530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's next for Cotto

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    rematch Manny or winner of berto ortiz

I like Cotto's chances in both of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto next fight should be Alvarez for that is worth a PPV buy. Not Kirkland!!! But if Cotto dont fight Alvarez here a few other good fights for Cotto . . .
    Molina
    Lara
    K-9(trained by Manny Steward and have a title)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I wanted to get on the forum after the fight, but too many people watching at home… and then the post-fight cleanup. Went to sleep well into Sunday morning.

Now I’m reading all the posts about the fight and they’ve mostly been pretty spot on. I thought this was hands down one of Cotto’s best showings ever. Right up there with Cotto-Mosley and Cotto-Judah. He didn’t tire down the stretch… he put pressure on Floyd… he bloodied Floyd’s nose and made him work harder than he has in quite a while… he went to the body… and finally, he gave us fans a wonderful spectacle of a fight, just like I knew he would.

I would’ve loved for Cotto to pull off the upset, but Floyd clearly won the fight. Although I too have some misgivings about the margin of victory on the judges scorecards. I think it was closer than they scored it. I was also annoyed by Emamuel Stewart’s comments about Cotto’s performance after the fight. I thought he was too critical, pointing out what Cotto did wrong more than what he did right. I would’ve expected different from Stewart.

Cotto did me proud last night. He fought his heart out… and gave Floyd all he could handle. Props to Floyd for being up to the task. He showed why’s the world’s p4p #1. But no one in recent years has given Floyd the trouble Cotto did. Not Hatton, not Ortiz, not Mosley… not anyone.

And to those few posters that will now discredit Floyd rather than give credit to Cotto: C’mon…. stop it. Give credit where credit is due. This was an honest-to-goodness championship fight, between two ATG’s and future HOF’ers. Cotto brought it, and so did Floyd. The crowd was thoroughly entertained, just like I said it would be. Cotto is never in a “non-crowd-pleasing” fight.

Inevitably, there are those who now will say: “Pac would now beat Floyd”…. blah, blah, blah. It never fails. The guy ekes out a win… and now all of sudden he’s fresh prey for the others. Well… I wouldn’t get too carried away. Rather, I now even more strongly stand by my earlier statements that Cotto would’ve given Pacquiao a hell of a fight and possible beaten him, had he been with Pedro Diaz in his corner for that fight. As it was, Cotto was jabbing Pac’s head back and possible dominated the first couple of rounds. But he abandoned his fight plan. Last night’s Cotto would’ve very possibly beaten Pac. I said that then, and I say it now. No hate on Pac… just an opinion.

Let’s see where Cotto goes from here.
    Great Post @TitoFan - Cotto impressed me more in this losing effort than he had in his last three fights. I underestimated him. He fought hard until the end of the 12th round. I actually had Cotto winning 3-4 rounds and for the first time since Castillo, Mayweather looked vulnerable. The Cotto that fought Mayweather would be a tough fight for Pacquiao now. Frankly, I believe it's a toss up fight at this stage, and if Bradley doesn't beat him first, Pacquiao-Cotto II, makes a lot of sense. With regard to Mayweather, he did a great job against a quality opponent. He should be credited for the win. It was a good night for boxing. For the first time in what seems like a while, there was no controversy isurrounding a big fight. It was a fun fight too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    I have a similar question, is Cotto HoF worthy? If so, then why? He has a lot of good solid wins, but no marquee victory. One could argue Zab Judah or Shane Mosley but with no disrespect to Judah I just do not think a victory over him merits enterence to the Hall of Fame.

As for Mosley he was 36 years old and he's not a crafty boxer. He's a man who's reliant his speed and power rather than technique.

I like Cotto as a man as well as a boxer, he fight everyone. However he fought two elites and losts to both, granted in one, he was weight drained and was with a new ..really new trainer and came off after his first career lost but he still lost.

Im conflicted because I truly respect the man but I just can't think of a reason why he might be considered a Hall of Famer.

I would appreciate it if you could convince me otherwise.

Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but # 1, Cotto list of opponents reads like a "who's who" of boxing. He's never ducked anyone. He fought Margarito when everyone else was avoiding him. It's easy to forget now, that Margarito is damaged goods... but at that time he was the fighter nobody wanted to face. And he lost to a cheating Margarito, only to avenge the defeat last year. It's also easy to dismiss Mosley now, as over-the-hill. But he was not that far from his peak when Cotto beat him, and don't forget how he dismantled Margarito after losing to Cotto. Judah is in the same category. Easy to dismiss now, of course. But a feared fighter when he fought Cotto. You just can't ignore the element of time.

