan football stadium. "When he was the IBF middleweight champion and I was the No. 1 contender in 1993, Toney moved up to super middleweight to fight [then-IBF 168-pound champ] Iran Barkley, who was older, slower and less skilled than me. He ran from me then and he really don't want no part of me now. I've been owing him this butt-whippin' for a long time. Jackie Kallen [Toney's manager then] even told me once, 'We don't need you because James is lazy, and you're not.' '' Thank you, Mr. Hopkins. Now taking his turn at the podium is Mr. Toney, 34, who once threatened to kill the aforementioned Ms. Kallen for some perceived transgression. Although Mr. Toney now resides in Sherman Oaks, Calif., and drives a Lincoln Navigator, he was born in a poor section of Grand Rapids, Mich., spent 7 years, as Mr. Hopkins noted, in Ann Arbor - Mr. Toney insists there are, indeed, mean streets there - and honed his craft in Detroit. "Let Bernard Hopkins brag about having been in prison,'' he said. "Tell him we ain't fighting in a jail cell, we ain't fighting in the street.

We're going to be in the ring, and that's my turf. I own it like I'm gonna own him. I'm gonna give him a butt-kicking like he won't believe. "He beat Felix Trinidad. So what? I ain't Trinidad. I'm me. He ain't never been in with nobody like me. And what's this stuff about him putting down Ann Arbor? Tell him to go there and I'll show him how tough it is, and he isn't. "One more thing: I trained in Detroit. To be a real fighter, you have to go to Detroit. That's the bottom line. Ain't nobody tough ever come out of Philly, and that includes Joe Frazier. He's really from South Carolina.''

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Toney-Hopkins were set to fight on August 9, 2003... then Hopkins punked out

Hopkins was a lean 160 while Toney probably just barely made 200 pounds around that time, of course it didn't happen, how could it have. By the time Hopkins moved up from middleweight, Toney was a whale who couldn't get below 230. The window for those two would have been sometimes in the early to mid nineties, maybe between Roy Jones beating the two of them. I do think Toney at his best would have pulled through in a very tough fight.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Toney-Hopkins were set to fight on August 9, 2003... then Hopkins punked out

When Toney said that BHOP was so ugly, Mrs Hopkins must have slept with a goat, it cracked me up.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins also pulled out of negotiations for a Calzaghe fight after being offered more money around the same time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Hopkins also pulled out of negotiations for a Calzaghe fight after being offered more money around the same time.
    Yea because calzaghe handnt done shit at that time. He was a nobody outside of Europe..

He was nothing more than another erdei in the eyes of americans.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins wanted the big money fights which were against Oscar and even Tito. The rest was just decoys like Joe Calzaghe. Hopkins did not move up for years which says it all.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop vs Toney in 2003 Wasn't toney 40-60lbs heavier than Bhop by then?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Bhop vs Toney in 2003 Wasn't toney 40-60lbs heavier than Bhop by then?
    Yes. Hopkins didn't punk out of shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finito, wasn't this suppose to be at 190? You do know that BHop still hasn't reached 190, correct? But to the real point/problem...tell us the truth if you will. What is your obsession with putting down Hopkins? Don't take it out on me I really just want to know.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins and Toney are polar oppisites in what it takes to maintain at peak performance and actually be dedicated to your craft. Hopkins is beating guys half his age and breaking his own records when Toney is at some Waffle House breaking the booth while he pounds down multi stacks and trays of bacon.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Hopkins and Toney are polar oppisites in what it takes to maintain at peak performance and actually be dedicated to your craft. Hopkins is beating guys half his age and breaking his own records when Toney is at some Waffle House breaking the booth while he pounds down multi stacks and trays of bacon.
    On Facebook Toney continues to post pics of him training n has a lil campaign going saying he wants to get to 100 fights. I think he's 11 or so away sadly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    On Facebook Toney continues to post pics of him training n has a lil campaign going saying he wants to get to 100 fights. I think he's 11 or so away sadly.
    Love me some Toney way back but he's become the crazy drunk uncle who won't leave the party. He could have easily reached 100 but he pooched it. Dude was crazy active early in career but the last chunk of years has been embarrassing for a once legit bad ass.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jehoshaphat View Post
    Finito, wasn't this suppose to be at 190? You do know that BHop still hasn't reached 190, correct? But to the real point/problem...tell us the truth if you will. What is your obsession with putting down Hopkins? Don't take it out on me I really just want to know.
    Why did he make the initial agreement if the weight was an issue? Hopkins' first pro fight was at Light Heavyweight and with his height and frame, he could have easily bulked up to 190.. he knew Toney was a stylistic nightmare for him so he used Don King as an excuse to rank out..

I was once a fan of hopkins in the mid 90s.. I thought he was a straight up killer and he was exciting to watch.. I liked him up until he beat tito but starting with morad hakkar, I got turned off..

He is a hypocrite and ive seen him contradicting himself countless times. Dude acts all hood in interviews, he comes off as if he's coming to kill his foes but then when the bell rings, dude cries and puts on all kinds of acts like a weasel... he is a fake.

Do I need to mention his pathetic antics against calzaghe, roy, , and dawson? Cmon man lol.. gangsters and throwback fighters dont behave the way he does in so many fights..

He is one of the dirtiest fighters in the game but when somebody does him dirty, he exaggerates like a mofo and starts crying and shit.. he tries to milk shit to the fullest.. he is a con man..

And his boring ass style doesnt help either. When is the last time youve seen him display a sustained boxing action without clinching, headbutting, kidney punching and all that other bs.. im talking about consistent flow of boxing match ala Leonard-hearns, toney-McCallum..

Hopkins is not a throwback fighter like he claims to be man.. throwbacks dont get down like that..

James toney is a throwback, Marquez is a throwback....

" Bernard is not old school, he's an old foo "

- Master James Toney

That's real talk homey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were two of my favorite fighters. I don't know when the match could have been made but I would have loved to see it. Hell I'd pay for it now despite it being a cruel joke at this point. Despite it all Hopkins has always given Toney a deal of respect and Toney reciprocated as well in his own way. I've seen Hopkins say how Toney perfected the shoulder roll defense in talking with Rashad Evans of MMA fame and I believe as well as in the Ring magazine. If Toney doesn't say you are a bum that as much a compliment you will get out of him.
    I was going to say that Roy beats them both but I realized he already has. Great era of boxing would have been better if they fought though. Toney's interview with Benn and Eubank over satellite form the Wild Card gym with Mickey Rourke was hilarious.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having grown up in Grand Rapids I can tell you the poorer areas Toney spoke of are not scary. You can go to the next block and you're in a middle class neighborhood.

And Ann Arbor, you don't get less "mean streets" than the most highly educated city per capita in the world.

I used to be a huge Toney fan, hell I still put Toney DVDs in if I want to teach someone a few things but the dude wasted his career.

Thread Information