Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default George Kambosos Jr v Maxi Hughes

George Kambosos will fight Maxi Hughes on Saturday 22nd July 2023 at FireLake Arena in Shawnee.

The fight will take place over 12 rounds in the Lightweight division, which means the weight limit will be 135 pounds (9.6 stone or 61.2 KG).

This contest is an eliminator for the IBF lightweight championship of the world.

Also, on the undercard will be Keyshawn Davis' and Francesco Patera's contest and Giovani Santillan's and Erick Bone's bout.

Maxi Hughes believes George Kambosos Jr has branded him as a "nobody" but the British contender plans to boost his reputation with a sensational win.

The 33-year-old Yorkshireman is full of confidence ahead of his bout with former unified world champion Kambosos at the Firelake Arena in Shawnee, Oklahoma, live on Sky Sports in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Kambosos represents the biggest fight of his career so far, but Hughes is excited and determined, rather than daunted.

"I'm in good spirits, feeling fit and healthy and enjoying it. I have to keep reminding myself to enjoy the journey," Hughes told Sky Sports.

Keyshawn Davis calls for undisputed lightweight title fightLiam Smith: Loser of rematch with Chris Eubank Jr should retireStream Sky Sports boxing on NOW
    "Not many people from the UK get to come to America to be involved in a massive fight, top of the bill on a big promotion. So I'm just reminding myself to enjoy every minute because, as we all know, boxing is a short career."

Kambosos returns to the ring for the first time since October, when he suffered his second defeat to current undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney in Australia.

Hughes will be an underdog in Oklahoma but is looking to cause an upset.

"I admire George for what he's done, but with my experience, I can look past that," Hughes asserted. "He's fit, he's durable, he'll keep coming all night. He's obviously a big name, and I'm the underdog, as normal, which is no surprise to me. It doesn't bother me in the slightest."

Reflecting on his journey to this point, Hughes cited his victory against Jono Carroll as a pivotal moment that propelled him forward. He said: "I got that win there, and that just showed myself, you're not going to be a nearly-man, you've just beaten Jono Carroll, who fought for a world title in America."

Since suffering his fifth professional loss to Liam Walsh in 2019, Hughes went on to win his next seven fights in a row, including a unanimous decision over Carroll and most recently a points victory over former champion Kid Galahad in Nottingham last September.

He intends to keep that run going. "Come fight night, they're going to be in for a big surprise because I think they will have looked at me and gone: 'He's got good rankings, but he's nobody'," Hughes declared.

"[Kambosos] has got that big following, signing with Top Rank, he's a good talker. I'm happy to just be the humble, quiet guy. Then when I get my chance on fight night, turn it on and put him in his place.

"I relish those opportunities and I love doing that."

The fight with 'Ferocious' is an IBF world title eliminator. Should he be victorious, challenging for a world honour could be next on the horizon for Hughes. He intends to prove himself at that level.

"I'm only from a small village in the UK. I'm not the gobbiest, I've not got loads of followers. I'm the IBO champion. I'm ranked high enough with the WBC and the IBF. In their mind, I'm a credible enough opponent for him to come back against," he stated.

For young fighters, Hughes had some valuable advice which he feels made him the fighter he is today. He said: "Don't try and get to 20-0, 30-0 without boxing anybody. You're better off having proper fights, you'll feel better, you'll learn more. And when your career is said and done, you can look back and say: 'I fought everyone they put in front of me, I didn't dodge anyone, I was willing to take on all challengers'. It's more satisfying."

That attitude has carried Hughes further than many thought possible.

He wants finally to make a splash on the world scene, while Kambosos is aiming to reclaim his spot at the top of the division. Both men have plenty to prove going into this fight.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...c57ce58&ei=316
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Kambosos Jr v Maxi Hughes

Missed any build for this one, just glad it’s on cable this week 😆. Internet fubar. Just hope we have an exciting fight or two. Looking for to Keyshawn!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will see if the undercard can keep me entertained enough to stay awake and watch it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keyshawn Davis vs Francesca Patera up first.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a freaky deaky head piece Keyshawn is coming in with. Please tell me this is a ten rounder for him.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Studying round for Davis. Patera was more active, although Davis seems to be measuring him up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Patera hangs the right hand out there too long. I can see Davis timing it for a counter left hook.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wish Davis was busier on his way in. Jab gets a little underutilized. Eye of Patera already a bit marked up?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm... Davis a bit too inactive. I'd have Patera ahead on the cards at this point.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Men over 40 are not meant to squint at phones like this btw. Keyshawn 3-0 starting to get to body.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is that giving up all that reel estate . Dude. Fire it up if you’re calling out world champs. In control but he can paint this fella.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did Davis just helicopter around because he won a round??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hmm... Davis a bit too inactive. I'd have Patera ahead on the cards at this point.
    You really have Patera up over 3? He Davis is a little too selective but all in on accuracy.

They put guys under so many lights they should expect extra scrutiny, but yeh time for Keyshawn to find a mean streak with obvious openings.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok Davis is busier now. But Compubox has it a shutout so far. I don't see it that way. Maybe Davis sneaking ahead.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ugh his counter off the ropes was looking for the tie up. Liking 6th for Patera, he’s forcing matters and ticked it up. Keyshawn eats solid left and two straight jabs at the bell.

Thread Information