Even beyond those fighters, Cotto has fought and defeated fighters that others have ducked, like Joshua Clottey. And if you go back to Cotto's early career, his opponents include some very good names, included some who were undefeated at the time. It's easy to forget now, because years have passed. But you gotta look at the whole career, not just the last two or three years.

He has also shown the ability to adjust and re-invent himself. Just look at how he came back against Margarito in their 2nd clash, and fought a completely different fight. He stuck and moved... he pushed Margarito backwards... he skillfully spun off the ropes... and he chose when to engage Margarito, who is the naturally bigger, stronger man.

Then there's the HOF issue itself. People here have made arguments for fighters like Hatton belonging in the Hall. I'll be damned if Hatton is HOF-worthy and Cotto isn't, when Miguel has had the better career. And not just Hatton. Other fighters have been mentioned as HOF-worthy here, whose resumes just don't stack up to Cotto's.

But like I said.... it's a matter of opinion. Mine is that Cotto belongs there.
    And for what it's worth, he's been a champion in three weight classes. It's a close call to me. If Cotto got one more marquee win, maybe over Alvarez, or another top junior middleweight, or better yet, avenged his Pacquiao loss, he's in, I think.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    Cotto next fight should be Alvarez for that is worth a PPV buy. Not Kirkland!!! But if Cotto dont fight Alvarez here a few other good fights for Cotto . . .
    Molina
    Lara
    K-9(trained by Manny Steward and have a title)
    Cotto only fights marquee, big-name fighters at this stage in his career so Lara, Molina or Bundrage are fights that won't be made. Cotto versus Martinez or Alvarez are the fights to make for him at 154. Both are ppv-worthy events. Oscar said that Alvarez isn't ready for Mayweather. At 21, that's completely fair. Is he ready for Cotto? I'm not sure either. It's a closer call.

Even after Cotto's performance, I still stand by the fact that Cotto is fighting at 154 because it's easier for him to make weight, not because it's his most effective weight class. A true strong junior middleweight would give him a tough fight, just based on size. I really thought we were seeing two true welterweights fighting at 154 on Saturday.

El Kabong Guest

Cotto vs Martinez interests me the most. Sergio is a smallish middleweight and Cotto has had good success vs southpaws. Perhaps Cotto-Paul Williams would sell. Cotto-Alvarez, Cotto-Kirkland, Cotto-Vanes, etc.

Miguel has earned another big money fight, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight the Berto-Ortiz winner either.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Cotto vs Martinez interests me the most. Sergio is a smallish middleweight and Cotto has had good success vs southpaws. Perhaps Cotto-Paul Williams would sell. Cotto-Alvarez, Cotto-Kirkland, Cotto-Vanes, etc.

Miguel has earned another big money fight, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight the Berto-Ortiz winner either.
    Not a a bad call. In terms of big pay days, it's Martinez, Berto/Ortiz winner, and Alvarez in that order, I think for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto lost but he has many more options than Floyd who won.

Alvarez and Martinez wonuld be 2 big fights for him for starters.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight canelo if he wins then rematch paquiao if he wins that rematch floyd then maybe retire.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Alvarez is Cotto's best option
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I wanted to get on the forum after the fight, but too many people watching at home… and then the post-fight cleanup. Went to sleep well into Sunday morning.

Now I’m reading all the posts about the fight and they’ve mostly been pretty spot on. I thought this was hands down one of Cotto’s best showings ever. Right up there with Cotto-Mosley and Cotto-Judah. He didn’t tire down the stretch… he put pressure on Floyd… he bloodied Floyd’s nose and made him work harder than he has in quite a while… he went to the body… and finally, he gave us fans a wonderful spectacle of a fight, just like I knew he would.

I would’ve loved for Cotto to pull off the upset, but Floyd clearly won the fight. Although I too have some misgivings about the margin of victory on the judges scorecards. I think it was closer than they scored it. I was also annoyed by Emamuel Stewart’s comments about Cotto’s performance after the fight. I thought he was too critical, pointing out what Cotto did wrong more than what he did right. I would’ve expected different from Stewart.

Cotto did me proud last night. He fought his heart out… and gave Floyd all he could handle. Props to Floyd for being up to the task. He showed why’s the world’s p4p #1. But no one in recent years has given Floyd the trouble Cotto did. Not Hatton, not Ortiz, not Mosley… not anyone.

And to those few posters that will now discredit Floyd rather than give credit to Cotto: C’mon…. stop it. Give credit where credit is due. This was an honest-to-goodness championship fight, between two ATG’s and future HOF’ers. Cotto brought it, and so did Floyd. The crowd was thoroughly entertained, just like I said it would be. Cotto is never in a “non-crowd-pleasing” fight.

