Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default LARRY MERCHANTS POST FIGHT INTERVIEWS

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/200...interview.html
    April 22, 2006

MERCHANT:
    Emanuel you, saw how easily he handled Byrd in their first fight. Did you have concerns coming into the fight. And how did you plan to deal with him this time?

STEWARD:
    I know Byrd was trying to be more aggressive in the beginning. The trick was to keep his left hand in an extended position instead of bringing it back. Byrd, spent most of the fight trying to get out of the way of the left extended arm, he never caught a right hand.

MERCHANT:
    Did you think that in the last fight people thought you dragged Wladimir across the finish line. Was it more Wladimir tonight? Because the it looked that way.

STEWARD:
    Yeah, it was Wladimir on his own. You have got to remember the last two fights were undefeated fighters. So people know he is the best heavyweight out there.

MERCHANT:
    Who do you think he should fight next?

STEWARD:
    He told me he wants to fight 29 fights -- wants to unify the title because he really wants to fight another champion. If not, there has been talk about him fighting, another one for a best fight.

LAMPLEY:
    I've got a question for you Emanuel. All those years of dominance with Lennox Lewis. You were the architect for that. The season is constructed. Wladimir at 30. Can he become the champion that he was?

STEWARD:
    I think Wladimir has established himself as the contender. Don't think nothing in the amateurs is going to beat him. He could hang on.

MERCHANT:
    Joining us now is Wladimir Klitschko. Wladimir congratulations. How is this fight different for you than the first fight with Byrd?

KLITSCHKO:
    I've become stronger over the past five years. Chris Byrd showed a lot of heart, especially this fight. It was very difficult for him.

MERCHANT:
    According to Emanuel Steward, you were expecting him to be aggressive. You came out after him to show him that he could not be more aggressive than you?

KLITSCHKO:
    He was talking to me in the ring, trying to provoke me. It was quite a strategy.

MERCHANT:
    Do you think the strategy was as I thought it was that he was trying to have a fight with you like his cousin, Brewster and make you work so hard that you would get tired?

KLITSCHKO:
    I think so. I was going through a lot of bumps in my sports career. I think it makes me wiser. You know, to be a really successful.

MERCHANT:
    Do you feel that the criticism, which I think a lot of it was justified, questioning whether you had the toughness or the chin has motivated you to this level?

KLITSCHKO
    It is not about the chin. I can tell you one thing. If a guy who is 200 pounds is going to hit you it's not a question of chin. It is a question of situation. I proved my chin and knocked my opponent out.

MERCHANT
    I have one question. You said to us yesterday that you had too much success, too young. You lost your awkward arc. Are you confident that you will sustain the arc through the rest of your career?

KLITSCHKO
    I never lost my confidence even if outside there were question. I appreciate my team and brother. The Klitschko brothers made it a game. If one of us is successful, both of us are.

MERCHANT
    What would you look to do next?

KLITSCHKO
    Defend my title I plan on getting another one. Have two. Let's go for another belt.

MERCHANT
    Thank you. Congratulations on an outstanding performance Wladimir.

MERCHANT
    OK. Chris. You went to plan B tonight. After what happened in the first fight - It was a tough one.

BYRD
    It was very tough. Take nothing away from Wladimir Klitschko. I can be honest. He fought a great fight. I got hit with all kind of punches. Everything went great. And some things don't work for you. I thank the Lord that I had a chance to fight Klitschko. A big, strong boxer, I take nothing away from him.

MERCHANT
    The general impression was that he had showed a lack of toughness. And you felt, I believe that you're just tougher than he was and that was what was going to win it in the end.

BYRD
    Yeah, yeah, I think. It was knuckle-headed of me to think I was bigger and stronger than Wladimir Klitschko. He is 241 pounds of muscle. I am 212 pounds of bubbling up muscle. Real muscle. I felt go in there and push him around. I really thought so. It didn't work out for me. I was getting hit with all kind of punches. Things I didn't train for in sparring. Wladimir Klitschko is a big strong guy. Talented.

MERCHANT
    Rahman lives in Vegas the way you do. What would you tell him, going into a fight with Wladimir Klitschko?

BYRD
    Tell Rahman, big strong guy. Keep the hand up.
    Press him forward.
    Got to move the head.
    I wasn't moving my head.
    You have got to give him angles.
    Klitschko is so tall.
    Shooting down.
    A half step back.
    And getting his punches off.
    Just hard to fight.
    Hard for me to fight him.

MERCHANT
    What does this do for you as far as your career is concerned or do against you? Have you given it any thought? Coming into tonight - What if I lose?

BYRD
    Haven't given much thought. Go home talk to my wife, dad, mom. Everybody. Pray about it. See what comes out of it. You know I'm disappointed for sure. But you know. I still got a lot of boxing left in me I think. My wife, father. Sisters, brother would tell me. You need to quit. Or keep fighting. We'll see.

MERCHANT
    Do you find it amazing after you absorbed so much punishment, that the family at ringside instead of covering their eyes were still rooting you on?

BYRD
    Yeah, we are a tough family for real. You know, I have -- you know we always believed in coming back. We train so hard for it. As family we all know, I can come back from certain things. From just getting pounded. Thinking we always believe in miracles come back. -- just getting pounded. Thinking we always believe in miracles come back. A tough family like that. I thank the lord I'm in the position to fight a big man like Wladimir Klitschko. Take nothing away from him. A big strong guy. See you down the road in Las Vegas.

MERCHANT
    Thank you very much. Well, only final thoughts is something that you referred to earlier, Jim. I was stationed here at Mannheim, Germany in the army where I was a MORSE code operator. Dot, dot, dash. And then I got myself transferred to the stars and stripes service newspaper nearby. And covered my first fight there. One other footnote, I once went to interview Sandy Saddler who is a corporal at the same time as he was featherweight champion in the world at a nearby base. He said to me if you want to interview me you have to pay me. I haven't paid anyone for an interview yet. Certainly not tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: LARRY MERCHANTS POST FIGHT INTERVIEWS

CC

I enjoyed Byrd's response... I think he really knew what he did wrong which is great to see in a fighter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea, hes one of the few fighters that wears jesus paraphanelia and DOESNT say "gods will be done" when he looses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least byrd can look himself in the mirror and say that he tried to fight everyone and still has a good attitude about the outcome of the fight. Byrd got paid pretty good too!

Thread Information