Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighters with most resilient/ stubborn fan bases

What fighters out there seem to be "bullet-proof"?

By that I mean no matter what the guy does (or doesn't do).... his core of fans never waver.

I'll throw David Haye out there as an example. Guy has done next to nothing since he barged into the HW division demanding a shot at Wlad, which he got through his big mouth and then promptly turned into a pumpkin. Talks more than he fights.... yet he seems to have this bewildering ability to retain his core fandom.

Some people will mention Floyd, but I see Floyd as being a hell of a lot more disliked than liked.... even in his own country, which is usually not the case for fighters that have been as successful as he's been. You never saw a lot of rah-rah-rah for Floyd at his fights.

I will mention the likes of Canelo, though. Anointed as the next matinee idol wonder boy from Mexico since he was in diapers, he fattened his early record with a bunch of has-beens and never-will-bes... and when he got his first real test in the ring, was utterly shut out and embarrassed by Floyd. Since then he's perfected the JCC Jr. technique of fighting smaller men, bloating up by 20+ pounds at fight night. But the SIN OF ALL SINS, for a macho guy like Canelo, was totally and blatantly ducking GGG at 160, so he could go fight JCC Jr. at 165. He might as well have signed a document declaring his fear of Golovkin. Yet his fans don't seem to give a shit.

I'm gonna have to throw Wlad in there as well. He may not be universally liked in the States, but he's a humongous hit in Europe.... or at least in Germany and Ukraine. Yes, he's a decent guy... yes he's educated... yes he looks the part of the professional athlete... yes he's been very successful record-wise. But the reason he's not universally liked is his style. The way he's won many of his fights... and the way he morphed into a timid, prone-to-foul, defense-first-second-and-third type fighter has turned so many fans off that the HW division suffered because of it. Yet his loyal fans couldn't care less if he did a WWE headlock on the guy and pancaked him off the 3rd rope.

Not saying these guys don't deserve to have fans, only that it's strange how "bullet-proof" they are.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters with most resilient/ stubborn fan bases

Yes Haye. Maybe Gamboa.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pac fans are very hardcore. The suns shines out of his ass.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Manny Pac fans are very hardcore. The suns shines out of his ass.
    Yeah pretty much.

Mike Tyson fans...."If only Cus never died Mike Tyson would have ____________"
    A) Gone undefeated
    B ) Been the greatest boxer ever
    C) Been so amazing in the ring that he fought cancer (not a specific kind just cancer in general) and knocked it out in the first round
    D) All of the Above and then some

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather is a strange one, yes he is may be more hated than he is liked but those haters still pay to see his fights in the hope of seeing him get sparked, they line his pockets just as much as his fans do, I suppose he had the perfect strategy on that one

Pac fans are terrible, he can't do no wrong

In the UK the worst at the minute for me are the AJ fans, he hasn't done anything but he is unstoppable (he may well be, he's still untested) if you mention flawes in his game they jump on you, if you ask them what they think of prople like Rigo they look at you like you are a mad man because they have never heard of him. I don't blame the AJtards I blame the Sky media machine.

In a way I want AJ to get KTFO just so he can get the casuals off his case and can get on with a sensible career.

I would say without a shadow of a doubt the most resilient/stubbord fan base belongs to Tyson Fury...That is purely because of Ross though, 1 Ross = 1000000 fans

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure if he still has one but Amir Khans forum used to be comedy gold for unshakable mental Khan fans.

You could literally start Khan v Anyone or anything thread and you'd get some crazy taking it to heart.

For the record, Khan would be too fast for Hulk Hogan, Jaws (the shark or dude from Bond, it doesn't matter) and Steven Segal.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Not sure if he still has one but Amir Khans forum used to be comedy gold for unshakable mental Khan fans.

You could literally start Khan v Anyone or anything thread and you'd get some crazy taking it to heart.

For the record, Khan would be too fast for Hulk Hogan, Jaws (the shark or dude from Bond, it doesn't matter) and Steven Segal.
    I would ask you why did you even go to the Khan forum.

I am sure Naz forum would have been the same.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a thing back in the day. Go to fighters forums and cause trouble, it passed some time.

Without the John Ruiz forum (I think) the immortal line "I had Ruiz ahead against Tua at the time of the stoppage" would never have been born. I think someone here coined it, maybe @Mark TKO or Meunouk.

The Naz forum was Saddo's parent site. You have some respect.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha yes . And has been used many times since. I gave Fantana the line for his first article on Khan and how he was ahead prior to Prescott stoppage - it was someone here who used the line re Ruiz dominating the first 19 seconds of the Tua bout. In fact I thought it may be you ??

Fantana since used it re Audley v Haye, Wilder and someone else who kayoed him in first ?

Sigh. Great days
    Last edited by Mark TKO; 02-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Ha yes . And has been used many times since. I gave Fantana the line for his first article on Khan and how he was ahead prior to Prescott stopped it - it was someone here who used the line re Ruiz dominating the first 19 seconds of the Tua bout. In fact I thought it may be you ??

Fantana since used it re Audley v Haye, Wilder and someone else who kayoed him in first ?

Sigh. Great days
    Lord it's been a while since we've seen him Fantana/Menuouk.....next year is always Audley Harrison's year!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pac has hardcore fans to be sure, but Manny himself has done little to shoo away his fans. Sure, he was annihilated by JMM, and he's been suspected of doping, simply by his refusal to get tested at times. But outside the ring he's pretty much a cool guy, hasn't been caught cheating outright, and he's got some memorable wins on his record. Some of these other guys, meanwhile, do things that would make one's skin crawl... and still they maintain their fans.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Manny Pac has hardcore fans to be sure, but Manny himself has done little to shoo away his fans. Sure, he was annihilated by JMM, and he's been suspected of doping, simply by his refusal to get tested at times. But outside the ring he's pretty much a cool guy, hasn't been caught cheating outright, and he's got some memorable wins on his record. Some of these other guys, meanwhile, do things that would make one's skin crawl... and still they maintain their fans.
    A pretty cool guy? He's a Christian fundamentalist saying gays are lower than animals and giving his backing to the death squad president. There are probably nicer people in the world.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The cuban hawk Kid Gavillan; 143 pro fights, never EVER went to the canvas. Now that's what you call resilience.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    The cuban hawk Kid Gavillan; 143 pro fights, never EVER went to the canvas. Now that's what you call resilience.
    We are on about his fan base.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    A pretty cool guy? He's a Christian fundamentalist saying gays are lower than animals and giving his backing to the death squad president. There are probably nicer people in the world.

He has his controversial views.... who doesn't. Credit to him for being outspoken in his views. That being said, at least he doesn't embarrass himself out there like a Mayweather, like a Margarito, like any number of scummy people out there who happen to be professional boxers.

My point in this thread is there are certain fighters out there who could go out and commit mass murder... and their fan bases would STILL back them.
    They're "bullet-proof".

Thread Information