Inevitably, there are those who now will say: “Pac would now beat Floyd”…. blah, blah, blah. It never fails. The guy ekes out a win… and now all of sudden he’s fresh prey for the others. Well… I wouldn’t get too carried away. Rather, I now even more strongly stand by my earlier statements that Cotto would’ve given Pacquiao a hell of a fight and possible beaten him, had he been with Pedro Diaz in his corner for that fight. As it was, Cotto was jabbing Pac’s head back and possible dominated the first couple of rounds. But he abandoned his fight plan. Last night’s Cotto would’ve very possibly beaten Pac. I said that then, and I say it now. No hate on Pac… just an opinion.

Great Post @TitoFan - Cotto impressed me more in this losing effort than he had in his last three fights. I underestimated him. He fought hard until the end of the 12th round. I actually had Cotto winning 3-4 rounds and for the first time since Castillo, Mayweather looked vulnerable. The Cotto that fought Mayweather would be a tough fight for Pacquiao now. Frankly, I believe it's a toss up fight at this stage, and if Bradley doesn't beat him first, Pacquiao-Cotto II, makes a lot of sense. With regard to Mayweather, he did a great job against a quality opponent. He should be credited for the win. It was a good night for boxing. For the first time in what seems like a while, there was no controversy isurrounding a big fight. It was a fun fight too.

You are 100% correct. Boxing needed a terrific fight like that. So glad Cotto delivered big. He didn't get the "W".... but he did himself and us fans proud. Mayweather showed some good sportsmanship praising Cotto after the fight. He knows he was in a real fight. This is one fight I can't wait to see again. It was entertaining as hell.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Cotto abandoned his fight plan against Pac because he got the fuck beat out of him by a superior fighter. Simple as.

Cotto is a great fighter that put up a great performance against Floyd.

You can give him huge credit without making silly excuses for his previous defeats. Lets keep it real.

This makes no sense. I'd say that he "got the fuck beat out of him" BECAUSE he abandoned his fight plan, not the other way around. And since when can't we speculate on how fighter "X" would've done in a fight under other circumstances? Oh yeah, right..... 'cause it's Cotto, the fighter you love to hate.

Cotto fought a level fight for two rounds, got seriously hurt and knocked down in the 3rd, got seriously hurt and knocked down in the 4th, then fought the rest of the fight completely on the defensive trying to survive, before finally being saved from the torture.

Pac beat the shit out of Cotto. Floyd boxed the shit out of Cotto. He did well in both fights.

No excuses needed. Fact.
    No excuses given. It's ok to speculate how Cotto would've done against Pacquiao with a trainer like Pedro Diaz in his corner and a gameplan like he had last night for Floyd. And from my point of view, last night was hardly "Floyd boxed the shit out of Cotto." But you're completely biased, and never accept defeat.

Fact.
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. How can I be "defeated" if I'm not even competing? I've simply stated how events played out.

Pac beat the shit out of Cotto. Fact.
    Floyd beat a UD into Cotto. Fact.

You are 100% entitled to speculate on what might have happened. I'm just stating what factually happened. Nothing more, nothing less.
    If you were "factually" stating what happened, you would have said that Pacquiao beat the shit out of Cotto at a catchweight of 145lbs and with no trainer" - As it stands, you're being selective in your so-called facts.

Here's a "fact" for you though because I know you like facts : Pacquiao refused to fight Cotto in a rematch unless it was at 145..why is this if he so handily beat the shit out of Miguel in their first fight? (Not to mention that he is the fucking WELTERWEIGHT champion of the world NOT the 145lb champion)

To follow on from that, I would love a Pac vs Cotto rematch. I fancy Cotto to take him to the cleaners at 154. Why not? Doesn't Pacquiao formerly hold at belt at Light Middle? Or was that the 150lb belt he vacantly (and fraudalently won) against Marg?

Unfortunately team Pac will continue to sell snake oil to the Pac fans all over the world. I wish Pac would fire about 85% of his retarded team and develop a brain to think for himself. Bob Arum would be first to go and Roach wouldn't be calling any shots for Pac either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    rematch Manny or winner of berto ortiz

I like Cotto's chances in both of those.
    I agree!. But if it was me to decide as a fan I'd rather have him one more big fight then retire. At this point it's not his skills or physicality that will betray him but the tensile strength of his skin Miguel has onion skin. Even with his loss to PBF I would still consider that one of his signature fights.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

You are 100% correct. Boxing needed a terrific fight like that. So glad Cotto delivered big. He didn't get the "W".... but he did himself and us fans proud. Mayweather showed some good sportsmanship praising Cotto after the fight. He knows he was in a real fight. This is one fight I can't wait to see again. It was entertaining as hell.
    Cotto was 50% of the equation Tito.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Thread Information