Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this way too throw leading uppercuts?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this way too throw leading uppercuts?

If I were the guy working the mitts with the southpaw in the original video, there things I would find problematic. He is making his moves haphazardly, assuming that his trainer isn't going to bust him in the chin with the mitt. So he just leans around the 'punch' and has his chin way up in the air as he drops his hand and wings that 'uppercut.' An uppercut thrown with the lead hand is almost always going to be a counter punch. You have to slip the length of the punch and move your feet (and turn your shoulders) accordingly. The guy in the video is not doing that.
    If I were teaching that move...You want to push off your back foot to move your front foot, as you turn your shoulders over that front foot. This gets you inside of and under the punch. You are now between the opponent's hands and his body. You shift the weight back and bring up the punching hand, turning the fist so that the punch lands on the two large knuckles. It is a much tighter move than is shown in the video, and your chin is behind the shoulder until you are in a place where the other guy cannot reach you.
    Years ago, Tracy Spann was a murderous punching southpaw LW ranked very highly. He fought Honey Boy Paden, a slick boxer that didn't have a great record but gave everybody a full night's work. Paden had a lot of success early with a left uppercut, to the body and then to the head. And he got careless and didn't get past the Spann jab before he punched and Tracy hit him with a right hook. Almost corkscrewed his head off. Incidentally, the only difference in southpaws hitting righties and vice versa is the level of practice. Most southpaws fight more orthodox fighters than the other way around. If it works one way it will work the other if you set it up right.
    If you want to see a nearly perfect way to throw that punch skip into about the 29:00 mark of this video.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beautiful shot.

JMM used to throw that every once in a while.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to know where the weight should be placed inorder to throw the leading uppercut according to Fenech the weight is forward.Most Boxing Champs per nation - General Boxing Discussion - MaxBoxing.com Forums

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BCBUD View Post
    It's hard to know where the weight should be placed inorder to throw the leading uppercut according to Fenech the weight is forward.Most Boxing Champs per nation - General Boxing Discussion - MaxBoxing.com Forums
    Everything has variations.
    Personally I thnk its down to the circumstance and the direction the target is moving to , like when you adjust back slightly on an angle from being squared up and catch them coming in with one ,you could end up even having your rear heel facing the point of contact as you land it on the way out. Or you could slip to his inside and throw it slightly more off the front foot or the one you just placed in between his legs.
    You could also be more squared in stance nose to nose ducking weaving down there and throw it off either side depending on his direction.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Everything has variations.
    Personally I thnk its down to the circumstance and the direction the target is moving to , like when you adjust back slightly on an angle from being squared up and catch them coming in with one ,you could end up even having your rear heel facing the point of contact as you land it on the way out. Or you could slip to his inside and throw it slightly more off the front foot or the one you just placed in between his legs.
    You could also be more squared in stance nose to nose ducking weaving down there and throw it off either side depending on his direction.
    @Andre yep here's a clip of the great Chavez doing that... notice how his rear leg is almost straight 70-30 percent weight distribution towards the front. A Los Golpes Con Gennady Golovkin & Marco Antonio Rubio HD 720p - YouTube

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just trying to grasp the mechanics of this uppercut is the russian fighter stepping as he throws the uppercut?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just trying to grasp the mechanics of this uppercut is the russian fighter stepping as he throws the uppercut?
    Leading uppercut is a very andvanced techqniue, it is physically demanding. Personally, at this moment, I do not fully understand it yet. I suggets mastering basic punches first.

Check our recent stuff on uppercuts: http://www.sugarboxing.com/the-scien...boo-part-v/#C3

Read JD book, he explains more there. Actually, he did not believe in lead uppercuts at that time. Nowadays, guys like Tyson, Mayweather, Canelo, Ruddock, etc prove he was wrong.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    Leading uppercut is a very andvanced techqniue, it is physically demanding. Personally, at this moment, I do not fully understand it yet. I suggets mastering basic punches first.

Check our recent stuff on uppercuts: the science of mike tyson and elements of peek-a-boo part V | www.SugarBoxing.com

Read JD book, he explains more there. Actually, he did not believe in lead uppercuts at that time. Nowadays, guys like Tyson, Mayweather, Canelo, Ruddock, etc prove he was wrong.
    Thanx for upgrade to sugarboxing.com helps me understand better. Yes the russian fighter may not be stepping in just lifting the lead foot.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check our recent stuff on uppercuts: the science of mike tyson and elements of peek-a-boo part V | www.SugarBoxing.com

Thanx for upgrade to sugarboxing.com helps me understand better. Yes the russian fighter may not be stepping in just lifting the lead foot.
    Tyson threw lots of lead uppercuts, hopefully, we will break it down one day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please do and add scrap to the blog since he is an expert on peek-a-boo eventhough it's not his style. Watch scrap's tapes and you'll see him doing that same half twist.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please do and add scrap to the blog since he is an expert on peek-a-boo eventhough it's not his style. Watch scrap's tapes and you'll see him doing that same half twist.
    What do you mean by half twists? put here the link?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you mean by half twists? put here the link?
    Here's one link there are others, he's an expert on twisting... He and Kevin Rooney are probably the only coaches in the world that teach the correct fundlementals of twisting. I will keep searching bare in mind scrap publishes under various usernames.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jh711-C-ESU 4:31
    Here's the Kevin Rooney version https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4O4hY1x-hU where Kevin twists left Scrap twists to the right.
    Last edited by BCBUD; 12-01-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's one link there are others, he's an expert on twisting... He and Kevin Rooney are probably the only coaches in the world that teach the correct fundlementals of twisting. I will keep searching bare in mind scrap publishes under various usernames.
    Here's the Kevin Rooney version https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4O4hY1x-hU where Kevin twists left Scrap twists to the right.
    That was helpfull, thanx!

Could you please find time and post any teachings here like video or text if you saw it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was helpfull, thanx!

Could you please find time and post any teachings here like video or text if you saw it?
    Sure will!

Thread Information