Melson-King set for December 4!

For Immediate Release

New York, NY (November 19, 2013) – Popular junior middleweight Captain Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson of New York City looks to take another step in the right direction when he squares off against solid veteran Gundrick “Sho-Gun” King over eight rounds in the main event of Broadway Boxing Wednesday, December 4 at BB King Blues Club in Time Square.

Melson, 12-1-1 (4 KO’s), was originally slated to face unbeaten Chris Gilbert however, the bout fell apart after an unauthorized representative accepted the bout on his behalf.

A four time US Army Champion, 100% of Melson’s purses, thirteen which went to Justadollarplease.org to help support America’s first trial to cure Chronic Spinal Cord Injuries and the other to help a friend who had a young son with cancer, were donated. In his most recent bout, the 2003 West Point grad outpointed tougher than advertised Jason Thompson for a unanimous decision. That night included 8 rounds of exciting boxing for Melson in front of a standing room only crowd, in which Melson knocked Thompson down in the 8th round. Former NBA power forward/Knicks legend Larry Johnson and Academy Award Winner Cuba Gooding Jr., both fans of Melson, went to the fights that night to support him.

King, who is fighting in the Big Apple for a third time, has a solid 18-10 professional ledger with 11 wins by knockout. The 35-year-old Tuscaloosa, AL native’s battled a number of quality fighters including former world champion Yuri Foreman, title challenger Paul Delgado, world rated junior middleweights Jonathan Gonzalez and Charlie Ota and unbeaten Brad Solomon.

The 28 fight veteran is far more experienced than any of Melson’s prior opponents and is expected to test him.

“He’s got a lot of experience against top fighters," Melson said of King. "This is the kind of opponent that I’ve got to beat in order to get to that level. I’m expecting King to bring the heat and try to use his experience to overwhelm me. Fortunately, I have a strong amateur background that gave me different but important experience as well. I am already prepared for whatever he has to offer, and I love a good scrap.”

Tickets starting at $55 are available on Teamfighttowalk.com but sell fast due to a high demand. Following the bout, Melson will once again donate his entire fight purse to Justadollarplease.org in support of bringing trials to the United States that could help cure chronic Spinal Cord Injuries. It was recently released in the nationwide media that this clinical trial we are raising funds for to bring here to the U.S. has resulted in 15 out of 20 patients walking enrolled in the study in China who were paralyzed an average of 7 years. Unfortunately, there still is not enough money to carry the trial out in the US but it is estimated that it could start sometime in 2014.

In association with the 501 (C) 3 nonprofit Justadollarplease.org, Melson and his best friend Christan Zaccagnino created Team Fight to Walk, whose mission is to raise awareness within the boxing community as well as the entire nation about the importance of bringing Clinical Trials to the United States to help cure Spinal Cord Injuries. Team Fight to Walk is comprised of Melson, Zaccagnino, former Rutgers football player/ESPY honoree Eric LeGrand, two-time cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham, Austin “No Doubt” Trout, title contender DeAndre “The Bull” Latimore, Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana, Sonya Lamonakis, Hector “Machito” Camacho Jr., WBO Junior Middleweight titlist/2008 US Olympian Demetrius “Boo” Andrade and fellow 08’ Olympian Shawn Estrada along with prospects Sid “The Messenger” El Harrak, Jeff “TNT” Spencer, Denis “Da Momma’s Boy” Douglin, Will “Power” Rosinsky, Floriano “Italiano” Pagliara, Danny “Little Mac” McDermott, Vinny “The Lion” O’Brien, Ahmed “Prince of Egypt” Samir and Delen “Sniper” Parsley.

For more information or to make a donation, go to teamfighttowalk.com or Justadollarplease.org. All specific questions about the nature of the Clinical Trial to cure Spinal Cord Injury can be sent to boydmelson@yahoo.com.