Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Learning Punches at half speed?

Is it ok to learn punches throwing half speed? I feel like I'm compromising the snap in my punch but i want to get the technique down (particularly the left hook) so I'm not developing bad habits. Is the snap something I can incorporate as my technique improves or should I be throwing my punches fast?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Learning Punches at half speed?

You are not compromising the snap at all; in fact, if done properly, you are actually ingraining it in your 'large muscle memory'. When practicing in this fashion, at a snail's pace, you start from the ground and work up, just like when you punch for real. Using the straight right as an example, you begin by shifting the body weight over a straight left leg-slowly and emphatically you do this- and then the hips are turned through the center-line then the shoulders. All this at half speed. Then with a sudden and violent twist of the hips and shoulders that begins with a pivot inward on the right toe, drive your right arm into complete extention. If you have ever seen Arguello fight it was almost as if he were using that method- no hand speed, no muscle until the last instant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're doing a great job, learn the proper technique, and power and speed will come. Many young boxers have similar trouble when using bag gloves too heavy for them to begin with, and when fatigue sets in early, they compromise form just to finish the round. Start slow, learn the basics, then you can start to emphasis speed-strength and power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As long as when youre doing it youre learning about weight transfer, angles and correct body postion. Then slowly add more speed/power without comprimising technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that when learning anything new where technique and form are important, the best way to learn is to do it slow until you could do it in your sleep. It's easy to get sloppy when throwing punches fast that you havn't learnt properly to begin with.. so yeah, keep up the good work.

~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Thread Information