Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Davis Vs Gamboa

Who would win? TANK Davis vs ElCiclon Gamboa and details please. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Davis Vs Gamboa

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis's team to back off that approach and choose Mares or someone after Saturday till Gamboa is looking more questionable again. Not that Gamboa was that amazing or realized his full potential Saturday night (I think Martinez has definitely seen better days and his reflexes are shot. He looked pretty rigid coming in). The thing about Gamboa is you never know which Gamboa is going to show up. The guy who still show shades of his superstar potential or the guy who stopped caring, didn't train and wanted his check. I think somewhere in the recesses of his mind Gamboa possesses somewhat of a double edged sword. He has a DGAF attitude sometimes and runs off of instinct. Its good in that he fearlessly throws those shots without thinking sometimes as his superiority becomes obvious when he catches his opponents. The flipside of that is when something goes wrong or its too easy, he never questions why and gets caught and dropped on the seat of his pants and doesn't really change up the game plan.

So as much as I would love to see Gamboa humble Davis. (lets be honest, the tweets from Fifty to Floyd after his former fighter took the shine off Floyd's golden egg alone, would drive Floyd bananas) I think it probably goes like this... Gamboa starts looking good and Davis starts to look unsure. Gamboa hurts Davis on the inside, stays too long and eats one. Davis jumps on him having been bailed out by a hail mary and then Gamboa futilely tries to hold on while Davis throws everything plus the kitchen sink at him. Some big punches land, maybe a cuff to the back of the head and a shot on lower part of the belt get lost in the fray as Gamboa sprawls foward and the fight is stopped. Protest by Gamboa while Tank , Floyd and Bayless hop in the getaway car and swing by the bank.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa didn’t necessarily look great on Saturday. He fought someone who was completely done with boxing. Gamboa landed a few good punches, but they weren’t huge shots that should have stopped a game fighter.

I don’t think that Davis runs through Gamboa, but I do think he beats him pretty easily

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Style wise if push comes to shove it would at least be a potentially exciting fight but for a guy constantly being anointed 'the next' Mayweather..by Mayweather..why make your showcase breakout v a guy in Gamboa who has proven pretty inconsistent and so yesterday. Gamboa had grade A matchmaking Saturday in a Martinez who has always come hard hat in hand but you could see from the opening bell he looked out of sorts and stiff for the plucking. Gamboa put together some good combos but let him put together a few quality wins and market his rebirth before Davis. Davis can and increasingly must aim higher.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They put one of the fastest handed fighters, at his peak, to come along in a while, against one of the most slow handed former champions in recent history.

This had disaster written all over it for Martinez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They turned down Gary Russell I'd watch that over Farmer or Gamboa

Thread Information